"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Graham I was thinking about trying to start a photography business hence the 1DmkIV. It was just never going to work for me so I have sold the mkIV and I am thinking I might just enjoy photography with less gear. I have been enjoying it less and less the more I have tried to search for perfection in technique and gear. I was thinking about getting a 7D to replace the mkIV but now I am very seriously thinking of just getting a GH2 and selling off all my Canon L lenses. It would free up some cash and some weight in my bag! I mostly use my camera when I am on holiday etc so something lightweight would be ideal.

My sister has looked a Panasonic mirrorless before to replece her DSLR as she says that the DSLR is too big and she's just mentioned changing again today.

I've looked on Warehouse express and the G10 and G2 seem to look pretty similar, and both look a bit of a bargain too but what's the difference between them? They only seem to be £100 or so apart but is one better than the other?

The G10 doesnt have the fold out rear screen or touch technology. Either a blessing or a curse, whichever way you look at it.
The EVF is also lower quality than the G1 G2 and GH1.

Basically, its a stripped down version of the G2
Allan

Thanks.

I don't know how my sister feels but if it was me spending the money I think I'd be willing to pay the extra for the articulated screen.

I'll pass this info to her.

They both look a bit of a bargain.

I've just been reading that the GH2 had AF tracking in video with firmware v.02 but doe's not with v1.0. Anyone know if it would be possible to get hold of the older firmware and install it?

Andy S

other than the obvious differences between flash / EVF, when it comes down to it how much does the G2 differ from the GF2?

I've just been reading that the GH2 had AF tracking in video with firmware v.02 but doe's not with v1.0. Anyone know if it would be possible to get hold of the older firmware and install it?

Andy S

If you can find a copy of the original firmware, all you have to do is open it in the firmware hack software, EDIT NOTHING, then save it as the newest version +0.1, IE if you're on v1.2 you save it as v1.3 then add it to the camera, the camera thinks it's v1.3 but in reality you're running the original. (or any other variation you want)

other than the obvious differences between flash / EVF, when it comes down to it how much does the G2 differ from the GF2?

Sensor size is different. The G2 is 12MP, the GH2 is 18MP and the GH2 has more control over video shooting, where you can adjust frame rate and shutter speed.

Its slightly taller than the G2 as well.

Allan

Been out mountain biking with the GF1 again today - up Hellvellyn in the Lakes. Usual selection of nice friendly walkers telling us we were mental, everyone very good spirited. :)

Weather was like this most of the way up:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (1 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Then got a bit drizzly:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (2 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

No view at all on the top:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (3 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

But then we were rewarded with this:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (4 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Great day out though - only the second proper mountain ride I've managed to do since getting ill with CFS/ME and being off the bike completely for about 9 months. Hopefully I will manage a few more this summer.

:D

Nice shots Graham, looks good fun too. I havent been along there since 1970ish!
Allan

Been out mountain biking with the GF1 again today - up Hellvellyn in the Lakes. Usual selection of nice friendly walkers telling us we were mental, everyone very good spirited. :)

Weather was like this most of the way up:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (1 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Then got a bit drizzly:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (2 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

No view at all on the top:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (3 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

But then we were rewarded with this:

Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (4 of 4) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Great day out though - only the second proper mountain ride I've managed to do since getting ill with CFS/ME and being off the bike completely for about 9 months. Hopefully I will manage a few more this summer.

:D

Nice shots Graham, weather was the same on our way back from North Wales today too. Glad to see you back and about on your bike and the ME is in control.(y)

Nice one Graham. Glad you enjoyed the ride and very nice views. Thinking of going upto Winlatter over Easter.

Although they have the same 12MP sensor, the GF2 has an improved processor which gives it 1080p video and quicker AF although frustratingly the GF2 lacks flash exposure compensation.

John

Some of my recent ones...

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a7.jpg

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

a16.jpg

a17.jpg

PS. They're all hand held and the night time ones were auto ISO.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's happened to mu-43.com? I've not been on this week and when I've come along today i get an "account suspended" page. It appears to be the hosting account rather than my user account. I think.

Oh. Its was fine earlier, looks like someone didn't pay the bill.
:(

Cracking pics those Woof Woof.
love the night ones and the two canal ones.

finally got out and used the GF1 at weekend.
Not had any real inclination recently.

Metal Monsters by spg_mutts, on Flickr

Bit of fun post-processing in LR.
Still hankering after a dSLR though but will keep the GF1.

Thanks.

I really like this picture...

P1020729sc.jpg

ISO 1250.

It's my girlfriends car in her favourite parking place. I like it because it brings back memories of the holiday and shows a bit of the character of the place.

i've been tryng to sell my metz 44 af (panasonic fit) flashgun that i use with my G1 on another forum as i'm after a fl360. funny thing is i'm trying to find a new one (FL360) out there and every single shop seems to be out of stock and is constantly waiting for stock. why? is it the earthquake? i was really surprised.

can anyone shed any light?

Last edited:
Getting to grips with the 'manual focus' on my G1, coupled with the pin sharp 14-45mm lens, I can get in really 'up close and personal':

1000no2verycloseblurbellrwP1010094.jpg

Need to work on composition may be . . . ?

CJS

Hi all,

I thought it was about time I posted some of my shots in this thread after spending the last few months reading it and getting some GF1 feedback!

I've always used Canon gear and currently shoot portraits/landscapes with my 40D/Tamron 17-50/Tokina 12-24. However, with having 2 young kids and the associated clothes/food/nappies that are always needed I decided it was time to get a smaller alternative to my 40D for days out and holidays etc without compromising quality and I definitely think the GF1 fits the requirement after shooting with it for the last month. I'm currently using the 14-45 and a 25mm F1.4 CCTV lens as well as sometimes using my canon lenses using an adaptor :)

1) Dandelion using 25mm CCTV lens

5596458500_c9f17916fd.jpg

2) Daisy with same lens

5595877899_eef0d64f86.jpg

3) My baby girl Chloe using a bit of Strobism! SB-600 in a softbox, camera left, SB-600 behind Chloe with stofen difuser firing behind her at a white popup background.

5629050642_3443a8df07.jpg

4) Chloe using the 25mm CCTV lens again

5628467091_96a2227659.jpg

I've really been amazed at the colour rendition from the GF1. The strobist shot is pretty much out of camera with only a slight shadow boost so that blows my 40D out of the water for a straight out of camera shot.

All feedback appreciated but I just wanted to put some of my shots into this excellent thread.

Cheers
Steve

3) My baby girl Chloe using a bit of Strobism! SB-600 in a softbox, camera left, SB-600 behind Chloe with stofen difuser firing behind her at a white popup background.

All feedback appreciated but I just wanted to put some of my shots into this excellent thread.

Cheers
Steve[/QUOTE]

nice lighting in 3 and 4. nice shots.

Nice pics folks.

The GF1 came in handy again on a day that didn't look that promising for photography, so I probably wouldn't have bothered taking the SLR.

GF1 and 14-45

Ingleborough by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

BTW it looks as though I have just got a rather nice paid commission based on my website portfolio, which is almost all taken with Panasonic G Series cameras - so much for those who say the IQ 'isn't good enough' etc!

Last edited:
Is there an adaptor ring for the GF2 that would allow me to use Canon lenses and retain the AF? How about for other types of lenses?

Basically I want to see how the GF2 performs with aircraft in flight but I don't want to shell out for a dedicated M4/3 lens in case it's not very good at that type of photography. I have Canon lenses that I could use.

As far as I'm aware, all adaptor are passive as the camera body can't communicate with non-oem designed lenses. Also, as good as the gf1 is, its af speed isn't a match for my 40d in fast conditions.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Hi all,

I thought it was about time I posted some of my shots in this thread after spending the last few months reading it and getting some GF1 feedback!

I've always used Canon gear and currently shoot portraits/landscapes with my 40D/Tamron 17-50/Tokina 12-24. However, with having 2 young kids and the associated clothes/food/nappies that are always needed I decided it was time to get a smaller alternative to my 40D for days out and holidays etc without compromising quality and I definitely think the GF1 fits the requirement after shooting with it for the last month. I'm currently using the 14-45 and a 25mm F1.4 CCTV lens as well as sometimes using my canon lenses using an adaptor :)

1) Dandelion using 25mm CCTV lens

5596458500_c9f17916fd.jpg

2) Daisy with same lens

5595877899_eef0d64f86.jpg

4) Chloe using the 25mm CCTV lens again

5628467091_96a2227659.jpg

I've really been amazed at the colour rendition from the GF1. The strobist shot is pretty much out of camera with only a slight shadow boost so that blows my 40D out of the water for a straight out of camera shot.

Cheers
Steve

Impressive - any more details on which lens? I've been toying with getting one of these CCTV whatsits for a while for shallow DOF work.

ooh - and EMA747, there are no non 4/3/m4/3 lenses that will AF on any m4/3 body. Although I'm sure some whizz kid could easily make an adapter that would allow it with at least some lenses out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's the deal with the cctv lens? is it just for really shallow DOF? daft question but manual focus?

Back