"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Would love the 100-400 but out my price range so which if any is better panny 100-300 or Olympus 75-300 II?

A couple of GX80 questions :D

- Does it have auto ISO in manual mode?
- I think that the max mechanical shutter speed is 1/4000? Does the camera automatically select the electronic shutter to shoot faster than 1/4000?

Also I like how my G7 can be set to switch between mechanical and electronic shutter, can the GX80 do this?

It's interesting that at Wex the GX80 is cheaper than the GX7.

Although I'm very annoyed by the shutter shock issue with my GX7 and G7 I doubt I'll get a GX80 as I'm waiting for exposure compensation to be available with auto ISO in manual mode. It's possible that this feature could be added as a part of a firmware update but I have zero expectation of Panasonic doing one so I'll have to wait for a camera. I also like the GX7's tilting EVF.

OK so i have charged it, and tested.

yes you can have Auto ISO in manual mode.

the GX80 gives you a choice of Mechanical/electronic/auto for shutter, so in manual it will stop at 1/4000 but in Auto it will auto change after that to electronic shutter up to 1/60000

On the GX80 you can preset a FN button to change the shutter type, so if for instance i didn't want to use the post focus mode in M i could change FN2 to shutter type.

The reason for the price is the GX7 is now discontinued so only the stock remaining is available Panasonic have no more.

GX8 mk2 on its way then :D

Electronic shutter dave?
I get bendy blades from the GH3 on a long lens when I forget to switch to normal shutter...
I think that was from 4K video,will have to look through my cards again and see.

OK so i have charged it, and tested.

yes you can have Auto ISO in manual mode.

the GX80 gives you a choice of Mechanical/electronic/auto for shutter, so in manual it will stop at 1/4000 but in Auto it will auto change after that to electronic shutter up to 1/60000

On the GX80 you can preset a FN button to change the shutter type, so if for instance i didn't want to use the post focus mode in M i could change FN2 to shutter type.

The reason for the price is the GX7 is now discontinued so only the stock remaining is available Panasonic have no more.

Thanks, great stuff.

What aspect ratio do you normally use? I think its got altered on my daughters g7 as my pic of a spider I took looks different to what I normally see

spider by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

That looks like the standard m4/3 aspect ratio of 4:3 (hence the name). Full frame and APS-C DSLRs are 3:2.

I actually like the 4:3 aspect ratio (particularly when shooting in portrait orientation) and would use it most often. However, one thing I love about my GX8 is that I can select different aspect ratios when shooting to suit the scene I am trying to capture. This allows for much more accurate framing. With the GX8 (shooting raw, don't know if jpeg is the same), the camera actually captures the full 4:3 frame but embeds the crop data, so when I open the file in LR the selected crop is applied but I can change the aspect ratio back to 4:3 without any destructive cropping if I want to.

Cheers,

Simon.

However, one thing I love about my GX8 is that I can select different aspect ratios when shooting to suit the scene I am trying to capture. This allows for much more accurate framing.
Yes that capability seems interesting. And would be even better if we had a sensor that covered more of the lens image, where many more ratios would be possible in camera without losing pixels.

However, changing the ratio on the fly is yet another thing to adjust at the time of shooting. You can get overloaded in some situations. But for those situations where you've got time to tinker, it's a bonus.

Yes that capability seems interesting. And would be even better if we had a sensor that covered more of the lens image, where many more ratios would be possible in camera without losing pixels.

However, changing the ratio on the fly is yet another thing to adjust at the time of shooting. You can get overloaded in some situations. But for those situations where you've got time to tinker, it's a bonus.

Didn't the GH2 have a slightly bigger sensor for that very reason?

I use the aspect ratio mostly when shooting landscapes for the very reason you give i.e. the time to approach the shot in a slower, more methodical way.

Simon.

I prefer 4:3 for portrait orientation and I wish that my A7 offered the option in camera as although you can just step back and crop post capture it's much better to see and frame in camera.

I don't worry too much about cropping to 3:2 or 16:9 or any other size as I don't often print at sizes that would make throwing away the excess an issue.

I took my GX7 and 14-42mm mega ois combination out today with the camera set to electronic shutter to avoid shutter shock and shooting mostly wide open the lens performed very well indeed. It's a shame that shutter shock is an issue and I may well be tempted to a new camera in the next year or two but not the GX8 or GX80 as I'm waiting for shutter shock free shooting with exposure compensation in manual mode and a better EVF than the one fitted to the GX7/GX80.

Anyway. As I haven't bought any toys for a while and a new camera isn't on my shopping list at the moment I was wondering are the Panasonic equivalents of my Olympus lenses significantly better? Can anyone who's used the Panny equivalents of the following comment?...

Oly 17mm f1.8.
Oly 25mm f1.8.
Oly 45mm f1.8.

I took my GX7 and 14-42mm mega ois combination out today with the camera set to electronic shutter to avoid shutter shock and shooting mostly wide open the lens performed very well indeed. It's a shame that shutter shock is an issue and I may well be tempted to a new camera in the next year or two but not the GX8 or GX80 as I'm waiting for shutter shock free shooting with exposure compensation in manual mode and a better EVF than the one fitted to the GX7/GX80.

Anyway. As I haven't bought any toys for a while and a new camera isn't on my shopping list at the moment I was wondering are the Panasonic equivalents of my Olympus lenses significantly better? Can anyone who's used the Panny equivalents of the following comment?...

Oly 17mm f1.8.
Oly 25mm f1.8.
Oly 45mm f1.8.

I have the Panasonic equivalent (15mm f1.7, 25mm f1.4 and 42.5mm f1.7) of all three. I find them all absolutely superb - pin sharp wide open, lovely colours and great contrast. I can't really give back to back comparisons, as I've only owned the Oly 45mm f1.8 and that was a good few years ago.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks.

I think that any f1.4 variants might be more interesting than f1.7 ones. I'll take a look at the options, have a think and count my money :D

Oly 17mm f1.8.
Oly 25mm f1.8.
Oly 45mm f1.8.
Sample variation is greater (I've read a lot) than any slight advantage or disadvantage each manufacturer's range would give you,
although there are a few more comments ;
Panasonic 15mm and 20mm are usually sharper than Olympus 17mmf1.8,
Olympus 25mm is usually sharper than the new budget Panasonic 25mm.
All the lenses are good : you know it.

I'll watch out for Samyang but I like my lenses to be compact so might count against them. I think that the 75mm f1.8 might be a bit long for me, I used to have a 150mm for my Canon DSLR's and I remember how away I had to be to take a portrait :D Reports say that the 75mm is a good lens though.

Posted elsewhere on here but as its taken on a g7, thought I would share it here too

g7, 50-500 sigma via adapter plus 4x digital zoom, tripod mounted. Could have done with ibis to steady the image for focusing?

View: https://youtu.be/0LTsMAz_dbQ

Sun showing sunspot groups 2567 + 2565 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Also any advice on decent quality adapters, my cheapo one isn't the tightest of fits, it's a bit loose for my liking.

Fantastic capture there Michael. What is the object/objects? Mercury? A moon of?

I've been tied to the house recently so all I could manage was half an hour in the garden. Hand held with my Panasonic G1+old film era 50mm f2.8 macro. 100% crops...

They're via Photobucket and are less sharp here than on my screen.

When I use this old camera I'm often surprised at how good it is :D

Last edited:
I think you just use the latest as normaly these companys include previous updates but i should wait and see some one elses answer.

Do you people think this line in the update refers to the viewfinders tendance to freeze for a split second after 4 or 5 shots in AFC.

The phenomenon that rarely freeze at the time of tracking AF usage is improved.

Thanks Mike, I have been looking but can't see anywhere that says it includes all updates prior to it, the post focus looks useful.

Oh and whilst I think about it, batteries for Panasonic's, how do 3rd party ones do with them?

I dont have one,hardly ever use the rear screen so get several hundred shots from one,i opted for the GX8 so most controls that i would need are on the body.

I used Ex-Pro in my Nikons with no problems.

Hello I have a thread running with the consideration of getting a canon G7x or G5x on doing more research and causing me more confusion I'm now considering the Panasonic G7!! Just basically want a nice camera that that takes nice shots that isn't to big! Any thought on this would be great fully appreciated!! Thanks

Hello I have a thread running with the consideration of getting a canon G7x or G5x on doing more research and causing me more confusion I'm now considering the Panasonic G7!! Just basically want a nice camera that that takes nice shots that isn't to big! Any thought on this would be great fully appreciated!! Thanks

I have a G7. Plus and minus points follow...

I like the image quality.
I like the focus speed and accuracy.
I like the size and weight but every time I pick the camera up I find the grip extremely uncomfortable.
I like the EVF.
I wish you could have full time depth of field preview in all modes but you can't.
I wish you could have exposure compensation in manual exposure mode but you can't.
I hate the shutter shock issue with some lenses. IMHO it makes affected lenses next to unusable in some situations, for example switching to electronic shutter to avoid the issue can cause banding under artificial light effectively making the camera and affected lenses unusable for indoor artificial light shooting at affected shutter speeds.

Personally although I own a G7 I wouldn't recommend one unless the various issues are considered and dismissed as non issues for the user. The shutter shock issue with some lenses in particular is IMO inexcusable.

I have a G7. Plus and minus points follow...

I like the image quality.
I like the focus speed and accuracy.
I like the size and weight but every time I pick the camera up I find the grip extremely uncomfortable.
I like the EVF.
I wish you could have full time depth of field preview in all modes but you can't.
I wish you could have exposure compensation in manual exposure mode but you can't.
I hate the shutter shock issue with some lenses. IMHO it makes affected lenses next to unusable in some situations, for example switching to electronic shutter to avoid the issue can cause banding under artificial light effectively making the camera and affected lenses unusable for indoor artificial light shooting at affected shutter speeds.

Personally although I own a G7 I wouldn't recommend one unless the various issues are considered and dismissed as non issues for the user. The shutter shock issue with some lenses in particular is IMO inexcusable.

So the million dollar question is what would you buy instead of it? In the same price bracket!! Gx7 maybe??

Panasonic GX8 and 14-140 f3.5-5.6 OIS II lens.

From our recent holiday to Croatia (a very beautiful country)

Rovinj - Croatia

Bled Castle - Lake Bled - Slovenia

Lake Bled - Slovenia

Plitvice Lakes - Croatia
[

Panasonic GX8 and 14-140 f3.5-5.6 OIS II lens.

From our recent holiday to Croatia (a very beautiful country)

Rovinj - Croatia

Bled Castle - Lake Bled - Slovenia

Lake Bled - Slovenia

Plitvice Lakes - Croatia
[
Are these straight out of camera? My mum and dad just came back from split! The pictures they managed were abismal!! They said it was beautiful though..

Yes, these are the in camera jpegs, with very minor PP (cropping, contrast adjustments etc.), but I did shoot raw as well but haven't had time to process them get.

Really delighted at this combo for holidays, although there were a few times I'd wished for a slightly more wide angle (wider than 28mm effective), say 24mm, rather than have to swap lenses to my Olympus 9-18 that I also took with me.

Back