Pharmacist's questions at the Chemist

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Me and the missus have been on medication for a good number of years now. I always pick both of our medication up, from our local Chemist who we have been using for years. This morning the Pharmacist called me into a little room, and asked me a few questions about my missus and my health. He also wanted to know about my blood pressure, asking me what the last reading was. He also wanted to know about aches and pains, and other things I had going on. He said it is something the pharmacist does, trying to get to know their patients / customers.

Surely this is not the job or the business of the Pharmacist, and this should only be discussed with your own Doctor? Anyone else had questions asked about health, or medication you take? I think I will ask the Doctor next time I go, and see if this is the norm.

I'm sure you could have refused to answer anything. I do remember something about using pharmacists to try and ease the pressure on doctors surgeries but don't know if it has been implemented anywhere.

Pharmacists often know more about the side effects and interactions of drugs and drug combinations than GPs. No harm in answering their questions and it could even result in a better medication regime for you and Mrs Beeza.

It is quite normal for pharmacists to ask these questions and quite acceptable as well. After all they are also health professionals. Who do you think doctors go to when they have a question about medications?

Up here in my village it's more a case of everyone seeking advice from our chemist for minor ailments even if you've a chronic illness.
He'll tell you if you need a doctor and knows what meds you're taking and as Nod says, knows more about drug combinations than the gps.

I trust my pharmacist.

My daughter works for a high street pharmacy and she told me they get paid £27.00 for an asthma check so perhaps they get paid for other checks!!

So it seems it is the norm them, so alls well then. Just I was taken by surprise, was not expecting it.

I don't know the ins and outs of how they're paid but kids up here get a lot of off the shelf medication free, of course we all get free prescriptions anyway, as it should be for everyone in the UK.
That's why I've never complained about paying NI or income tax, ( not starting anything political, it's a price i'm willing to pay for free healthcare).

Missus jokingly said, other customers would probably think, I have been called into the little room to be give a methadone hit :eek:.

That's usually what the consulting room is used for...but that's another thread, probably heated, lol

I'm sure you could have refused to answer anything. I do remember something about using pharmacists to try and ease the pressure on doctors surgeries but don't know if it has been implemented anywhere.
Pharmacists often know more about the side effects and interactions of drugs and drug combinations than GPs. No harm in answering their questions and it could even result in a better medication regime for you and Mrs Beeza.
Up here in my village it's more a case of everyone seeking advice from our chemist for minor ailments even if you've a chronic illness.
He'll tell you if you need a doctor and knows what meds you're taking and as Nod says, knows more about drug combinations than the gps.

I trust my pharmacist.

After I told the Pharmacist all mine and my missus's woes, he said if I needed any extra help with things, I should tell him. He says there are things he could do to help. Our Chemist is based in our medical centre, so they do keep in close contact with the Doctors. So I suppose it all does make sense.

Aye, i'm not bothered about professional healthcare folk knowing my medical history, no-one else though.

I don't know the ins and outs of how they're paid but kids up here get a lot of off the shelf medication free, of course we all get free prescriptions anyway, as it should be for everyone in the UK.
That's why I've never complained about paying NI or income tax, ( not starting anything political, it's a price i'm willing to pay for free healthcare).
Same as me and the missus, we both started work at fifteen and are now retired. Bad health has started to creep up on me, missus has always been knackered. So now that we need a little extra medical help, maybe I should welcome the Pharmacist with open arms ;).

Same as me and the missus, we both started work at fifteen and are now retired. Bad health has started to creep up on me, missus has always been knackered. So now that we need a little extra medical help, maybe I should welcome the Pharmacist with open arms ;).

My missus is knackered too, worked all her days excluding time off to watch the children from birth to P1, finished last year although not receiving any wage, is still officially employed but in no fit state to do her job (retail supervisor) , it's a thing she was born with and now gone through and continuing meds for cancer.

That's usually what the consulting room is used for...but that's another thread, probably heated, lol

Not always true.
Methadone can be self administered.

Going back to the OP, I didn't used to like the questioning by the chemist, and referred them to my GP; but I've used the same outlet for the last few years and she's brilliant.

My missus is knackered too, worked all her days excluding time off to watch the children from birth to P1, finished last year although not receiving any wage, is still officially employed but in no fit state to do her job (retail supervisor) , it's a thing she was born with and now gone through and continuing meds for cancer.
Hope things go well for you..

Missus is taking time out for help in recovery, going away for a little while with the family. That is why I was at Chemist, had to stock up on medication :).

Not always true.
Methadone can be self administered.
I don't think they tend to give out for home consumption, I think there is a fear it may be sold for something stronger possibly.

Last edited:
Hope things go well for you..

Missus is taking time out for help in recovery, going away for a little while with the family. That is why I was at Chemist, had to stock up on medication :).

Aye, things are ok, it's a thing that doesn't miss many families,so just got to fight on and not lie down to anything.

I don't think they tend to give out for home consumption, I think there is a fear it may be sold for something stronger possibly.

That was rife up here, even holding it in the mouth and spitting it out in a container outside the chemist shop, hence the taking it and showing in private that it's been swallowed.

I got asked by a pharmacist in Tesco why did I want to buy Kaolin and Morphine?

Replied as much as I enjoy the great taste I actually have the tom tits

Why did they honestly think I wanted the vile stuff

Last edited:

The prescribing Dr can specify how much, how often and for how long, but can't insist it be administered by a pharmacist; and the dispensing pharmacist can't insist on being present when taken.

The prescribing Dr can specify how much, how often and for how long, but can't insist it be administered by a pharmacist; and the dispensing pharmacist can't insist on being present when taken.
I would not have a clue, how these things would work :).

Because you can separate the morphine out if you know how (I had a Saturday job in a pharmacy and so had to do the pharmacy staff training - sorry, I won't be sharing the technique :p ).

At 0.458mg of morphine per 5ml spoonful, you'd have to go some! :LOL:

Indeed. Hence normally you wouldn't show concern at someone buying a single bottle.
The OP must look shifty ;)

Indeed. Hence normally you wouldn't show concern at someone buying a single bottle.
The OP must look shifty ;)
To be honest, I was thinking along those lines :).

It was my missus's medication she is on at the moment, she has had one operation and another looming up, to repair her damaged arms. She is on a morphine based drug, and I always pick it up. The Pharmacist did say to me, that I looked tired and asked was everything OK. We have a lot going on at the moment, so things do get a little hectic, and yes I do not get as much sleep as I should. I was half thinking, does the Pharmacist think I am taking it myself :confused:.

I am always suspicious, and I just wondered why he wanted a chat with me. Makes you wonder.

I think that some Pharmacists are able to prescribe. With the pressure to see a doctor so high, we tend to head to chat with our local pharmacist first - and certainly abroad to ensure that anything needed whilst away does not conflict with anything we are currently prescribed.

It's all part of the NHS' plan to make better use of services at their disposal. Most, if not all pharmacies will have consultation rooms now where they will discuss minor ailments or perform a variety of health check screening.

Mum worked in a chemist for about 20 years and in the last 5 years or so had to go on lots of training courses as the role of the local pharmacy changed quite a lot.

Makes sense to me, there are probably a lot more pharmacies than doctors/surgeries in the same way that there are more doctors surgeries than A&E departments. People should take a little more care when seeking health advice/treatment.

Never underestimate desperation.. there's folk that will drink hand sanitiser for the alcohol..

Having the pharmacist check details can be important, a family member had a potential contraindication picked up when the GP changed one of their prescriptions. If you have 'scripts from both the GP and the hospital it's often the pharmacist that sees the two sets of medications alongside each other the most clearly. They can also advise on seemingly simple things, like whether aspirin or paracetamol or ibuprofen is most suitable given your condition, medical history and any medications you're on. All three can be contraindicated by different prescription med's.

Now that's a surprise I was told at my chemists that it was no longer available ,how long ago was this as a matter of interest .

Hmm interesting cheers Ruth

They've been doing at my pharmacy for years, I've no objection, it also helps to know your getting the right medication and dose, my doctor has messed both up on more than one occasion.

Missus jokingly said, other customers would probably think, I have been called into the little room to be give a methadone hit :eek:.
In one chemist I used to use they don't even take them into a consulting room, just pass the dose across the counter for them to drink

Now that's a surprise I was told at my chemists that it was no longer available ,how long ago was this as a matter of interest .

Can't honestly remember, last year I think, just looked and Lloyds now show it as a prescription item.

Will ask in Boots next time I pop in there, hope its still available, works a treat

Back