Parcelforce - typical

if youve got a van full of parcels that all need deliverying within a specified time, do you really have the time to waste chasing someone that really should be able to hear the doorbell?

Yep, surely the job is to deliver the parcel to the customer, not a scrawled card? And what if they're a bit mutton jeff?

I don't recall the post office warning customers that if they don't answer the door within 30 secs that's it :D

People seem to think that a driver has nothing to do but bring one parcel to them and go home, the reality of it is very different. A lot of the mistakes are made before a driver ever sees the parcel and if a driver does make a mistake you know about it when you get back to the depot!
It really is a case of don't shoot the delivery guy.
cyclone is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Of course there's two sides to every story and I'm sure drivers have their share of awkward customers but there are definitely some drivers who observe the letter of the rules rather than the spirit:(

The Parcelforce blokey that does my round is a total diamond. I'm not that close to the depot and I'm on the early part of his route. I'm rarely around when he passes this way but he knows that I'm mostly here on his way back to base.

I have no idea how he remembers all this stuff as I don't have that many deliveries but he always tries again to save me the hassle of going to collect. Friendly and treats the stuff on his van with respect. Whatever they pay him I seriously doubt it's anywhere near enough to elicit that kind of dedication.

The Parcelforce blokey that does my round is a total diamond. I'm not that close to the depot and I'm on the early part of his route. I'm rarely around when he passes this way but he knows that I'm mostly here on his way back to base.

I have no idea how he remembers all this stuff as I don't have that many deliveries but he always tries again to save me the hassle of going to collect. Friendly and treats the stuff on his van with respect. Whatever they pay him I seriously doubt it's anywhere near enough to elicit that kind of dedication.

It's amazing what you can remember and if you talk to the people you deliver to you can make your days a fair bit easier.

I remember delivering a parcel up the side of a hill near Hay-on-Wye then dropped down to the petrol station in the next village. She asked me if I had anything for her address which was where I'd just been. "I just delivered it". "Oh, the usual guy just brings it here for me" I never went back up that hill :D
You get to know who's always in, who goes home for lunch, who the friendly neighbours are (they'll tell you, "I take stuff for everybody round here"). Knowing somebody works in town will save you a 5 mile drive into the hamlet where they live and that's a good chunk of time in a crappy slow van going up a windy road up the side of a mountain.

Im sat here waiting for my new tripod - Im sure they do it on purpose and know youre at home so they take their time....patience is starting to wear thin :LOL:

So, after having a go at Parcelforce, did they deliver it ? and was it damaged ?

Saw a new idea last week where they are leaving undelivered parcels at the local pub

Suppose "just popping out to get my mail darling" might work for a while,no doubt be buying lots more stuff too.

Only downside is I would probably forget the parcel when I had a few or drop it on the way home

Back