Penmon Point Lighthouse - Very Early Morning shots

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Following my evening shots thread I promised to post a few shots from the same location but taken at sunrise. I started shooting about 5am and continued for about 1 1/2 hours. It was just magical being down there. Just me, the sunrise and some porpoises playing out in the straits between the lighthouse and Puffin Island.

Penmon Sunrise 1 by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Penmon Sunrise 2 by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Penmon Morning 1 by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Penmon Morning 2 by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Hi Peter, that first one looks as if the lighthouse is leaning to the left? My pick would be #3-love the foreground detail and colours.

No 3 for me too, like the detail and colours in it. The first 2 are a hit dark for me.

Phil.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

@ Rob - Yeah there is a lean but struggled with keeping the horizon straight at the same time.

@ Rory - You've got some nice images there. I'd wouldn't mind a T&S lens but their not cheap. How have you found it?

Been to Penmon for sunrise photos on Christmas morning a number of years ago, absolutely stunning (with the added benefit of not having to get up so early - winter). But it does mean that the sun rises over the mainland rather than out at sea (or rather behind puffin island in this case).
The lean is caused by the lens (had the same problem myself), which I assume is either a 17-40 or a 10-22 (crop sensor).

@ Rory - You've got some nice images there. I'd wouldn't mind a T&S lens but their not cheap. How have you found it?

Takes a bit of getting used to. I have had it a while however I will be using it in anger soon as I have a refurbished hotel to photograph inside and out. In addition I have just ordered a sigma 12-24....that should be fun :)

Hi Dave, Steve & Andreas,

Thanks for the comments.

I agree with you Steve. I also prefer the evening ones although being there at 5am with such a fantastic sunrise for me is the enduring memory for the few visits I did there that week.

Good luck with the hotel shoot Rory. I also hope you enjoy the 12-24 as much as I've enjoyed the 10-20.

Back