Peak District Red Deer

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a quick run out last night to see how the heard of deer are going on pre-rut in the Peaks last night, only 1 week ago they were still running as one large herd (around 40 deer), but they have now started to break off into smaller groups and the bellowing has started, here are a couple of my favourites from last night

Evening Rut
by RichPICings, on Flickr

Grunting Stag

The second one was not quite as sharp as i would have hoped (300mm f4 with 1.4x Teleconvertor mounted onto a Monopod), i think i need to work on my technique a little bit more as i am still quite new to this genre or photography, any tips on how to take a steadier shot appreciated ;)

Last edited:
First shot for me, cracking shot.(y)

The first one is great. For sharper images up could up the shutter speed from 1/750 and close the aperture down slight too rather than wide open f5.6 with the TC, you still had room with the ISO. AF could be an issue too as it looks like there is little contrast in the deer in the low light.

The first one is top notch.

The first one is great. For sharper images up could up the shutter speed from 1/750 and close the aperture down slight too rather than wide open f5.6 with the TC, you still had room with the ISO. AF could be an issue too as it looks like there is little contrast in the deer in the low light.

Nice one, cheers Rob, i'll certainly give those tips a try next time i'm up there

Nice one, cheers Rob, i'll certainly give those tips a try next time i'm up there

I used a 300 f4 for a few years and it's a great lens, it works really well with the 1.4 TC. Looking at the image again the swaying long grass in front of the stag would probably make things more difficult the AF too. It's great to see some wild red deer rut images with so many taken at deer parks, one day I would live to photograph some in the wild. You will have to post your images from your next visit too.

I used a 300 f4 for a few years and it's a great lens, it works really well with the 1.4 TC. Looking at the image again the swaying long grass in front of the stag would probably make things more difficult the AF too. It's great to see some wild red deer rut images with so many taken at deer parks, one day I would live to photograph some in the wild. You will have to post your images from your next visit too.

Your wish is my command, this was from Friday evening

Proud Stag

They are starting to get bold now

Tensions Rising

But the young guy was quickly seen off

The Chase

Back