Pedal Power Thread

Sounds good!
Yeah i almost made a dogs dinner of the new chain but got there in the end.
Bargain it was too - KMC 9 speed for £6.79

Are bike discount.de any good?
I used ridewill.it recently for my Schwalbe big bens - fraction of the price inc delivery compared to here.

bought several things from bike-discount, got no complaints. have had to warranty my pikes through them as well without any issue

The whole tubeless cycle tyre thing fascinates me, the wheels which come on the Domane are Bontrager race which are listed as being tubeless ready. Surely the addition of the rim sealing strip and the tubeless specific tyre (which appears to be thicker / heavier than standard) and the tyre slime are about the same weight as a tube anyway.

So aside from the obvious benefits of not having to stop to fix a flat there isn't much of a performance / weight advantage.

not so much lighter but you don't get pinch flats like you do with tubes.

My knee is a lot better now so I'm finally starting to work on my Dr Jekyll again. Upgrading loads of parts so it will be like a new bike. Got a nice set of Pikes incoming in the post as we speak and a new wheel set too.

Well I'm happy to say my road weapon arrived with me this week......now just need some time free to get out on it and start clocking up the miles and more importantly......losing the Lb's :D

16883925435_674fef6e0a_c.jpg

16882738502_93b5d35d61_c.jpg

Guys

I hope you don't mind but Ive joined up, hopefully going to get out for the first time since my 1/2 knee operation.

Phil
The more the merrier, unfortunately my biking has taken a back seat recently but hoping to get back into it shortly!!

I've joined, although I've not started recording on starva yet as my duo trap sensor hasn't arrived yet

Just shove your smart phone with app in your pocket and Strava detects it once switched on.

Yeah I know it'll do gps and a gps based speed reading, I want the cadence read out too. I'm going to add a garmin 510 to the bike as soon as funds allow.

In a moment of madness though I made my first trip out on the bike, nothing drastic just a 2mile trip to shake it down :)

Christ I'm unfit !!!!

Finally getting there:D MY Dr Jekyll after I painted it last week. Just waiting on some new parts, all drivetrain stuff, like crank set, BB, Cassette, etc etc. Also a new headset to lose the red bling up front. At least for now I can get back out there and get riding. Feels great with the travel at around 120mm.

20150417_140742[1] by Peanut651, on Flickr

Have created a "virtual club" on Strava if anyone is interested - hopefully can then all motivate each other!
Also if anyone is local to each other and fancy joining up for a ride.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/123931

I've been away from this site for a while as the last year or so cycling took over. London to Paris etc. By a stroke of luck I've stumbled across your post @SaintSLR and joined the group. Hope you don't mind.

More the merrier Paul........ Although your confession of leaving the site should still get you penalty points, as there's an awful lot of beautiful scenery between London and Paris that needed photographing. :D

Believe me we didn't get a lot of time to stop and take photos. 3 days riding and round about 110 miles a day. And it rained most of it!,

Not acceptable! I've been to the beautiful city of Paris and happen to know of a rather large pointy thing which is is rather photogenic :D

kudos on the L2P though (y)

I've been away from this site for a while as the last year or so cycling took over. London to Paris etc. By a stroke of luck I've stumbled across your post @SaintSLR and joined the group. Hope you don't mind.
Definitely the more the merrier. Well done on the London to Paris. Great work.

friend crashed at llandegla 2 weeks ago, compound fracture of tib and fib, split his tib length ways just to make matters worse, broken left wrist and elbow broken collar bone and shoulder on the right side, they cant see part of his shoulder despite a MR scan so will have to take him back to theater for operation number 4 to remove some of his hip and graft that in to replace lost part...he is a self employed tiler and will be out for about a year they reacon....bad times, gutted for him

friend crashed at llandegla 2 weeks ago, compound fracture of tib and fib, split his tib length ways just to make matters worse, broken left wrist and elbow broken collar bone and shoulder on the right side, they cant see part of his shoulder despite a MR scan so will have to take him back to theater for operation number 4 to remove some of his hip and graft that in to replace lost part...he is a self employed tiler and will be out for about a year they reacon....bad times, gutted for him
thats nasty, i crashed at llandegla too, only damage was a scratch to my pikes and a loss of pride

Well at the end of this month I wave goodbye to my Boardman MTB.
It has been 12 months of joy, pain, misery and anger.........the last three courtesy of Halfords.

I have now decided to leave MTBs behind for a while and move over to road bikes.

Got my eye on a Cube Peleton and a Lapierre Audacio

Got my eye on a Cube Peleton and a Lapierre Audacio

cycling plus may edition reviewed the Audacio 400 and pretty much panned it - "Harsh Clattery Ride Quality is wearing and makes for nervous handling at times"

Cube Peloton gets better reviews though...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/cube-peloton-race

personally at under a grand, I'd be pretty tempted by the Cannondale Synapse 105 5 Disc... or for something a bit more heads-down arse-up racy, the Caad8 105 5

built up a commuter hack from spare parts in the garage. bought a couple of things; new fork seals, deore crank, longer brake hose. everything else was scrounged from my spares bin and my bro in law (saddle & NW ring)

Carrera vulcan 25.7lb as it stands

manitou minute elite 2009 fork
avid elixir 3 brakes 203mm hope front:160 HS1 rear
8sp rear cassette, SX4 mech, x4 shifter
easton haven stem - kinesis R750 bar with SRAM lock on grips
Deore M615 crank + raceface NW 32t ring
front wheel Hope XC hub laced to mavic 517 rim with ACI DB spokes
rear wheel - standard heavy POS wheel
WTB vulpine tyres set up ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape
charge scoop Ti saddle
standard seat post ( soon to be cheap chinese carbon)

p4pb12257327.jpg

Well it looks like the Cube Peleton will be my next bike. Had a test ride and it fits and rides nicely!

Just got to get my new C2W setup so I can order and
collect the new bike.

Also, to all the Scottish riders out there, how many of you have climbed the Dukes Pass from the south side at Aberfoyle?

Also, to all the Scottish riders out there, how many of you have climbed the Dukes Pass from the south side at Aberfoyle?

Done it a few times on the hard tail up through the forest, hook it up to swing round Loch Katrine and back down Loch Ard road to Aberfoyle.

Here is the forest path back down to Aberfoyle but suspect you''ll be on the road bike.....

Done it a few times on the hard tail up through the forest, hook it up to swing round Loch Katrine and back down Loch Ard road to Aberfoyle.

Here is the forest path back down to Aberfoyle but suspect you''ll be on the road bike.....

Yeah I'm going to be on the road hitting the pass from Aberfoyle.

On a side note I had a test ride of a Cube Peleton at the weekend. What a beast compared to hard tail MTBs (especially Boardmans)

Decided the Peleton will be my choice road bike.

Back