PC Experts Needed

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I will attempt to make this sound simple.

I started to transfer some photos yesterday from a DVD which had been produced on a Mac. This may not be connected?

After I transferred them everything seemed ok, I came out the folder and went back in and the folders started to show empty and were not named anymore but were all symbols etc.

I imm. shut down and started the system back up, I then noticed more folders throughout the hard drive where corrupt. They then dissapeared and turned into those white and blue icons that do not have program associated with it

This hard drive is external and nothing was wrong with any files on my C:

What do you think has caused this and what can I do to recover the files

Thank You

I'm afraid I have no experience of Macs, and I have no idea what the problem is, but for starters you might want to run a system restore/recovery and try to get your PC back to how it was before you copied the files across. You might also want to run an in-depth AV scan on your PC and the external drive.

Have you tried 'check for errors' on your external drive?

You do have backups don't you....

I'm not sure about just how a Mac works, but i came across a problem similar to this some years ago, when a large company nearly went bust, every night they backed up their days accounts by dragging and dropping them onto backup disks, only to find, that come the day they needed them, all they had got were backups of the shortcuts

If you still have the oridinal files then try backing up again

If you haven't got copys of them, then don't do anything serious to your computer, make sure that "defrag" is turned off (It should really only be "On Demand" anyway), the probabillity is that copys of them are still on your C:\ drive, then see if you can get some Data Recovery software, ideally a Stand Alone version, as these do not have to be installed, and therefore do not overwrite any files allready on the drive

If you still have a problem, your quite welcome to drop me an E-mail for advice on types of suitable programs
wgotobed@hotmail.com

the standard drag and drop on PC is for copy, its only when holding ctrl+shift that it creates a shortcut.

It should really only be "On Demand" anyway

NTFS is a self defraging file system anyway so defrag is really pretty useless (unless youre hammering the arse off your hard drive writing small bursts of files, then it may be worth a monthly).

As a caution I would run your anti-virus software first, although as your drive C is not affected do not expect you to find anything. It is worth checking the DVD also as a pre-caution.

This does look more like a HD failure problem & as suggested run chkdsk
chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter of the effected drive) (press return)

Have you tried running the HD on another computer (only after running AV) to see if the problem is the same?

If the AV & Chkdsk fail to report anything then try to obtain a diskcopy & check that if that works then re-format the disk & see if it reports errors.

Its seems after all the advice etc. I have bad sectors which, I can see the files so trying to recover them at the moment.

Its seems after all the advice etc. I have bad sectors which, I can see the files so trying to recover them at the moment.

try running HDD Regen - it's not free but has saved my butt a number of times. It actually heals the bad sectors.

depends how the bad sectors were created though, yeah fair enough if theyre minor magnetic issues. but if the head of the disk has been dropped onto the platter and physically marked it then chances are theyre not fixable.

Been running lots of programs and have recovered a fair bit.

I also have found 80gig of .CHK files which I am renaming! to .JPG and its seems to bring them back

Back