Penshaw Moon

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Never tried to shoot the Moon before, but grabbed this shot whilst up by Penshaw Monument the other day.

Moon
by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Relatively please for a first go, particularly as it was handheld :)

Hi Tony, well done! Having recently achieved my first moon shot, I share your joy! My advice would be to lower your iso so you achieve a shutter speed to match your focal length so you'd be aiming for 1/250. That should help with the noise present in the background.

Keep at it mate, it gets addictive!

Cheers David - sounds like good advice. At the risk of addiction, I think I will give this a proper go on a tripod with some thought out settings, like those you have suggested. Many thanks for taking the time to post a reply :)

A very good shot. Plenty of detail and nicely exposed :0)

If you decide to use a tripod on your next attempt remember to turn off any stabilisation first. I've tried several shots of the moon and always forget to turn the IS off for mounted shots!

Happy shooting.

Thanks Phil, both for the positive feedback and the tripod advice. I'll be sure to heed it when I have another go (y)

I found the tripod was a ball ache, if you have a good vibration reduction system and you're metering on the moon with 1/250-300 a second then hand holding is way better for me. Also, try under exposing a little so it brings out even more detail.

Very nice hand held moonie... good detail/sharpness in there for handheld. (y)
Cheers tjc, it was a quick snap to be totally honest, so I am pretty happy with the result :)

I found the tripod was a ball ache, if you have a good vibration reduction system and you're metering on the moon with 1/250-300 a second then hand holding is way better for me. Also, try under exposing a little so it brings out even more detail.
Thanks for the extra tips David - just waiting on a clear, cloud-free night now :rolleyes:

Back