"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

One of the things I like about my Panasonics (GX1, G3, GH1) is that they let me use shutter speeds of 1/500 with my Pannie external flash unit even when flash is bounced.

now that is interesting
i can get up to max speed on my panasonic FZ but i thought that was because the lens was fixed and the shutter might be a leaf type
so...is the shutter in the GX1 that type or if its removable lens...the shutter is in the body and a focal plane type
cheers
geof

i feel lost on this any one explain the reason for the higher synch speed?

Is that because the external flash has hi-speed flash? My G2 has a sync speed of 1/160, so unless the ext flash has hi speed capacity, it will sync at 1/160 as well.

I use hi speed flash on the canon with ext flash for fill in at weddings on sunny days. With hi speed turned off, the camera will sync at 1/250.

correct me please but if the focal plane shutter can move fast enough...then that is the synch speed...the time which both blinds are open
ie no 2 is just moving as no 1 is fully open...so that the flash light will show the whole scene illuminated evenly without any banding..??

could be i am still in the archaic days of mechanical bodies

I feel it is time I asked for some assistance with this. I will admit that despite being "into" photography for the past decade (digital) adapters are something I have always shied away from. Could yourself or someone tell me where I can start reading about them? Can you buy adapters for m43rds for say Canon EF? Nikon lenses?
I would like to use some of my father's old original Olympus OM lenses if possible. That would be cool. :)

Also, I assume (haven't checked yet) the Panasonic G2 when you focus in manual mode and it zooms in some what to aid focus checking, you can adjust how much it zooms?

Try here for an OM adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...+adapter+olympus&_sop=2&_osacat=625&_from=R40

Fotodiox do one around £30.00 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Ad...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338226667&sr=1-1

Olympus make one for 10 times the price http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/3432/Olympus-MF-2-OM-Adapter.html

I have had 2 adapters for Pentax , one a cheapo Chinese ebay special and another a fotodiox one which came with a lens and would have cost around £30.00. Couldn't see much difference in quality so sold the Fotodiox.

You can get many other adapters, but since you have access to your fathers Ms I'd stick with those for now.

now that is interesting
i can get up to max speed on my panasonic FZ but i thought that was because the lens was fixed and the shutter might be a leaf type
so...is the shutter in the GX1 that type or if its removable lens...the shutter is in the body and a focal plane type
cheers
geof

The shutter is exactly like yours Geof, the other user must be using a high speed capable flash gun.

From memory, most Oly/Panasonic flashes are HS compatible (as well as some of the Metz guns).

A quick search finds the following list of high speed flashes (FP-TTL), if you want to use higher than x-sync you'll need one of these Geof.

Olympus FL-36
Olympus FL-36R
Olympus FL-50
Olympus FL-50R
Panasonic DMW-FL360 (likely a copy of the FL-36 under license)
Panasonic DMW-FL500 (likely a copy of the FL-50 under license)
Metz 48 (with firware installed to add Olympus High Speed Sync, Metz's name for FP-TTL)
Metz 58.

Try here for an OM adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...+adapter+olympus&_sop=2&_osacat=625&_from=R40

Fotodiox do one around £30.00 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Ad...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338226667&sr=1-1

Olympus make one for 10 times the price http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/3432/Olympus-MF-2-OM-Adapter.html

I have had 2 adapters for Pentax , one a cheapo Chinese ebay special and another a fotodiox one which came with a lens and would have cost around £30.00. Couldn't see much difference in quality so sold the Fotodiox.

You can get many other adapters, but since you have access to your fathers Ms I'd stick with those for now.

Cheers broadway I will investigate what lenses he has and post back here for opinions on whether they are any good. :) He used to get cracking photos though in the film days.

Moved to Main Equipment Thread prefixed [CSC]

Last edited:
I have the GX1 with a 20mm (great lens) and the 14-42mm X PZ (VERY poor lens)

I am thinking of adding a telephoto and as far as I can make out my options are;

Lumix G X 45-175mm
Lumix G 45-200mm
Lumix G 100-300mm

Does anyone have any recommendations or views?

Mark

I've just started using a gx1/14-42/EVF with 45-175 zoom. As far as the 45-175 lens is concerned, it is TINY! Its a brilliant combo for a really lightweight outfit and fits nicely in a Lowepro Apex 110AW shoulder bag.

Now, what are the results like? I've only had a few back so far but i was pleased. The one below is unprocessed at 135mm (270 equivalent) at iso 160 and f10.

http://

No Tide going out !!

Forgot to adjust before posting ....SOOOOORRY:bonk::LOL::bang:

Is this any better ? or is it my 78 year old eyes just going funny after two cateracts.

Last edited:
Still a slight incline to my eyes.

Good for waterskiing though... ;)

I have the GX1 with a 20mm (great lens) and the 14-42mm X PZ (VERY poor lens)

I am thinking of adding a telephoto and as far as I can make out my options are;

Lumix G X 45-175mm
Lumix G 45-200mm
Lumix G 100-300mm

Does anyone have any recommendations or views?

Mark
Can I suggest you post this as a post in the equipment forum with the prefix [CSC] (which is actually a link to all posts tagged with CSC). We need to start getting more posts asking questions rather than having a single post effectively being a subforum.

BTW: I have no input into your dilemma :(

Not sure if i should be posting on this thread or the CSC (which i can't find) but here goes.

I have G3 and am away from home for a couple of weeks. To help pass the time i would like to look at a book (find the panny manual a bit brief and uninspiring) about it but cannot find any to download to the Kindle from Amazon. I have found

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide [Kindle Edition]

which is only £6.83. Would it cover much of the G3 menus etc or would it be a waste of money?

Any experiences?

superpippo said:
Not sure if i should be posting on this thread or the CSC (which i can't find) but here goes.

I have G3 and am away from home for a couple of weeks. To help pass the time i would like to look at a book (find the panny manual a bit brief and uninspiring) about it but cannot find any to download to the Kindle from Amazon. I have found

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide [Kindle Edition]

which is only £6.83. Would it cover much of the G3 menus etc or would it be a waste of money?

Any experiences?

I have this book and have recently upgraded my G2 to a G3. It is an excellent book and I think you will find the vast majority of it relevant for the G3. I find the menu structure of the G3 is not vastly different to the G3. Obviously there will be some info that isn't relevant/is different but I think you will be able to work it out. For that price I would definitely say its worth it.

Any experiences?

Think Andy's suggestion above is relating to folks posting new threads prefixed with 'CSC' so specific questions can be answered in their own thread. Seems very sensible given the the size of this thread, as stated essentially becoming a sub-forum.

Last edited:
I have this book and have recently upgraded my G2 to a G3. It is an excellent book and I think you will find the vast majority of it relevant for the G3. I find the menu structure of the G3 is not vastly different to the G3. Obviously there will be some info that isn't relevant/is different but I think you will be able to work it out. For that price I would definitely say its worth it.

Thanks Mark - as long as 80% is relevant I think good buy for the money, now that you have commended it.

Think Andy's suggestion above is relating to folks posting new threads prefixed with 'CSC' so specific questions can be answered in their own thread. Seems very sensible given the the size of this thread, as stated essentially becoming a sub-forum.

Ah that seems more clear, thanks

Well I made a decision, I wanted to add the 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 to my M43 setup. After ringing around nobody has any stock and are quoting 3 weeks delivery :shrug:

Mark

Panasonic 20mm £216 at Argos eBay Outlet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONIC...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item53ed2efb55

Be quick the last lot sold in an instant!

Mine arrived yesterday :clap: The site warns that these items bought via the Outlet store may be returns or may have slight marks on the packaging. I found no evidence of this at all. It, including the packaging, is pristine and appeared unopened.

So that'll be a new pancake for the price of a second hand one :D

And I get and extra 5% cashback ;) :D

So, thanks for the heads up (y)

A quick search finds the following list of high speed flashes (FP-TTL), if you want to use higher than x-sync you'll need one of these Geof.

thanks Dave
still a bit confused over focal plane activity though
i am a bit behind the times i guess ...still in the film mentality
cheers
geof

2blue4u said:
Mine arrived yesterday :clap: The site warns that these items bought via the Outlet store may be returns or may have slight marks on the packaging. I found no evidence of this at all. It, including the packaging, is pristine and appeared unopened.

So that'll be a new pancake for the price of a second hand one :D

And I get and extra 5% cashback ;) :D

So, thanks for the heads up (y)

Don't forget to try for the cash back too!

Thanks Andy, I wish I had that info yesterday :’( As it is i am getting married tomorrow so won’t be here to accept the order even if it did arrive in time and I wanted it for the Cruise I go on early Monday.

Guess I shall have to do without it:shrug:

Mark

Your bride will make up for that :) Gongrat's Mark and have a great time:)

Re the synch speeds on a G1...and perhaps others

yes, here is panasonics reply

Thank you for your enquiry. I sincerely apologise for the delays in responding to your email. We have had some technical issues which have now been resolved.

In regards to your original question, The camera has a focal plane shutter which will synchronise with the flash gun up to maximum 1/160 sec.

On Auto and Auto with red eye reduction the flash does not work ( as the camera senses it does not require the flash)

On forced flash on mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed to 1/160 sec.

I believe the information on page 61 is misprinted. I have tested this on a DMC-G1 and camera will only synchronise at 1/160 second. This is the norm for focal plane shutters.

You will have to balance the flash power (not possible with built in flash) with the ambient light by either using a neutral density filter or by reducing the flash power with a diffuser. Some external flashguns will allow you to control the flash power (intensity) for fill in flash.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by sending an email using this form: www.panasonic.co.uk/email please include your ticket reference in the message.

Kind Regards,

Joseph McLachlan
Online Support Team
Customer Communications Centre
Panasonic UK

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Geof.....just as we thought then!

Re the synch speeds on a G1...and perhaps others

yes, here is panasonics reply

Thank you for your enquiry. I sincerely apologise for the delays in responding to your email. We have had some technical issues which have now been resolved.

In regards to your original question, The camera has a focal plane shutter which will synchronise with the flash gun up to maximum 1/160 sec.

On Auto and Auto with red eye reduction the flash does not work ( as the camera senses it does not require the flash)

On forced flash on mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed to 1/160 sec.

I believe the information on page 61 is misprinted. I have tested this on a DMC-G1 and camera will only synchronise at 1/160 second. This is the norm for focal plane shutters.

You will have to balance the flash power (not possible with built in flash) with the ambient light by either using a neutral density filter or by reducing the flash power with a diffuser. Some external flashguns will allow you to control the flash power (intensity) for fill in flash.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by sending an email using this form: www.panasonic.co.uk/email please include your ticket reference in the message.

Kind Regards,

Joseph McLachlan
Online Support Team
Customer Communications Centre
Panasonic UK

That is a good example of customer support there, well done Panasonic(y)

I have some questions about my Panasonic G2 and 20mm if you please guys. :)

1: Is there a way (firmware) that adjusts how quickly the Panasonic 20mm lens manually focuses from macro to infinity? i.e. You have to turn it fully around a good three times perhaps to go from one to the other, as opposed to say 1 x 90 degree sweep like most decent manual lenses. Is this a limitation of the lens and nothing will cahnge it as it moves the glass when you turn it? i.e. You would have to take the lens apart as it is a mechanical limitation?

2: When you use manual focus and you set it to zoom in on the subject to assist focusing, I see you can set it to I think there were 3 settings. 1=off, 2=middle, 3=very zoomed in. I want something between 1=off and 2=middle, is it possible to adjust this or set this somehow? I cannot see a way. Also is there a way to have some sort of highlighting method to show you when you have selected good focus based on contrast? I think some of the Sony NEX range do this focus peak trick?

3: I want to buy an adapter to use old style Olympus OM (film) Lenses on my Panasonic G2. I think this means buying the Olympus MF-2 adapter. It is £150 on amazon. Yet on ebay HERE there is something for £22 which I think does the same job? I am assuming this will work ok since all it does is literally mount it to the body straight. It does no other job as focus would have to be all manual. I read a review on Amazon of somebody complaining it did not work with their G1 but I think this might be because you need to set the body to "shoot without lens" somewhere as it obviously would not detect a lens.
Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited:
I have some questions about my Panasonic G2 and 20mm if you please guys. :)

1: Is there a way (firmware) that adjusts how quickly the Panasonic 20mm lens manually focuses from macro to infinity? i.e. You have to turn it fully around a good three times perhaps to go from one to the other, as opposed to say 1 x 90 degree sweep like most decent manual lenses. Is this a limitation of the lens and nothing will cahnge it as it moves the glass when you turn it? i.e. You would have to take the lens apart as it is a mechanical limitation?

It is a mechanical limitation as you say and no firmware or taking it apart will alter that in my opinion.

Back