Petition for photographer's rights.

signatures 3 - closing 9/8/11 hmm popular then

and dont you think that maybe the house has slightly more pressing concerns at the moment ? :bang:

signatures 3 - closing 9/8/11 hmm popular then

and dont you think that maybe the house has slightly more pressing concerns at the moment ? :bang:

I may not be able to type, but at least I can read.

Closing 09/08/12. I'm hoping that even this bunch of incompetent morons will have the rampaging chavscum sorted out in twelve months time.

We already have rights, does anyone really believe that altering them slightly will make a difference to the overworked*/stupid* security guards and police that don't know what our rights are now?

*delete as appropriate to support your own agenda

Byker
I think you'll find that the argument is that there should be legislation to permit, rather than no legislation to forbid.

Of course there is a danger in fighting for law to permit may backfire if there's a perceived public opinion that some aspects shouldn't be allowed, which may then get incorporated!

Last edited:
Byker
I think you'll find that the argument is that there should be legislation to permit, rather than no legislation to forbid.

I think most of the trouble is that there is far too much legislation, so people/officials, whoever get confused. The last govt created over 3000 pieces of new legislation, some rushed through, which weren't necessarily very good or useful.

Our rights as photographers are well known. We can point these out if threatened, choose to move on if we don't feel comfortable, or even call the police if you feel the other party is committing an offence under section 4 of the public order act.

Byker

Of course there is a danger in fighting for law to permit may backfire if there's a perceived public opinion that some aspects shouldn't be allowed, which may then get incorporated!

The public should be entitled to assume that something is lawful, unless it is specifically prohibited. The opposite is Orwellian.

There is little or no chance that the public will ever be consulted, or that the state will show any interest in their opinions, unless these are likely to support their own agenda or influence the vote in the next election.

Get 100,000 signatures to have this debated in the house. LINK

What a load of b*****s. It must be August..

Sorry, but it's a waste of time.. and demanding "rights" without acknowledging responsibilities is me-ism of the highest order. Whether it's rights for photographers, or rights for pogo artists. If you want a right, you better concede your responsibilities at the same time - in the case of photographers it's a case of not being an a$$e in public. For further details see any of the couple of hundred other bleats on the same topic that already exist on this forum.

The rather vague call for training can be easily ignored. The existing training the police officers, PCSOs and security guards include the rights of private individuals. There are no specific "rights for photographers" for them to be trained in.

This has been debated before, and before that, and before that.

The only people who don't want / like the current system, which includes being responsible and courteous, are the mass debaters.

Phil.

I'll try to suppress a yawn, but could you define exactly what `rights` you want, please.

Oh, and the link...doesn't.

but could you define exactly what `rights` you want,

well personaly i'd like the right to 7 terry's chocolate oranges free of charge, to be delivered by the playmate of the month each monday,
and the right to an unending supply of jaffa cakes :LOL:

maybe i should start a petition to have these important rights debated in the house ?

Last edited:
well personaly i'd like the right to 7 terry's chocolate oranges free of charge, to be delivered by the playmate of the month each monday,
and the right to an unending supply of jaffa cakes :LOL:

maybe i should start a petition to have these important rights debated in the house ?

Where do I sign!!!! :D

Martyn

The public should be entitled to assume that something is lawful, unless it is specifically prohibited. The opposite is Orwellian.

Is exactly what I said, but in plain English.

On your second point though, there are groups who lobby MP's for changes or updates to law, and sometimes they are successful. The late News of the World being an example, rightly or wrongly who were instrumental in the so called 'Sarah's Law'. So I'd not be too hasty to dismiss lobbying groups.

My argument isn't for a change in the law one way or another. It's to reduce ignorance of the law as it is today - to stop this sort of thing...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJH9F7Hcluo

I enjoyed the film, it was good. I have never done street photography so what I say here is without any real experience.

In the current global climate I can see why the security guards are a bit jittery. I asume it is common to have people to try to move togs on and even call in the Police if you insist on staying put.

In my naivety to be honest I think out of courtesy I would ask at the reception of the building if it was OK for me to take some pictures. I would leave some contact details, (you never know, they may want to buy some!)
If they refused and I felt very compelled to take the pictures then I would revert to the public land and stand my ground etc.

Byker
!

Surely the tennet of all laws in the UK is that unless something is specifically prohibited then it is permitted. Why do we need legislation to reinforce permitted activity?

Back