weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Hi Phil :)

Trying to catch up a bit again I am...

Texture - Certainly plenty of textures there, I think you could have got away with a close up of the ground as that is as textured as a crunchy bar (Nom Nom), but still the cliffs add a good setting and it's nice to see some blue skies (y)

Wild - Dam he is a hairy fellow :D an interesting image with such a narrow DoF,

Lovely detail where the focus is and the rest of the body easily identifiable, I really like how it appears to be peeping over the edge (y)

Dream - Although not a dreamy 'looking' image it certainly works with your explanation, quite a dark shot that sets the tone nicely, looks a nice peaceful spot :)

Clouds - I Agree "......ok, so you need a little imagination for this one too ;):D" :)

Vertical - When it started to scroll up my screen I was thinking GOD that's dark, was nicely suprised when I see the rest of the image, a nice bit of colour in the sky and some interesting cloud formations, looks quite straight too :D

Thanks DK, I was guilty of popping him on the fence for a better pov, I can only presume he was thinking, 'looks a little high......how the hell did I get up here!' :D

Dreamy - nothing beats a day with the fishing rods dreaming of the big one like the idea

Vertical - perfect timing with the lighting a really nice image well done

Cheers Craig

HI ya

Dream.....as others may have mentioned....I can barely make out the rod's but that aside I like the framing with(y) the tree's & the sliver of light on the horizon

Vertical....now that I like , bit of a sunset & a good silhouette plus nicely placed just off centre

:wave:, thanks Lynne

Well, I had an idea for yum. All it needed was a couple of props and a performing wasp, typically the wasps weren't playing ball :banghead: but I haven't given up on the idea and might have another go some time.

Sat outside having mi breakfast yesterday up near Elterwater, this little chap/chapess :thinking: came and sat next to mi :cool: Thinking I was desperate for 'yum' I broke up a Bourbon ( its ok they aren't mi favourite ;)) and he was very obliging :banana:

I would've liked a lower pov and the grass next to his beak holding the crumb is a little distracting
dunno.gif
but it was just an opportunist shot.

All honest crit and comments welcome and very appreciated but, again, please don't feel you have to :)

Done to death, the obliging (and grateful I was :D) robin

Yum

TP 52 week 27 yum
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

I agree about your comments regarding POV etc, but for an opportunist shot, wow. I was too slow yesterday when we found an adder in my aun & uncle's garden to get even a shot!

Nice and crisp.
Mr. Robin looks happy with his catch.

Nice one Phil - 'tis only a Robin, but you've caught great feather detail there.

Desaturating the yellow brings the grass down quite well, need to do it selectively otherwise it affects the chest as well.

(y) for not being at f5.6 here, tail feathers are out of the in focus area, but the body has come up really well. Noise is pretty much non-existant to, so ISO 800 looks to be very usable for you! :)

I agree about your comments regarding POV etc, but for an opportunist shot, wow. I was too slow yesterday when we found an adder in my aun & uncle's garden to get even a shot!

Nice and crisp.
Mr. Robin looks happy with his catch.

Thanks Simon, I say opportunist but it did flit back and forth a few times, I think this was about my 6th attempt to get a shot I was happy with :)

Nice one Phil - 'tis only a Robin, but you've caught great feather detail there.

Desaturating the yellow brings the grass down quite well, need to do it selectively otherwise it affects the chest as well.

(y) for not being at f5.6 here, tail feathers are out of the in focus area, but the body has come up really well. Noise is pretty much non-existant to, so ISO 800 looks to be very usable for you! :)

Thanks Graham, first couple of shots suffered from motion blur, damn bird just wouldn't keep still :bat::D I knew I may not get many more shots so upped the ISO, went higher f number, to give a little more dof (could possibly have stood higher) and a faster shutter speed, to try freeze its erratic jumping about :banghead:
Because it was shot in raw, after some adjustments in 'basic' (ACR), it was a bit noisy, but managed to reduce it in 'detail' fairly easily :)

Quick commentary this week owing to other commitments, but great opportunistic shot, Phil! For something where you only had seconds, it's a great capture. Shallower DOF would be nice to blur the background but then as Graham mentioned, the tail would have been more OOF. I like it!

Hi Phil
I have fallen behind - apologies
Texture - plenty of variety in the cliffs - just those buildings as mentioned
Wild - super shot of the caterpillar - good pov and dof. Agree that b/g is a bit strange but does not detract.
Dream - looks fine on my pc - works for the theme. Good silhouette of the trees and the reelections are good. Nice sky and the tips of the rods and their symmetry are interesting.(y)
Vertical - certainly is. Spot on , good sky and clouds - well handled.
Yum - as an opportunist shot that is fine. Fits the theme - you have given your own crit.

Hi, great shot of the robin, only thing I can add to the above maybe a little crop off the top

Quick commentary this week owing to other commitments, but great opportunistic shot, Phil! For something where you only had seconds, it's a great capture. Shallower DOF would be nice to blur the background but then as Graham mentioned, the tail would have been more OOF. I like it!

Hi Phil
I have fallen behind - apologies
Texture - plenty of variety in the cliffs - just those buildings as mentioned
Wild - super shot of the caterpillar - good pov and dof. Agree that b/g is a bit strange but does not detract.
Dream - looks fine on my pc - works for the theme. Good silhouette of the trees and the reelections are good. Nice sky and the tips of the rods and their symmetry are interesting.(y)
Vertical - certainly is. Spot on , good sky and clouds - well handled.
Yum - as an opportunist shot that is fine. Fits the theme - you have given your own crit.

Hi Phil,
Lovely little robin, great detail in his feathers, he really does appear to be enjoying his bit of biscuit (y)(y)

Hi Phil well I love your little robin, I was thinking 'oh he's eating some of Phils fishing bait' and then read it was a Bourbon :eek: quick thinking there .... a super shot

Hi, great shot of the robin, only thing I can add to the above maybe a little crop off the top

Thanks for the comments folks, its much appreciated :)

Apologies for the multi-quote single reply, but I'm on the slowest dial up connection ever :banghead:....but at least I have a connection,:banana: its more than we normally have when off in us camper :rolleyes:

Down at Fairford this weekend for the RIAT so loud had to be an obvious decision for me :D

My own cit would be too tightly cropped, but its as shot, no crop and I seem to like the way it fits full in frame ( more luck than management if I'm being honest ;)) its a bit in ya face and believe me it was certainly noisy.

Its definitely not perfect by a long way, I'm pretty sure you'll see the odd image shot at this years RIAT that might be a tad better :p but with a £60 Sigma 70-300 none IS I feel fairly happy :)

Honest crit and comments welcome as always :)

P.S ...:thinking:....all I know is its a jet plane :oops: :$:D

Loud

Loud
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Very very nice, too tight at the front but that's all.

Same sky as we had here near Farnborough today. :(

Hi Phil, I think you have answered your own crit more space around it and a better sky.
yeah your right definitely a jet plane :p

Yum - lovely shot and works for me not bad for an opportunist shot.

Loud - nice shot and works well for the theme sorry I forgot to mention that the jet is a F-16 one off my favourite jets.

Last edited:
Yum - Hi Phil cant argue with your own crit but for a snap shot it works well on the little fella

Loud - what a fantastic capture love the fact you can see the pilot a bit more space front and back would add to it i think but its not as if you get much time to set these up :)

Very very nice, too tight at the front but that's all.

Same sky as we had here near Farnborough today. :(

Thanks Graham, there was some blue about, but typically, most of mi better shots have a grey b/g :banghead: :D

Hi Phil, I think you have answered your own crit more space around it and a better sky.
yeah your right definitely a jet plane :p

Cheers Allan :D

I would be pleased with that Phil . Good capture and partic like the elemtns of colour in the canopy and the wingtip. Smoke trail adds to effect.(y)
good to see that you and Allan @alsjazzera agree on the make and model.:)

Thanks Alan

Yum - lovely shot and works for me not bad for an opportunist shot.

Loud - nice shot and works well for the theme sorry I forgot to mention that the jet is a F-16 one off my favourite jets.

Thanks Mandy and for the I.D.....all I know is if its fast and loud I like 'em :D

Yum - Hi Phil cant argue with your own crit but for a snap shot it works well on the little fella

Loud - what a fantastic capture love the fact you can see the pilot a bit more space front and back would add to it i think but its not as if you get much time to set these up :)

Thanks Craig

Yum, well captured, lovley detail, I do like robins. I'd like to see a little more pop.

Loud, nice oveall detail but as you said a little close.

Cheers.

Really great capture if a bit too tight (esp left) as others have remarked. Again, maybe a PP candidate to replace the sky (and put in a bigger image, leaving more room??)

Super smoke trails, detail etc. Really good job, save for the composition (which might be fixable with some PP)?

Dream - Out of the two I prefer #2 but I feel it maybe needs some foreground interest to add to the pleasant view. There was an in joke at a camera club many years ago where we thought a photographer carried a stuffed sheep with him as he always got one in his foregrounds. LOL

Vertical - Not particularly an interesting subject matter but you've captured some lovely colours in the sky as the Sun goes down/up. Having that glow just on the horizon is nice

Yum - Super pic of the robin. Very sharp indeed. After some of the discussion regarding monitors and dark exposure I'm thinking it would be worth just reducing the exposure a tad on the stones to emphasise the bird a little more

Loud - Great capture of the F16 in flight. I know just how loud military jets can be having been to many an airshow and indeed having worked 12 years for British Aerospace including a stint of a few years in a portacabin close to the side of the runway

Thanks for the comments folks, its much appreciated :)

Honest crit and comments welcome as always :)

P.S ...:thinking:....all I know is its a jet plane :oops: :$:D

Loud

As mentioned - Loud is a great photo and I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of trying a bit of photoshop trickery on your grey sky (you do have "Edit my images" checked)... I've always wanted to have a crack at sky replacement and this has given me the opportunity :)

Here's a link to my attempt - it's not great and I won't be offended if you don't like it... https://flic.kr/p/o5seiw (I won't post a picture as this is your thread!)

Yum, well captured, lovley detail, I do like robins. I'd like to see a little more pop.

Loud, nice oveall detail but as you said a little close.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Dream - Out of the two I prefer #2 but I feel it maybe needs some foreground interest to add to the pleasant view. There was an in joke at a camera club many years ago where we thought a photographer carried a stuffed sheep with him as he always got one in his foregrounds. LOL

Vertical - Not particularly an interesting subject matter but you've captured some lovely colours in the sky as the Sun goes down/up. Having that glow just on the horizon is nice

Yum - Super pic of the robin. Very sharp indeed. After some of the discussion regarding monitors and dark exposure I'm thinking it would be worth just reducing the exposure a tad on the stones to emphasise the bird a little more

Loud - Great capture of the F16 in flight. I know just how loud military jets can be having been to many an airshow and indeed having worked 12 years for British Aerospace including a stint of a few years in a portacabin close to the side of the runway

Thanks Peter, appreciate all the comments :)

Really great capture if a bit too tight (esp left) as others have remarked. Again, maybe a PP candidate to replace the sky (and put in a bigger image, leaving more room??)

Super smoke trails, detail etc. Really good job, save for the composition (which might be fixable with some PP)?

As mentioned - Loud is a great photo and I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of trying a bit of photoshop trickery on your grey sky (you do have "Edit my images" checked)... I've always wanted to have a crack at sky replacement and this has given me the opportunity :)

Here's a link to my attempt - it's not great and I won't be offended if you don't like it... https://flic.kr/p/o5seiw (I won't post a picture as this is your thread!)

Absolutely bloody fantastic Paul :clap:,thank you, how much better does that look (y) I have no idea how it was done and mi biggest problem is, I don't have time to learn :banghead: but its certainly on mi to do list for later in the year

Ok, a bit of a cop out again :whistle: but I'm struggling for rich, I have a bit of an idea, nothing special and might get chance to shoot something over the weekend.

So, re-shoot :D

Loud :angelic: ........ no comments or crit necessary, I really do appreciate them but feel that I'm not doing my bit lately so don't expect any in return :)

Turkish F-16 Nikon D70
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

F-16...damn fine aeroplane.

I like this. The composition works really well and the contrast between the orange and blue is wonderful. It has a slight cartoon feel to it....meant as a positive because it really pops.

Nice one.

Chests.

Looks great Phil - don't know why that's a cop out! And you'd have to be pretty bl**dy rich to afford one so surely it's two (metal) birds with one stone?

BTW, the sky replacement I did was actually reasonably straightforward - probably took about 15 minutes and most of that was getting the feathering right on the cut-out of the plane!

Wot i said in your other thread. ;)

Have to say, great minds thinking alike this week. :D

HI Phil

how could I not comment on that Loud reshoot...angle , color , afterburner ,exposure , blue sky....it's got it all...possibly a small contrast boost to make it pop a little more but it's a fab shot :clap:

Original shot for Loud is also good , love the vapor over the wings , it fills the frame & to get that result with that lens ya done well :clap:

YUM...what's not to like about a Robin shot , cracking wee birds & always willing to pose...you've given your own crit but for a grab shot it's worked well :)

Loud, as Andy said it has a slight cartoon (thunderbirds :)) feel but that's not a bad thing at all.

It is almost as if it has been CGI'd, great photo (y)

F-16...damn fine aeroplane.

I like this. The composition works really well and the contrast between the orange and blue is wonderful. It has a slight cartoon feel to it....meant as a positive because it really pops.

Nice one.

Chests.

Cheers Andy

Looks great Phil - don't know why that's a cop out! And you'd have to be pretty bl**dy rich to afford one so surely it's two (metal) birds with one stone?

BTW, the sky replacement I did was actually reasonably straightforward - probably took about 15 minutes and most of that was getting the feathering right on the cut-out of the plane!

Cheers Paul, bit of a cop out because I didn't actually take it with re-shoot in mind, hadn't shot owt for 'rich', so it was just easier to pop this up :)

Fantastic image. Great sky, great detail, great afterburner!

Cheers Simon

Hi, very nice, :exit:

Thanks Allan :D

Hi Phil

Loud re-shoot - works well with the angle and the colour. Good smoke trails and afterburner.

Cheers Alan

RE-shoot - great work there looks like the type of image you would find on a children's book, the angle and positing is perfect

Cheers Craig

Wot i said in your other thread. ;)

Have to say, great minds thinking alike this week. :D

Thanks again Graham, it was just too easy (read lazy :oops: :$) for me to put this up for re-shoot with not doing a shot for rich :rolleyes:

Great minds indeed! :D

HI Phil

how could I not comment on that Loud reshoot...angle , color , afterburner ,exposure , blue sky....it's got it all...possibly a small contrast boost to make it pop a little more but it's a fab shot :clap:

Original shot for Loud is also good , love the vapor over the wings , it fills the frame & to get that result with that lens ya done well :clap:

YUM...what's not to like about a Robin shot , cracking wee birds & always willing to pose...you've given your own crit but for a grab shot it's worked well :)

:wave: Lynne, thanks for the comments :)

Loud, as Andy said it has a slight cartoon (thunderbirds :)) feel but that's not a bad thing at all.

It is almost as if it has been CGI'd, great photo (y)

Cheers Mark

I do agree, I also thought it looked a bit cartoonish :confused:.....I was a bit heavy on the clarity slider in ACR could that have caused it?

Inspired by Graham @overbez .....here's my entry for skill :naughty:

Honestly, no crit or comments required, I'm still in but only by the skin of mi teeth :D

I'll try make more of an effort and get round a few 52'ers over the next week :)

Skill :angelic:.............this maybe classed as an archive shot DK @Dark Knight :p

Italian Display team RIAT '14
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Inspired by Graham @overbez .....here's my entry for skill :naughty:

Shushhhh you... You're gonna get us both into trouble! :D :LOL:

Like this, the one shooting of the wrong way makes a nice difference, would it take it bit more colour (sat or vibrance maybe?)

Shushhhh you... You're gonna get us both into trouble! :D :LOL:

Like this, the one shooting of the wrong way makes a nice difference, would it take it bit more colour (sat or vibrance maybe?)

Cheers Graham.........I'm easily led :angelic: :LOL: I did think it looked a little washed out miself, I'll give it a touch more colour, see how it looks :)

Re shoot - I like it nice angle on the jet and the detail is held well good job.

Skill - Nice image even if it is an archive at least it keeps you in the game.

Thanks Mandy :)

Skill - good take, not your most compelling (perhaps a touch more PP?) but still a good shot. Looking forward to your next one!

Thanks Paul, completely agree

Back