Perseids & Milky Way Photos

buckas

Mister Forum Regular
Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
Three years to the day since I shot my Elegug Stacks Milky Way image that then went on to go crazy across the newspapers and media. So what better than a re-visit to the area and also try to get some Perseid & Milky Way photos! Forecast was cloudy, but around half 11 it was super clear. Grab the gear and headed down the coast, one good thing about August is access to the MOD range is open everyday so thankfully I could get to where I wanted to be. I love it here for night sky shots, especially the Milky Way. Only light pollution looking south is that of the north Cornwall/Dorset coast and low terrain cover means big skies. Superb. Was here til about half 1am, and must of counted at least 70 meteors, best one in a long time I can remember and for once it was clear with no moon (best conditions!) Anyways, enough waffle on with the photos.

The-eastern-night-sky-over-the-Green-Bridge-in-Pembrokeshire-pictured-the-Andromeda-Galaxy-August-13th-2013.jpg

The eastern night sky over the Green Bridge in Pembrokeshire, pictured the Andromeda Galaxy

Photographer-Drew-Buckley-shines-a-torch-into-sky-with-the-Milky-Way-filling-the-sky-and-a-Perseid-Meteor-passing-Elegug-Stacks-Pembrokeshire.jpg

Huge-Perseid-Fireball-over-Stack-Rocks-in-Pembrokeshire-August-13th-2013.jpg

Photographer-Drew-Buckley-shines-a-torch-into-as-the-Milky-Way-fills-the-southern-skies-over-the-Pembrokeshire-Coast-August-13th-2013.jpg

Milky-Way-streaks-across-the-southern-Pembrokeshire-sky-as-Elegug-Stacks-are-illuminated-by-a-hand-torch-August-13th-2013.jpg

Milky-Way-and-a-Perseid-meteor-at-the-Green-Bridge-over-Stack-Rocks-in-Pembrokeshire-August-13th-2013.jpg

Few more on here > http://drewbuckleyphotography.com/perseids-milky-way-photos/

Lovely photos, I really want to get some photos of the milky way but i'm not where to point the camera, Any tips?

Look up :D If it's dark enough where you are, you'll see a white band through the sky of stars.

Ok thank you very much, but i live near a city so it's quite dark but i'm going away to the countryside soon so i'll try and get some there.

Brilliant set. I think my favourite is the one with the meteor in the torch beam.

Great set, espically the last 2 which, for me, are stunning, I can only dream of taking images like those!

I'm in absolute awe.
Please stop posting such images lest I hang myself :LOL:

Beautiful images, could you tell me how you did them please, were they a number of shots stacked, or taken differently, were they just single shot images, really interested...what were your settings.

Many thanks

Number 2 for me but they're all crackers.

Who's been tweeting their photos @VirtualAstro... :LOL: ... Just popped up on my twitter feed, so you've now got a random follower...me

I was out last night and saw 4 biggish meteors - not one coincided with my camera pointing in the right direction with an open shutter.

class!

Great shots drew. I guessed youd be out. Pity I was on my way back to work. Still roll on september.

Gaz

Very stupid question ahoy but is the Milky Way always visible above the UK, provided it's a) dark enough where you are and b) it's a clear (moonless?) night?

I saw it often in NZ and it was very clear to the naked eye just as it appears in the amazing images you've posted - but I've never ever seen it back home.

They're fabulous. I wish I could get that much detail in my milky way pics :(

Very stupid question ahoy but is the Milky Way always visible above the UK, provided it's a) dark enough where you are and b) it's a clear (moonless?) night?
Yes it's always there but in different positions depending on the date and time. The darker it is, the better the chance of seeing it.

There's a free application called stellarium which is great. It allows you to put in your location and date and time it it shows you where it is (the galactic plane). This site is also good for finding a nice dark spot to go to
http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

Super shots of the Milky Way.
I think #3 is a satellite flare.
In 3 years I've not managed to get one decent Perseid meteorite picture despite taking hundreds of exposures and seeing loads where my camera isn't pointing.

I love these shots. I have tried and failed.

#5 for me. The light on the foreground detail brings the composition together and keeps the eye looking up the way (y)

They're fabulous. I wish I could get that much detail in my milky way pics :(

Yes it's always there but in different positions depending on the date and time. The darker it is, the better the chance of seeing it.

There's a free application called stellarium which is great. It allows you to put in your location and date and time it it shows you where it is (the galactic plane). This site is also good for finding a nice dark spot to go to
http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

Thank you very much indeed!

Me²;5755174 said:
Yes. It is actually the edge on view across our galaxy from the inside that we call the Milky Way.

Many thanks everyone (y)(y)

Super shots of the Milky Way.
I think #3 is a satellite flare.
In 3 years I've not managed to get one decent Perseid meteorite picture despite taking hundreds of exposures and seeing loads where my camera isn't pointing.

nah #3 was a definite fireball, it appeared then flickered loads with bright blues then dissipated leaving a trail. Loads of other's saw it on twitter aswell (y)

Back