Pedal Power Thread

Jersey for race arrived few days ago.

Neil, sadly have to admit that RM most likely lost spacer you sent me...
Am busy today, but will go shopping tomorrow.

making the tea :p

seriously though, a replacement for trying to use the iphone for OS navigation and strava/monitoring while being waterproof and shockproof so it could be mounted to the handlebars.

so you can still sync the rides with strava

so you can still sync the rides with strava

yup, attach USB lead (i think the newer 810 has Bluetooth to do this wherever) to computer. go to strava site, press upload and select device/activity (need to install the garmin plugin if not already present).

got the cadence sensor and heart rate monitor bundle which should upload too. will be interesting..

Last edited:
I use the 800 with the HRM and cadence meter.

Makes for some interesting graphs in strava!

Well since my creaking/cracking sound I have to give credit to halfords who are doing a rear hub/wheel rebuild with new bearings and also a new bottom bracket under warranty.
Kudos to them as I expected to have to put a fight up

I use the Edge 500 with cadence sensor. I used the HRM for about 6 months just to get to know my body and its limits.

I am confident of my threshold levels now so don't wear the HRM. I know that when my heart is whacking the back of my teeth I am at the limit!!

My main tool is the cadence sensor. I have learnt to recognise visually how difficult a climb will be. I know what cadence I like to climb at, so will adjust my gearing through the climb to remain at my optimum cadence.

If you are looking to improve your endurance then interval training is your weapon. Short, sharp, maximum effort intervals.

Example. 30 minute warm up cycle. 35 min workout (30 second efforts with 3 minute recovery x 10). 30 minute warm down. 1 1/2 hour session.

Do this once a week if you do a long club ride, twice a week if not.

Bike fit tomorrow,so will be interested to see if it improves my 20k bike time on my weekly triathlon

Do you do a triathlon every week? Do you always do sprint?

Be interested to see how it goes, thinking of getting one done myself.

where and how much ££
and let us know how it went

Paul,

How did you find the bike fit? I had a retul one done a few weeks ago, and the difference is amazing.

I had a quick bike fit done as part of the cycle week and the guy dropped my saddle on my work bike due to excess movement in my hips (said a way to tell is if when cycling you are moving about a bit on the road, this clicked as my nice bike is like that, especially when on the tri bars). Got home and dropped saddle a couple of cms.

Anyway, booked in for a Retul fit (Velosport-Putney) and spent 2.5 hours in there. First thing that was changed was shims under my cleats, as my knees weren't staying central. That fixed my saddle started to rise (remember that i had dropped it a few weeks ago), and after each raise the computer checked to see angles of knee bend, ankle movement etc.

I have come out with a bike that has a saddle higher than it was previously, and due to the shims being fitted, my hips don't drop anymore (knee dropping and not staying central was causing hip drop not saddle being too high).

Anyway, on my first 4 laps round Richmond park, i was able to stay in the aero tuck alot longer, my front wheel isn't jumping about like it used to, and i am comfortable when in the aero position (before my shoulders ached after 20 mins).

Time wise, my 4 laps dropped by over 3 minutes (partly due to less traffic), but when it came to things like the hills, i found i was able to stay in a higher gear and i noticed that my speed has been 1-3 mph faster going up the slight hills.

Would i recommend one....too damn right i would, you have a decent bike, but you may not be in the correct position to get the most out of it. Yes the one i had is quite expensive, but if you look at how often and for how long you sometimes ride your bike, over time it will pay for itself. This is something i would ask for as an xmas present if you don't want to get it yourself.

If you would like any info then feel free to ask.

Do you do a triathlon every week? Do you always do sprint?

Be interested to see how it goes, thinking of getting one done myself.

My bike fit was done by south downs bikes in storrington near Worthing

I also changed from mtb cleats to road pedals and road shoes, and put clip on tt bars on the bike.
The bike is set up as a road bike, but with a slight bias towards a tt position

my usual average time for the 20km route on our wed triathlon in 38-40mins with my pb 37 mins. first time out on the bike tonight and new pb of 36 mins, so i'm happy with that :)

My bike fit was done by south downs bikes in storrington near Worthing

I also changed from mtb cleats to road pedals and road shoes, and put clip on tt bars on the bike.
The bike is set up as a road bike, but with a slight bias towards a tt position

my usual average time for the 20km route on our wed triathlon in 38-40mins with my pb 37 mins. first time out on the bike tonight and new pb of 36 mins, so i'm happy with that :)

I am the same Paul, road bike fit but more towards TT as much as possible.

Well after a bit(well a few months)of looking and changing my mind on what I want I've finally taken the plunge and bought a proper road bike;it's far too good for my current ability but I'm hoping to do a bit of justice to it(that might be a bit of wishful thinking) but it seemed too much of a bargain to miss,it's one of these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ridley-phaeton-7d5-road-bike/rp-prod104912

Don't have it yet but I'll put some pics up when I get it.

One of the first things will be getting used to clipless pedals,should be amusing:whistle:.

Oh and the other half is finding it amusing at the thought of me in lycra;the mamil comments have started already:LOL:

Last edited:
Well after a bit(well a few months)of looking and changing my mind on what I want I've finally taken the plunge and bought a proper road bike;it's far too good for my current ability but I'm hoping to do a bit of justice to it(that might be a bit of wishful thinking) but it seemed too much of a bargain to miss,it's one of these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ridley-phaeton-7d5-road-bike/rp-prod104912

Don't have it yet but I'll put some pics up when I get it.

One of the first things will be getting used to clipless pedals,should be amusing:whistle:.

Oh and the other half is finding it amusing at the thought of me in lycra;the mamil comments have started already:LOL:

Good deal on the shiny steed there :)
Pedals are a personal choice, I use speedplay as find it easier to clip in and out (tried others but didn't like them).

Once you have ridden in clothing designed for riding you won't go back, may not feel comfortable when stood up but get on the saddle and a different thing all together.

I will suggest you twist the other halfs arm to get you a bike fit done properly as an early xmas present (not just a shop yeah that's your size), it will make your riding more enjoyable.

Good deal on the shiny steed there :)
Pedals are a personal choice, I use speedplay as find it easier to clip in and out (tried others but didn't like them).

Once you have ridden in clothing designed for riding you won't go back, may not feel comfortable when stood up but get on the saddle and a different thing all together.

I will suggest you twist the other halfs arm to get you a bike fit done properly as an early xmas present (not just a shop yeah that's your size), it will make your riding more enjoyable.

Cheers;The size hopefully will be right as am going by what a couple of bike shops had told me;but CR should be ok with a return.
My LBS does bike fitting so will have it done after I see how I get on after a few rides.
Got some clothing over the week-end,it's only Mountain warehouse stuff but it was dirt cheap and will be ok while I'm starting;I'm shure if the bug kicks in I'll be getting better stuff.Also got some Shimano 105 pedals and will order some shoes,although I may get them from a shop for the right fit.

Cheers;The size hopefully will be right as am going by what a couple of bike shops had told me;but CR should be ok with a return.
My LBS does bike fitting so will have it done after I see how I get on after a few rides.
Got some clothing over the week-end,it's only Mountain warehouse stuff but it was dirt cheap and will be ok while I'm starting;I'm shure if the bug kicks in I'll be getting better stuff.Also got some Shimano 105 pedals and will order some shoes,although I may get them from a shop for the right fit.

You will be surprised what a bike fit will do, I had a physio tell me I needed to drop my saddle due to my hips dropping, felt funny at first but was ok. On bike fit saddle has ended up higher than it was initially as hip drop was caused by knee movement, shim under cleat to solve knee issue and now using more of leg muscles.
I didn't expect the amount if change they did but bike is so much more stable (is weird) as have clip on tri bars, pre fit when in aero position I was all over road it was worrying, now happy with it.

I would get it done initially then you know its right.

You will be surprised what a bike fit will do, I had a physio tell me I needed to drop my saddle due to my hips dropping, felt funny at first but was ok. On bike fit saddle has ended up higher than it was initially as hip drop was caused by knee movement, shim under cleat to solve knee issue and now using more of leg muscles.
I didn't expect the amount if change they did but bike is so much more stable (is weird) as have clip on tri bars, pre fit when in aero position I was all over road it was worrying, now happy with it.

I would get it done initially then you know its right.

Ok,will have a word at the LBS when I can get in there;incidentally I've seen that although it's classed as a road bike it seems to be aimed at Triathlon beginners,presume it won't be that extreme a position on the bike?

Ok,will have a word at the LBS when I can get in there;incidentally I've seen that although it's classed as a road bike it seems to be aimed at Triathlon beginners,presume it won't be that extreme a position on the bike?

Looking at the picture, i don't think you will have any issues with it. Think they say that as there is a growing market for those who want road bikes but to fit clip on aero bars (which is what i have done).
There is only so far you can adjust before you have to give up (seat angle is the issue).

Looking at the picture, i don't think you will have any issues with it. Think they say that as there is a growing market for those who want road bikes but to fit clip on aero bars (which is what i have done).
There is only so far you can adjust before you have to give up (seat angle is the issue).

Aah,should be ok then.Just got to hope that Parcelfarce don't mess up with the delivery now:whistle:

par for the course of owning a bike in afraid.. its a never ending quest for new shiny precious..

:love:

Haven't even got mine yet and I'm looking around for stuff(looking at workstands and track pumps),even stopped me looking at the Nikon classifieds on here:D.

Haven't even got mine yet and I'm looking around for stuff(looking at workstands and track pumps),even stopped me looking at the Nikon classifieds on here:D.

Tell me about it.. I've spent more in the last month on bikes and bits than I've spent on photography in the rest of the year.

Scary how it all adds up, pumps, inner tubes, helmet, turbo trainer, work stand, GPS, pedals, bottles and cages, saddle bag, tools...

Lidl have a cycle stuff coming up on Thursday, including a track pump and possibly a work stand, but that might have been aldi, can't remember . I got my work stand on eBay for £20 which I was pleased with.

My next bike purchase is a shed :LOL:

you've already got one in your trek :p

I've recently bought new wheels but going to cancel them. also bought a carbon fibre seat post, 203 mm ice tech rotor, tyres for new wheels but will be sending them back too.

My bike is still in Halfords.
Apparently they are struggling to get hold of an FSA power drive bottom bracket :(

Finally got some spare time and managed to get myself set of spacers.

Will fiddle around with them tomorrow once I get rid of guests ;)

Bikes here safely:banana:(other half said the parcelfarce driver moaned like f***k about the big box:D)

Just been on a little pootle and already moved the seat-post up three times:LOL: and that was after moving it down thinking it was too high out of the box:whistle::bonk:;also moved the seat a bit but I'll pop in the LBS and see what the damage is for the bike-fit and se what shoes they have.
One thing I can say is it seems to go like buggery but I suppose compared to the old Trek with it's sussy forks it would do;climbed nicely up the only real hill in Ely on the big ring so I reckon it'll do me nicely:love:.

Just one question the brakes are some own brand type not 105 like the rest of the kit and I was wondering if the 80's 105 calipers would work and be an improvement:thinking:probably not I suppose(oh and they are silver so don't match:puke:).

Depending on what kind of fit the shop does. How much do you want to spend?
I would search locally for a shop that does the Retul fit. You get a few options, the basic one is a 2d fit which is the same kind of thing most places do, their next level up is the 3d fit, takes about 2.5 hours (costs a bit more, but fit is done with computer help and it gives the fitter more scope to get your fit correct. This is what I did).

so...spacer fitted and rattle is gone ;D

as someone asked earlier, it is possible that it was like this since I got the bike, but never thought about it ;)

will see how it rides tomorrow;)

not long left until long ride for good cause ;)
so far, managed to get £457.73 :)

time to decide what pump to buy...
someone mentioned lezano and it looks nice but price puts me off ...

ordered new wheel - hope pro2 evo on stans crest rim not going to run it tubless though at the moment

I've got the original Joe Blow Sport, and can't fault it, 120psi without issue and has the benefit of working with either Presta or Schrader valves.

I've got the Lyzene Road Alloy (early version) pump for when out on the bike. Yes it's more expensive than a lot of other pumps, but it's never let me down in the times I've used it - and yes I was seduced by it's looks :D

Finally got my bike back.
Rebuilt rear hub with new bearings and a new bottom bracket means I glide along again.
Can actually tell there is less resistance now.

Back