"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

A rare outing for the 45-200 on the G3 today from me.
6844350078_bcf418baca_b.jpg
[/url] P1020204 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hand held

Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 158 mm
ISO Speed 160

I know I've seen the answer on here but I cant track it down . . . Spare resonably priced battery for a G1 that does not have the block?

Thanks in advance, CJS

PS,
Found what looks like the genuine artical at '£19' reduced from £56 on Amazon . . . (is it a too good to be true?) and 7 day-shop are doing them for £9 (via Amazon) . . . any gut feelings, please?

Last edited:
I looked, no deals I could see, unless you consider a fiver off, snatched back with postage, do they think I got out of the banana tree yesterday :banana:

So I went for Amazon and free delivery. I've had confirmation of order and despatch today.

CJS

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll stick to Amazon as well then as I'd rather go with a reputable retailer for the sake of a few quid.

I know I've seen the answer on here but I cant track it down . . . Spare resonably priced battery for a G1 that does not have the block?

Thanks in advance, CJS

PS,
Found what looks like the genuine artical at '£19' reduced from £56 on Amazon . . . (is it a too good to be true?) and 7 day-shop are doing them for £9 (via Amazon) . . . any gut feelings, please?

For those interested, I have found a compatable battery ("compatable with all the lastest firm ware updates" it says) at 7Day-Shop, £8.69 inc., delivery.

CJS

Galaxy66 said:
A rare outing for the 45-200 on the G3 today from me.
[/URL] P1020204 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hand held

Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 158 mm
ISO Speed 160

Nice one!

I was just thinking the other day that I don't think I've ever used mine, Mal! :)

For those interested, I have found a compatable battery ("compatable with all the lastest firm ware updates" it says) at 7Day-Shop, £8.69 inc., delivery.

CJS

Thanks again, you're doing well tonight, saving me lots of hunting around! :D

I updated the firmware on my G1 yesterday as it was well out of date, and as a result the third party batteries I've got with the camera no longer work.
At the moment I have a camera I can't use as I don't have a genuine battery and I didn't read the notes properly before doing the firmware. :bang:

Nice one!

I was just thinking the other day that I don't think I've ever used mine, Mal! :)

Janice, that is only the third time I have had it attached to a body!!

It is a good little lens though. I don't use telephoto much so didn't want to spend a fortune and grabbed the 45-200mm as a more budget option. I got some great shot with it when I was out on Thursday and I'm really quite pleased with the results.

Is anyone using the Panasonic 45-175mm powerzoom out there ?! and if so how does it compare against the 45-200mm please :thinking:

Struggling to find any! Got the gx1 and am enjoying the powerzoom feature of the 14-42 (and the ability to control the zoom from the touch screen (y) so my thinking is the 45-175 should be next to complete the outfit.

Thanks again, you're doing well tonight, saving me lots of hunting around! :D

I updated the firmware on my G1 yesterday as it was well out of date, and as a result the third party batteries I've got with the camera no longer work.
At the moment I have a camera I can't use as I don't have a genuine battery and I didn't read the notes properly before doing the firmware. :bang:

Mine is out of date by 18 months on firm ware and its going to stay that way. Last update I did was when they put the first block on the battery! Like you Mandoo, I did not read it properly. I wont be taken for a ride, I'm happy with the way the camera works. What happens when they 'up-date' again:bang: . . . another new battery?

I'm not good with modern technology, an old stick in the mud, so, as Lennard Cohen sings, 'I'm an old f**t who lives in a suit' . . . ? you'd have to fight to get me into a suit :LOL:

CJS

Last edited:
Ah well its late, time for a mug of Horlick and a few relaxing tracks of old fashoned 12" vinyl music.

CJS

Not looking too bad from what can be seen. Not a fan of the GF models myself though so I'm more interested to see the G5.

michael23 said:
Well if the g5 carries on the design of the g2 and with the senor of the g3 and maybe they will be able to improve the sensor, it will be a great piece of kit. Olympus have showed it is possible to close the gap between m4/3 and aps-s sensors.

Did I blink and miss the GF-4?

I'm not certain, but I think a lot of companies miss out 4 in their product ranges as the number is considered to be unlucky in some Asian cultures. I think Olympus have skipped 4 as well in their Pen range.

Mandoo said:
I'm not certain, but I think a lot of companies miss out 4 in their product ranges as the number is considered to be unlucky in some Asian cultures. I think Olympus have skipped 4 as well in their Pen range.

Ah I see. Well, Apple have just called the latest iPad just 'IPAD' instead of iPad3'. So the next one will probably be just 'I' :)

So, I've had the GF1 + 20mm f/1.7 for about a month and I've been incredibly happy!

Here are a few results from my spare time meandering around in St Andrews:

Harbour
by Nick.Bell, on Flickr

Pier Symmetry by Nick.Bell, on Flickr

Fishermans Day by Nick.Bell, on Flickr

Whey Pat by Nick.Bell, on Flickr

Back end of the Cathedral by Nick.Bell, on Flickr

Couldn't be more happier, especially as I'm thinking about taking only this camera and not an SLR on a trip to Berlin around Easter...
I'm starting to be very convinced.

Couldn't be more happier, especially as I'm thinking about taking only this camera and not an SLR on a trip to Berlin around Easter...
I've bought a GX1 specifically to travel with...

Bretagnez said:
So, I've had the GF1 + 20mm f/1.7 for about a month and I've been incredibly happy!

Great shots there, shows what the old kit is capable of

Thanks, not much really - all edits were done on either Snapseed or Filterstorm Pro on my iPad 2. A few have film style effects from Snapseed, but mostly I just boost the contrast, sharpen, and add a slight vignette.

I've bought a GX1 specifically to travel with...

Exactly. Well that was the main reason I bought the GF1, after seeing all the great results with it on here. I still had a little apprehension but after testing it I'm very confident in it now.

Great shots there, shows what the old kit is capable of

Thank you! Certainly does.

Bretagnez, I went to Berlin before Xmas and just took my GF1 and a couple of lenses, didn't regret it at all. Can't remember if I posted any of these already, apologies if so.

They are fantastic shots! Which lenses did you take? I only have the 20mm but I am very happy with it. Can't wait to go again, will be my second visit! Fantastic city.

Thanks Nick, I used the 20mm 1.7 the vast majority of the time, though I also took the 14-45 and 45-200. I loved the place too and will definitely be going back.

I would be very tempted to get/take the Olympus 45 as well though.

Might as well post a few more while I'm here. :)

Spandau, Berlin by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Berlin Wall by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

East Side Gallery artwork by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Brandenburg Tor by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_0021 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Berlin skyline by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Well I have bought Clarkes GX1 and as I will use it as a travel and pocketable camera I need to change the lens to something more compact, the choice as I see it will be between the 14mm, 20mm and the 14-45mm motorised zoom to replace the existing manual zoom. I am leaning towards the 14mm any comments or recommendations.

Thanks Nick, I used the 20mm 1.7 the vast majority of the time, though I also took the 14-45 and 45-200. I loved the place too and will definitely be going back.

I would be very tempted to get/take the Olympus 45 as well though.

Might as well post a few more while I'm here. :)

You are making me even more excited. I'm glad the 20mm worked out well. I'm looking forward to giving it a good run. Last time I was there I took the 40D and 17-70 + 70-200 + 50 and my hand luggage was ready to burst!
I wish I had the money for the 45mm!

Petehb, it is the only lens I've tested but it works great for me as a walkaround, so I would recommend that also.

Anyone seen this. I had an email today.A good offer for anyone planning on getting a GF3.
On the lumix Lifestyle website.
We’re offering you lucky Lifestyle members a huge one off discount when you purchase a Lumix GF3 Micro System Digital Camera (Body) with the Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Pancake lens, plus Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 3 software.

Normal Eshop Price – £548.99

Exclusive Lumix Lifestyle members price – £249.99

Anyone seen this. I had an email today.A good offer for anyone planning on getting a GF3.
On the lumix Lifestyle website.
We’re offering you lucky Lifestyle members a huge one off discount when you purchase a Lumix GF3 Micro System Digital Camera (Body) with the Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Pancake lens, plus Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 3 software.

Normal Eshop Price – £548.99

Exclusive Lumix Lifestyle members price – £249.99

Just joined up, interesting site(y)

I will decline the offer on the site to update the firmware though, I am not going to be tricked into having to buy expensive batteries;)

Last edited:
Well I have bought Clarkes GX1 and as I will use it as a travel and pocketable camera I need to change the lens to something more compact, the choice as I see it will be between the 14mm, 20mm and the 14-45mm motorised zoom to replace the existing manual zoom. I am leaning towards the 14mm any comments or recommendations.

I have just got the GX1 with the power zoom - this was taken yesterday as a random sample to compare it against a canon lens I have. Sharpness is superb :)

P10004261.jpg

Lilac buds - again handheld with 14-42 power zoom

P10004241.jpg

Last edited:
I can't decide whether to change my Panasonic 14-42 lens for the 14-45.
My 14-42 is a little soft at the long end which isn't a massive issue, but I keep hearing that the 14-45 is better.
I can pick up a good condition used 14-45 with hood for around £130 on ebay which seems like a pretty good price and I'd probably recoup most of that back by selling on the 14-42.

Ooh now where are my membership details? My brother has been on about getting a Lumix G series camera, and that sounds like a great deal.

It is a good deal for a GF3; I have just bought one. Ordered it Tuesday night, it was delivered Thursday morning.

I was originally looking for a 14mm lens for my wife's G3 but couldn't resist the chance to pick up a GF3 body & a copy of Lightroom 3 for £60 more than it would have cost for a new lens.

Brian

Didn't you register your cameras on there when you first got them, Mal?

Never registered the GF1 at the time of buying new, or the s/h G1, just registered the s/h G3 today.

Last edited:
Back