Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Week 0 - Patterns

FUJIFILM X-E1, f/2 @ 35 mm, 1/1900, ISO 200, No Flash
p132624164-6.jpg

Last edited:
Week 0 - Patterns - Comments

I'll be really impressed if anyone can tell me what the photo is of! (It is in Northamptonshire)

Taken at f/2 for a thin, if not miniscule, depth of field. Processed in Silver Efex and Lightroom.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

My first thought is that it was a load of bedsprings from the inside of a mattress…But I don't think it is looking again… Great image whatever the subject. I like the angled composition and it seems to show good repatition that there is many more than those framed in the shot

Please tell us!

Mark

My first thought is that it was a load of bedsprings from the inside of a mattress…But I don't think it is looking again… Great image whatever the subject. I like the angled composition and it seems to show good repatition that there is many more than those framed in the shot

Please tell us!

Mark

Thanks! Well it is an unusual sculpture - will dig out the link later unless someone beats me to it!

Welcome back Phil :)
Good to see you joining in again and fingers crossed for a full 52 weeks this year.

If you haven't spotted it, there's a new thread since last time you were here - "Photos Only"
The idea is that you also post your pic and a link back to your thread there each week. You know how busy this section gets (especially in January) and things fall right off the front page so it's a bit of a heads up to other 52ers that you've updated your thread with the latest image.

:LOL: I had a few ideas what this might be, but your cryptic "it's in Northamptonshire" and sculpture reference has proved me completely wrong!
Whatever it is, it's pin sharp where it needs to be and that's a lovely B&W conversion.

Welcome back Phil :)
Good to see you joining in again and fingers crossed for a full 52 weeks this year.

If you haven't spotted it, there's a new thread since last time you were here - "Photos Only"
The idea is that you also post your pic and a link back to your thread there each week. You know how busy this section gets (especially in January) and things fall right off the front page so it's a bit of a heads up to other 52ers that you've updated your thread with the latest image.

:LOL: I had a few ideas what this might be, but your cryptic "it's in Northamptonshire" and sculpture reference has proved me completely wrong!
Whatever it is, it's pin sharp where it needs to be and that's a lovely B&W conversion.

Many thanks, Sarah - I've been doing a few more weddings / commercial events recently which has led to me doing less photography for fun - I'm hoping the '52 will help me re-ignite my passion for creating images for the sake of it!

I'll post a link to sculpture in a moment & add a link to the photos only thread now.

Phil

Hmm - I think it was part of a project called 'Changing Tracks' but I can't find the specific information online.

Basically it was an unusual sculpture at Stanwick Lakes, Northampton.

It's beginning to turn into a what is it pattern thrrad great for the old grey matter. Personally not an area I know. No further comments to add than what others have said. I too jibbed very early in 2013. If memory serves me right I did two weeks. Good luck for the challenge.

Nice opening image I would like to see slightly more but still a nice shot Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thanks both - the original image showed more coils, but it just didn't work for me as a composition until I cropped it.

I love that Phil. DOF works really really well for me: I think even a smidge more would have weakened it, at least as far as my eye is concerned so your judgement was spot on for me. Angles are great, lighting nicely handled without overcomplicating... basically just a damned good photo! Processing complements it very well too...

Really looking forward to more of your contributions as the year goes on, Phil!

welcome Phil

whatever it is it photographs well.

Yep ... Looking forward to seeing your other contributions.

Nice and unusual :)

Nicely balanced with the in and out of focus as well as the composition :)

It looks like some sort of twisted cane to me, no idea what the overall thing is though.

Week 1 - Bliss

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, f/5.6 @ 135 mm, 6s, ISO 100, No Flash

p105027575-6.jpg

Week 1 - Bliss - Comments

Well this photo was a nightmare! I started off thinking I'd do some whisky in front of my loudspeakers, but I decided this was a weak composition and a bit too much like a shot I'd taken back in the 2010_52.

So I thought I'd do a close up of some of my Linn hi-fi gear as listening to music on the set-up is my idea of bliss - especially with a well-recorded disk like the one that is in the open tray. (Raising Sands)

To get both the title of the cd and the words on the left hand side of the shot I had to blend two exposures as even at f/5.6 the depth of field was too thin. I then processed the shot in Silver Efex to give more punch to the blacks of the unit and then brought the coloured LEDs back in.

The LED's were over-exposed compared to the black of the casing and I had to adjust their brightness accordingly and remove a little flare around the digits.

Finally I added a slight vignette as it seemed to give the shot a little more impact.

The Hi-Fi set-up (in the unlikely event anyone cares!)

I firmly believe most people have never heard a decent hi-fi and many who listen to my setup are surprised by how much detail that they've never heard before is coming off a CD they thought they knew! The frightening thing is that it is possible to spend many times the value of my hi-fi for ever increasing sound quality. (Although the returns are diminishing as you get into the tens of thousands!).

Anyhow - the system:

Linn Ikemi CD player - superb reproduction and built to last - the CD tray is solid metal and so strong you can lift up the whole (very heavy) player by grabbing it!

Linn Wakonda Pre-Amp

Two Linn LK140 Amps - one to drive the treble, one for the bass and midrange.

Interconnects - gold plated, solid silver cores.

Speaker cable - Bi-wired with Silver plated, OFC core cables.

Speakers - Castle Harlech MKII's

Mains - ISOL 8 minisub & a bunch of hi-end mains cables.

Last edited:
I love that Phil. DOF works really really well for me: I think even a smidge more would have weakened it, at least as far as my eye is concerned so your judgement was spot on for me. Angles are great, lighting nicely handled without overcomplicating... basically just a damned good photo! Processing complements it very well too...

Really looking forward to more of your contributions as the year goes on, Phil!

I'm now blushing everso slightly!

Hi Phil... that's a good shot. I can empathise with the bliss of listening to good music sounding good - a friend has a fairly high end hifi (including some insane "Nautilus" speakers) and you're right that music sounds totally different. Not sure I'd be allowed to spend nearly £10k on a system, mind! :eek:

Back to the photo, I think you've put a lot of work in to make a photo that does indeed look good. I wonder whether a touch of fill beneath the open CD tray would help slightly as I find the shadow very slightly distracting (unbalancing a little bit, if that makes sense?) but otherwise it's spot on. Enough shadow detail in there for me :)

It's a thing of beauty Phil, the dof is just about perfect for me. Looking forward to some more hi-fi related shots throughout the year.

Hi Phil... that's a good shot. I can empathise with the bliss of listening to good music sounding good - a friend has a fairly high end hifi (including some insane "Nautilus" speakers) and you're right that music sounds totally different. Not sure I'd be allowed to spend nearly £10k on a system, mind! :eek:

Back to the photo, I think you've put a lot of work in to make a photo that does indeed look good. I wonder whether a touch of fill beneath the open CD tray would help slightly as I find the shadow very slightly distracting (unbalancing a little bit, if that makes sense?) but otherwise it's spot on. Enough shadow detail in there for me :)

Many thanks for the comments - I know what you mean about the shadows - in most photos the shadows make the shot, but in a more product-style photo this is not necessarily true - I'm undecided!

Looks expensive :)

Nice whites and blacks, maybe a little more light??

Cheers.

Well the Ikemi was North of £2k to start with!

I know what you mean - it's a dark shot and I've made it darker in processing - perhaps I went too far but I wanted a serious and understated look.

Thanks for commenting!

Phil

Hey Phil, I think I managed 20-odd weeks in the 2010 52 so well done for going the distance!

Love the hifi gear! In my youth it was a Rega Planar record player, Yamaha Amp and Kef speakers (low-mid budget stuff). Martin Hannett's production of Joy Division's "Closer" was just incredible... Ah, those were the days... I do appreciate audio quality but with the size of idevices and hard drives instead of CDs, I've succumbed to convenience....

Your image speaks to me of a "bygone era" and would have really made me smile if it was in sepia :). I think it completely hits the theme and is a strong dark image. My major niggle is the way that the forum resizing software seems to me to have added some soft forcussing that disappears when you "click for larger". The larger image is far superior which is odd.

Looking forward to the rest of the year.

Hi Phil,

The photo in shot 2 in your thread is of aluminium helicoils used to prolong the life of wooden rail sleepers when the chair screw hole becomes worn. I work in the factory that makes these. Good picture.

Cheers.

Hi Phil,

The photo in shot 2 in your thread is of aluminium helicoils used to prolong the life of wooden rail sleepers when the chair screw hole becomes worn. I work in the factory that makes these. Good picture.

Cheers.

Fascinating - thanks for clearing that up! A load of them were attached to sculpture thingy - I had no idea what they were!

Nice kit Phil, reminds me of the days when we used to actually repair electronics!
Its a difficult subject to take photographs of isn't it, some nice blacks going on there and you did a good job on muting the LEDs in PP as they always tend to burn so bright although you wouldn't think so with looking at them with your eyes. Surprised you didn't edge up the aperture a tad to give a greater dof. Like the shot and the coils in the patten subject week0

Just playing catch up with feedback now
Nice work and nice equipment!

Back