"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

vaizki said:
Another Samyang fisheye shot.. this is more typical because there's verticals in the shot:

The shopping centre one above in B&W is very forgiving with it's round shapes :)

That's neat, thanks again. Looking forward to receiving my fisheye now

Oh well... GX1 and 14-42 non-X ordered and 14mm pancake bought second hand. :D

I've been itching to get out and about with my G1 for the last few days, but its been pretty much constant rain since Friday night. So frustrating when you've got a new toy to play with!

Does anyone have any recommendations on a small case or carry bag for the Panasonic's? I'm looking for something to keep the kit safe in when I'm not using it.

ShrubMonkey said:
That's neat, thanks again. Looking forward to receiving my fisheye now

Would be really interested to hear what you think of the lens when it arrives and you've had a chance to put it through its paces!

Cheers,

Simon.

Well my hand slipped on Amazon and I've ordered the Walimex fisheye (black) :naughty:

I am going for the Samyang, don't care for the name Walimex plastered on the front of my G3 :D

**Edit** My hand has also slipped, a Samyang in black arrives on Wednesday :D

Last edited:
Galaxy66 said:
I am going for the Samyang, don't care for the name Walimex plastered on the front of my G3 :D

Who did you order from if you don't mind me asking?

srhmoto said:
Would be really interested to hear what you think of the lens when it arrives and you've had a chance to put it through its paces!

Cheers,

Simon.

Will do, need to get it past the wife first when it arrives :D

Galaxy66 said:

Haha shallow badge desire :)

But you got it about same price as me anyway. I don't care about the name, prefer to buy from Amazon as I have Amazon credit card and get vouchers when I spend :)

Haha shallow badge desire :)

But you got it about same price as me anyway. I don't care about the name, prefer to buy from Amazon as I have Amazon credit card and get vouchers when I spend :)

Yes I normally prefer buying from Amazon but it was cheaper than Amazon at £246.97 inc RMSD and I know exactly when it will arrive...it wasn't the name..honestly Julian :nuts:

Looking to get the Panny 100-300 for my G3. Currently have the 45-200 but it seems soft at 200.

Whats peoples thoughts on it I know that I am not going to get the same pictures that i got when I had a dslr and the nikon 70-300 but hope that it is better than the tamron 70-300 i used to have. Ive heard the IS is good since the firmware upgrade.

Andy.

And my GX1 has arrived. I'm very impressed with the few test shots I've done so far. Now, as I bought it 'cos I'm off to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, do I get a Samyang to go with it? Hmmmmmm....

do I get a Samyang to go with it? Hmmmmmm....
It appears I have... How did that happen :thinking: :shrug: :D

TBH, I think I'm spending the money I had half reserved for the 5D3 on the mft format. Not sure there is enough to prise me away from the 5D2 in the short term - certainly not at £3k....

7.5 fisheye?
Yup.... I now have 7.5 fisheye, 14mm pancake, 14-42 standard zoom and a GX1. I hadn't even thought of buying a MFT camera before last Wednesday and the camera and other 2 lenses were only delivered at 11:30 this morning... :eek:

Last edited:
Yup.... I now have 7.5 fisheye, 14mm pancake, 14-42 standard zoom and a GX1. I hadn't even thought of buying a MFT camera before last Wednesday and the camera and other 2 lenses were only delivered at 11:30 this morning... :eek:

There speaketh an impulse buyer:D

There speaketh an impulse buyer:D
No, only the 7.5 was an impulse buy ;) The rest followed my 3 day rule:

Day 1: Why would I want...
Day 2: Wouldn't it be useful to have...
Day 3: How could I possibly go through life without - I must order one...

The 7.5mm took 30 minutes (so that was an impulse buy!) :D. TBH, I've always wanted a fisheye, but felt they were too expensive for FF cameras. Given how often I'd use one as I live in the countryside, I couldn't justify it (I think they suit urban much better). Now, I'm off to Tokyo in 2 weeks and spending the weekend there (which was the reason I bought the GX1 in the first place) so..........

No, only the 7.5 was an impulse buy ;) The rest followed my 3 day rule:

Day 1: Why would I want...
Day 2: Wouldn't it be useful to have...
Day 3: How could I possibly go through life without - I must order one...

The 7.5mm took 30 minutes (so that was an impulse buy!) :D. TBH, I've always wanted a fisheye, but felt they were too expensive for FF cameras. Given how often I'd use one as I live in the countryside, I couldn't justify it (I think they suit urban much better). Now, I'm off to Tokyo in 2 weeks and spending the weekend there (which was the reason I bought the GX1 in the first place) so..........

3 days, I usually take a lot longer than that.:)

I have been to Japan twice and there is some amazing modern architecture to aim your lens at, also it is such a clean country you could nearly eat your dinner off some railway station floors!! their cattle class is on par with our first class!!.... enjoy your trip:)

I've been a few times before - in the late 90's, but I wasn't into photography then. I'm working with a Japanese customer, so it's time to go and visit them :)

Took the new gx1 out on my dog walk this evening and took some random shots to try it out. This is one below, without any processing or anything, straight off the memory card. Pleased with the sharpness here (y)

gx1_image1.jpg

Took the new gx1 out on my dog walk this evening and took some random shots to try it out. This is one below, without any processing or anything, straight off the memory card. Pleased with the sharpness here (y)

gx1_image1.jpg

likewise me with the G1

click for a scary shot

The Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye arrived today, I was concerned it would produce a hotspot using the IR converted G1 so I am well pleased with this result, no hotspot at all, just a quick snap a few minutes ago from the back garden, more serious stuff tomorrow:)
6962150639_e13056d3ed_o.jpg
[/url] P1040362 1 Fisheye Infra red by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are a few shots I took with G2 with the Samyang 7.5mm while in Las Vegas a few months ago.

Vegas_street.jpg

View_from_tower.jpg

Eiffel_tower.jpg

My new Nissin M4/3 flash turned up recently after I followed a thread here about flashes. I have to say that I've not understood the reasoning behind them until this turned up and the flash itself is simple enough for even me to understand the concept. The instruction book is refreshingly small.

Taken without flash but with directional natural light on Intelligent Auto
sharon_flash_026_1_.jpg

Taken a few seconds later with the Nissin and manual settings.
sharon_flash_025_1_.jpg

Really pleased with my £71 spend and looking forward to continued use.

(I really need to take that watermark off!)

Galaxy66 said:
The Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye arrived today, I was concerned it would produce a hotspot using the IR converted G1 so I am well pleased with this result, no hotspot at all, just a quick snap a few minutes ago from the back garden, more serious stuff tomorrow:)
[/URL] P1040362 1 Fisheye Infra red by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

My fisheye came today too, no chance to use it though.

Last edited:
There's a link on the MFT rumors site to a French site containing RAW shots at various ISO's from G3, Nex 7, Nikon V1, Canon G1X and Oly EM5. Here it is...

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1381/compact-olympus-om-d-e-m5-bruit-electronique-12.html

I've just downloaded G3 and Nex 7 ISO 3200 and 6400 RAW's. It's difficult for me to decide which I think is "best." When viewed at 100% the G3 files seem to lose detail and become blotchy and the Nex 7 files seem to have much more detail but still have a lot of noise and it's difficult for me to decide which I prefer.

There's a link on the MFT rumors site to a French site containing RAW shots at various ISO's from G3, Nex 7, Nikon V1, Canon G1X and Oly EM5. Here it is...

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1381/compact-olympus-om-d-e-m5-bruit-electronique-12.html

I've just downloaded G3 and Nex 7 ISO 3200 and 6400 RAW's. It's difficult for me to decide which I think is "best." When viewed at 100% the G3 files seem to lose detail and become blotchy and the Nex 7 files seem to have much more detail but still have a lot of noise and it's difficult for me to decide which I prefer.
DPREVIEW has all you'll the raw data ever need to compare those cameras to your hearts content.

Personally, I settled on a GX1 as I don't like the ergonomics of the NEX (size and lack of real buttons). The APS-C sensor in the NEX seems to make about 1 stop of difference, but if I never picked up the camera because I didn't like it, whether it was 1 stop or 1000 stops didn't make an iota of difference.

YMMV.

woof woof said:

G3 or Nex7, I think the price difference could help you decide ;)

Here are a few shots I took with G2 with the Samyang 7.5mm while in Las Vegas a few months ago.

nice shots! really like the eiffel tower one

i've had mine for a couple of months and really need to go somewhere where i can use it like this. :)

Last edited:
G3 or Nex7, I think the price difference could help you decide ;)

Naaaaw. What's money? Ya can't take it with you :D

I've just been looking at my G1 ISO 3200 shots and they're pretty bad unless you can ETTR and back it off post capture and then they're fine but of course I can't photograph the same test subjects as the review sites.

Back