Paula

DRZ

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
CRW_8008s.jpg

300D - 50mm - F/1.8 - 1/320th - ISO100 (EXIF Embedded for any more info)

Somehow it says I didnt use a flash, but I think it wasnt on the hotshoe properly (I vaguely remember it firing) as I was testing it out for portrait stuff. NM, flash or not is (potentially) irrelevant in this situation.

Thoughts?

Like the pose, lighting and like the focus on the eye but hate the background.

I tried 'colouring in' the background to replace it with a plain colour and it looked better to me. My editing skill are so naff I won't be posting it :)

1/320th is faster than the max sync speed of your camera, which I'd guess is 1/200 or 1/250 with the 300D? In other words... whilst the flash would have fired, it just wasn't synchronising with your shutter so was ineffective.

Nice shot btw and a nice pose. Technically some of the highlights are just blowing out, but it's only just, and you could probably recover them by adjusting the histogram.

It would also be very easy to change the background on this shot to keep Robert happy. The shot is well worth the work too. :)

I really like this, her cheeky smile and excellent eye contact! The background doesn't bother me, I never did conform ;)

I had a quick play with it, this is my offering...

CRW_8008s.jpg

Perfect crop Hacker and I prefer the B&W too. I like the way her arms frame the shot.

Lovely shot Martin. You have a very photogenic and gorgeous lady :)

Lovely shot, although I do prefer Hacker's crop and mono treatment as the background in the original is slightly annoying.

I think the B&W makes a nice pic a great pic!
I found her elbow too distracting in the original but the crop takes care of that while keeping the pose nice & natural looking.
IMO anyway!

I like both. The orignal to me is quite pleasing and the background wasn't too distracting IMO.

That said, I also love the BW crop. As CT says I'd drag those highlights back a little. But other than that I would be really pleased if that were my shot :)

Wow, thanks for the comments guys :) I really, really like that B&W crop!

I guess when it comes to the flash stuff I am still learning (had it less than a month) so I guess I am still learning! I guessed that the high-speed sync button would sort it all out but I was obviously wrong! Will go dig out those pesky manuals again (or just buy a damn 20D)

Well... if you had Hi Speed Sync selected, then the flash should have worked although it's not true Shutter sync as we know it (Jim!) ;)

Quick down and dirty explanation....

Your camera has a focal plane shutter, which is the only sort of shutter an SLR can have. They had to take it out of the lens so that you could see through the lens all the time, so they moved it right to the back of the camera where it sits right in front of the sensor.

It has two metal curtains. When you press the shutter button, the first curtain travels upwards, exposing the sensor for the desired time, then the second curtain follows it up, covering the sensor again. As the shutter resets, the second curtain winds back down dragging the first curtain with it, ready for your next shot.

The downside of a focal plane shutter is that the flash has to fire when the first curtain has gone up and before the second one starts it's travel in order for the whole scene to be illuminated by the flash.

With your 300D the fastest shutter speed at which this can happen is either 1/200 or 1/250..(I'm not sure) To achieve faster shutter speeds than that, what happens is that the first curtain starts it's travel, but before it's completely uncovered the sensor, the second curtain begins it's travel too. The effect is one of a moving slit (the gap betwen the curtains). The faster the shutter speed, the narrower the gap between the two curtains. In other words 1/8000 of a sec is achieved by the sensor being exposed for that duration incrementally.

Obviously, the flash cannot sync with this moving slit, it's duration (the flash) is far too short, so when it fired you would simply have a narrow part of your scene exposed ...representing the gap between the two curtains.

Hi Speed Sync is a modern marvel, and not really sync in the true sense. You can however use it right up to the max shutter speed of your camera. What it does is simply emit a string of continuous pulsed flashes throughout the duration of that slit moving across the sensor, so that the whole scene is exposed by the flash. It's fairly limited to large apertures and close distances to be effective, as obviously, smaller apertures and greater distances, make a demand on the flashgun it will struggle to keep up with.

You shouldn't really have needed it for your Paula shot as your normal flash sync speed or even one lower would have been fine. :)

B&W edit = Winner

Ct's flash explanation = complicated but well explained. Thanks!

Drz,

I like this shot very much, especially Hacker's B&W crop...

Regards,

Pete

Back