Pat test

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Any of you guys pat test?
I am thinking of doing a course to become competent.
Any pointers?

If I am right, anywhere public or employees can use, are subject to test eg lights on stands that sort of thing, has to be pat tested for insurance purposes.
We have had to go through everything at work with a fine tooth comb and test it cos a guy got shocked by dodgy gear.

hope this helps a bit, though this wasn't a studio.

charged £7.50 per tested Item

Did PAT testing for a couple of years, not much to learn, plug in the equipment to a machine and press a button, fill in a label and put it on the equipment! Boring, long hours and lots of travel. Rob

Its a typical case of safety being over run by a culture of litigation, boring work, zero job satisfaction from it and achieves bugger all

We need to do it at work, and we have three flats we rent.
I thought I may buy a tester, get the C&G qualification, and try and make a few quid on the side

Did PAT testing for a couple of years, not much to learn, plug in the equipment to a machine and press a button, fill in a label and put it on the equipment! Boring, long hours and lots of travel. Rob

Don't forget that visual check!! :LOL:

I have done the course through work, and now I'm responsible for PAT testing the entire backstage Dept... so that's 250 Lamps, umpteen hundreds of mains multi-cores and TRS cable to start with... not to mention the microwaves, TV's, sound equipment etc...

They have tried to get us to do it 6 Monthly... but its not gonna happen!!

Its definitely worth doing the course, however I'm not sure about doing it on the side... Not sure about the insurance side of things... I mean if you PAT test something and pass it, then 5 mins later it shocks someone, I'm not sure where you stand...

I know its a bit like an MOT, that anything could happen to it once you've left the building, but I just don't know enough about the legalities to start up a business on the side...

Don't forget that visual check!! :LOL:

seriously, some pat testers should go to specsavers. the amount of stuff we've had fail on so called visual checks is unbelivable.

Not sure about the insurance side of things... I mean if you PAT test something and pass it, then 5 mins later it shocks someone, I'm not sure where you stand..

thats exactly what we (IT dept) asked and no one would confirm for us. hence we dont do it.

Yeah same with us... also more worringly the amount of stuff that PASSES on a visual and shouldn't!! Whats that, live has suddenly become the green and yellow wire????

Or, i thought one wrap of Electrical Tape was good enough to Insulate the deep gouge on that 16A lead...

I don't believe the utter dejection and feeling of hopelessness you experience while PAT testing, has been properly explored and fully explained in this thread...
Think broken camera gear, a death in the family, a long trip through the deadly swaps of sadness with Atreyu.....and your favourite team being relegated...:(........:wacky:

I don't believe the utter dejection and feeling of hopelessness you experience while PAT testing, has been properly explored and fully explained in this thread...
Think broken camera gear, a death in the family, a long trip through the deadly swaps of sadness with Atreyu.....and your favourite team being relegated...:(........:wacky:

And that's on a good day!(y)

PAT testing is a farce

e.g.

Flash heads and generators

While 240 V will make you jump and may kill you - imagine the full discharge of a generator...

The PAT test only deals with the mains end of things. A dodgey head could leave the whole lighting "live" and a pat test wont look at that

PAT testing is not as lucrative as some think.

There are companies out there sending young guys or OAPs in and charging less than £1.00 an item in some cases.

You canbuy a cheap basic PAT tester for around £100-£200 and do it yourself.

Many places/factors/insurance companies will insist or all appliances being PAT tested before plugged into Fixed Wiring systems.

Out of curiosity, if you have a business, is PAT testing your businesses electrical equipment a legal requirement?

Depends on which way you look at it. The IEE code of practice for In Service inspection and testing of electrical equipment (or PAT Testing as it is commonly referred to) is what it says it is, a code of practice that offers guidance on the requirements of testing. It is not a legal requirement, however as an employer/business owner you have a legal obligation to comply with the Health and Safety at Work act 1974 and the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 be it for the safety of your own employees or that of your customers.

The requirements of both said regulations are that you must maintain your equipment to ensure that it is safe for use and to be frank the cheapest, most cost effective way of doing so is to undertake electrical inspection and testing.

I must also say that there has been a lot of bad advice given in this thread regarding the need or benefits of undertaking electrical inspection works. I would like to think that I am qualified to talk on the subject due to my vast experience in this exact area and I can assure you that PAT Testing is very much so a worthwhile exercise.
You fail to do it and something goes wrong, seriously wrong like somebody being hurt or killed then under the requirements of the corporate manslaughter act then you as an individual can be held responsible and subsequently face prison due to negligence. It really is that serious!

And to say it is not big business is technically not true, I am still involved heavily in this area and our company turnover is in the many many millions per annum.

If anyone genuinely would like some further advice or guidance on this matter then please feel free to contact me (y)

Just a small annoyance... PAT Testing in full means Portable Appliance Testing Testing.

Couldnt agree more mate, been a hate of mine for many many years but it is accepted as the common name so you have to go along with it.

Anyway, I don't think there's masses of money in it, from people I've spoken to... Could be OK as a sideline though?

Believe me, if you get your sums right then the options are endless with testing and it can be a rather profitable business

I did my City & Guilds 2377 about 4 years ago, cost me about £200 the Seaward Europa + Pat tester I bought cost about another £700. I bought it to do all my disco equipment as it was costing me in excess of £200 a year for it all to be done.

Stopped doing the discos about 18 months ago so I haven't used it for about 12 months.

I suppose it will need recalibrating now too! I only used to do mine, my mates and another chaps disco's' each year, and to be honest I felt like hanging myself at the end of it, especially with stuff that was plastic encased but not marked as double insulated so you had to take it apart to try to get an earth bond pass.

Its big brother going over the top again!

Just a small annoyance... PAT Testing in full means Portable Appliance Testing Testing.

Sorry, it annoys me :p

Anyway, I don't think there's masses of money in it, from people I've spoken to... Could be OK as a sideline though?
Are you taking the mic about my stutter stutter mate :LOL: ;)
Now, if I had said " anyone PAT", I would have had all sorts of odd replies.

I'm a pawn broker and pat testing certified. Its a legal requirement for any electrical appliance we sell without an enclosed plug. Piece of **** really, check the fuse, stick it on the tester, put some expensive tape on it and bobs your uncle :p

Back