Pedal Power Thread

where do I report bus drivers for dangerous driving ?

just watch for chain slip. chains and cassettes often wear together and replacing one without the other can cause problems, depending on the level of wear.

Thanks, i'll bear that in mind on the way to work in the morning. I used a chain I bought from halfords so I doubt it will last to long anyway (purchased before doing some research). The casette and chainset are worn so i'm gonna have to replace the lot. The bike came with Tiagra and its lasted quite well seeing as its used for my daily commute, about 7 months of at least 50 miles a week. I'm hoping this will last a couple of months and then i'll change the lot together.

Neil, I reported one a few years back. Emailed the area bus company. If it was bad I would call the police as well.

fishnet outfit and nobody from the marginal gains people thought about applying some sunscreen - I think they should just have been dipped from head to toe in that Reiman P20 factor 50+ ...

Loved the outlines of the HRM strap and radio pack in white :LOL:

Owey, owey, owey! That looks very painful. I won't be buying one of those then!

Am quite enjoying the fact that when I get to work in the mornings at the moment I have dew in my beard!

Interesting note from Lee above about his 7 months x 50 miles a week chain/groupset wear.

I'm 8 months x 50 miles a week on my boardman so I'm guessing mine will need replaced shortly......or do I try and hold on until may when my cycle to work scheme finishes and get a new bike? :D

In all honesty though the boardman needs new discs and pads and I do like my boardman frame. Think I might just hang on to it and upgrade components as they fail.
Out of interest what is the average price for a half decent chain/groupset replacement?

Already spied new discs - Alligator windcutters in 180mm front/160mm rear in Apple green flavour to match the bike :cool:

Interesting note from Lee above about his 7 months x 50 miles a week chain/groupset wear.

I'm 8 months x 50 miles a week on my boardman so I'm guessing mine will need replaced shortly......or do I try and hold on until may when my cycle to work scheme finishes and get a new bike? :D

In all honesty though the boardman needs new discs and pads and I do like my boardman frame. Think I might just hang on to it and upgrade components as they fail.
Out of interest what is the average price for a half decent chain/groupset replacement?

Already spied new discs - Alligator windcutters in 180mm front/160mm rear in Apple green flavour to match the bike :cool:

best way to know about chain wear is to get a chain checker... wears dependent on all sorts of things - how crepe a chain it is, how heavy you are, how poorly maintained it has been, your pedalling style... in short, get a chain checker and use it once a week. then replace before it's too badly worn (0.75 on the one I linked.)

Sometimes when replacing your chain you have to change the front chain rings as well, but more than likely most of the time it's the rear cassette that causes problems if you only replace the chain. The front chainrings are normally ok and don't wear down as much as the cassette due to the amount of teeth engaging the chain. The force of you pedalling is spread out to more of an area, if that makes sense lol. They still wear down though and need kept an eye on.

The chain and single speed ring need replacing on my trials bike, as well as a wheel rebuild front and rear. My hard tail need new cassette, freehub body and chain. For once my full sus bike is running fine but still a bunch of expensive repairs once you add it all up. I do all the work on my bikes myself, even wheel builds but the price of decent parts is just crazy.

The reviews said they were pretty decent though. Just don't use organic compound pads as they eat them up.
Any other recommendations for rotors then?

The reviews said they were pretty decent though. Just don't use organic compound pads as they eat them up.
Any other recommendations for rotors then?

What braking systems do you use? I've always used HOPE brakes and find their rotors brilliant. Have a look on here and they have reviews. Find ones you like and search on Ebay and Amazon, might find them cheaper.

Went out for a quick couple of mile get back into shape run, breezing along nicely then turned round into the wind and i had to get off and walk, couldnt make any headway at all

had hope with hope rotors and with ICE-tech rotors too. preferred ice-tech. got shimano SLX now and they are better than the hopes

Quick question about brakes - I have Avid Juicy 3 hydraulics on my Scott mtb.

The master cylinder in the levers are both leaking. I bought the bleed kit and the replacement seals but they still doing it.

Any suggestions - can I buy new levers (avid or any make?) to use with the rest of the brake parts or should I replace the levers and calipers as a sealed set?

Could I or should I change to cable operated or are the hydraulics recommended?

Thanks

Alright guys n girls.

Should I grease my new pedal threads? I've got (automotive) silicone, rubber, copper, bearing and lithium greases to choose from if so?

Back