Phone upgrade time

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Well its that time where I get to upgrade my phone (well thats what vodafone tells me :p )

I haven't really had a look whats out there tbh and wouldn't mind a bit of help from you lovely people!

iPhone, HTC, Samsung Galaxy S2?

What would you get if you was to upgrade this month?

Thank you.

Upgraded last month and went from Blackberry to iPhone 4 - no regrets.

I wouldn't mind a iPhone 4 tbh, but its the typing that gets me. I can't really do it on a iPhone :LOL:

Who you with and whats your contract like if you dont mind me asking?

The typing thing was my main worry but I rarely make a mistake now - I'm with Orange (24 months) and run the iPhone and a cut-down SIM for my iPad on about £30 a month - cut £10 a month off my bill by swapping.

NOT an iphone everybody I know with one has had loads of problems and a few have gone as far as getting rid of it
Just my take on the great iphone debate, I have an android phone and love it,it seems to do everything an iphone can but not break lol

Rob

Don't know what problems 'everyone' has been experiencing, I can only speak as I find, no crashes, does many things that my Blackberry wouldn't and with the iPad makes a very useful combination.

I love my iPhone 4 - it was given to me as a gift and before that I never really wanted one but now I'd not be without it.

Having said that, I'd really like a go at the Galaxy S2 to have a play with Android.

A few years back I signed up for a sim only deal with O2 and got 600 mins, 600 texts and unlimited internet. Until I got the iPhone I used only 30-40Mb a month. In the month since getting the iPhone that has gone up to over 600Mb but I expect that is due to the novelty factor.

I wasn't so keen on the keypad at first but now it's like second nature to me.

What phone do you have at the moment?

NOT an iphone everybody I know with one has had loads of problems and a few have gone as far as getting rid of it
Just my take on the great iphone debate, I have an android phone and love it,it seems to do everything an iphone can but not break lol

Rob

What do you use then Rob?

Whats the HTC Sensation like?

I love my iPhone 4 - it was given to me as a gift and before that I never really wanted one but now I'd not be without it.

Having said that, I'd really like a go at the Galaxy S2 to have a play with Android.

A few years back I signed up for a sim only deal with O2 and got 600 mins, 600 texts and unlimited internet. Until I got the iPhone I used only 30-40Mb a month. In the month since getting the iPhone that has gone up to over 600Mb but I expect that is due to the novelty factor.

I wasn't so keen on the keypad at first but now it's like second nature to me.

What phone do you have at the moment?

Thanks for your input. I currently have a N97 and its, well **** :LOL: I like the keyboard on it though, thats why I think I'll struggle with typing on a iPhone (and have done when using my friends)

I can get a iPhone 4 for free through mobiles.co.uk so its quite tempting, as the price always put me off.

The typing thing was my main worry but I rarely make a mistake now - I'm with Orange (24 months) and run the iPhone and a cut-down SIM for my iPad on about £30 a month - cut £10 a month off my bill by swapping.

Not a bad deal! I think I'd be looking at about £36 a month for 24 months.

My iphone 3gs is up for renewal but I think I'll hang on until the iphone 5 comes out to see what's around then. Android phones look good though.

Not sure what problems the poster above is on about?

My iphone 3gs is up for renewal but I think I'll hang on until the iphone 5 comes out to see what's around then. Android phones look good though.

Not sure what problems the poster above is on about?

Thats the thing wasn't everybody expecting the iPhone 5 to be coming out last month? When will it be released? I can't really be bothered waiting month after month going by rumours. :LOL:

I have th LG optimus gt540 2 of my kids have it too with a big memory card they use it for music etc as for the problems with the iphone 4 they are having problems sending and receiving texts and have found the touch screen to be hit and miss and fragile . But as I have never had or used an iphone I'm not the best person to listen to lol
All this was done on my phone :)

Rob

You probably won't be disapointed with an iPhone, but give the HTC Desire HD some thought. What put me off the iPhone: Costs more, you can't remove the battery, you can't use memory cards so are stuck with however much memory the phone has, you have to use Itunes to transfer music to it.

Good deals for phones - keep an eye on hotukdeals website, and if you don't mind risking cashback contracts and are organised, check e2save website.

iPhone.

I got the 1st one the day it came out and pretty much have upgraded on launchday since. Great screen and does everything I need it to.

Have a Blackberry work phone and its a pile of poo!!

Many posts I read for the iphone 5 or 4s or whatever they eant to call it, said september. Go for the galaxy s2, I have had one for a few weeks now and I love it. The screen is superb.

A few people have recommended the S2 to me. I will have a look into it :)

You probably won't be disapointed with an iPhone, but give the HTC Desire HD some thought. What put me off the iPhone: Costs more, you can't remove the battery, you can't use memory cards so are stuck with however much memory the phone has, you have to use Itunes to transfer music to it.

Good deals for phones - keep an eye on hotukdeals website, and if you don't mind risking cashback contracts and are organised, check e2save website.

The Desire HD I can get a pretty decent 12 month contract. All the others really need to be 24 for whatI want to pay.

The memory wouldn't really be an issue on a iPhone tbh 16gb is plenty for me. No issues with iTunes either with me having a macbook pro, I've got use to the mac and its os and like it.

Thank you for the websites too! :)

I had a HTC HD2 running Android which was pretty smooth. My S2 arrived on Monday & it's silky (y)

The HTC desire is a great phone apart from not sending mms very common problem I believe.Had the Iphone before and in my opinion the iPhone is over rated and a rip off .

My daughter has the blackberry android and she's really happy with it ,in the end it comes down to the individual I think and what they want their phone to do .

A few people have recommended the S2 to me. I will have a look into it :)

The Desire HD I can get a pretty decent 12 month contract. All the others really need to be 24 for whatI want to pay.

The memory wouldn't really be an issue on a iPhone tbh 16gb is plenty for me. No issues with iTunes either with me having a macbook pro, I've got use to the mac and its os and like it.

Thank you for the websites too! :)

I used iPhones since day one but sold my iPhone4 a few months back to jump to Android. Had no issues I just got bored of iOS!

If you do go the Android route rather than an iPhone4, check out DoubleTwist and their Airsync app as well for wireless syncing of music videos etc.

I'm glad I went to an Android device as its a fresh OS to get into. horses for courses though, they both do what they do very well.
I'd go to a phone shop and have a play with demo handsets first, you can take other peoples advice all day long but if you can't get on with what they say....

The typing on an Iphone is pretty easy, even with my sausage fingers I always seem to hit the right letter, not tried android but I expect it's pretty much the same, the video on the iphone 4 is pretty good though

Ive had an iPhone 4 for a couple of months and had no issues with it whatsoever. A great phone in my opinion. A workmate got one the same time as me and is happy with his as well. You get used to the keypad very quickly and it's the only phone I've had where the predictive text works decently.

My daughter got a Blackberry recently and hates it !!

Mank said:
Whats the HTC Sensation like?
Recently upgraded to this myself on O2. Absolutely LOVE the phone, lovely screen, touch and camera work well and love the fact I just had to install a £3.19 app from the market to play Metal Gear Solid 1 on it! :cool: Only thing is even with all auto syncs etc turned off, unless you physically turn off the APN (I use an app for it) the battery only lasts about a day (if lucky) on light useage for me!

iPhone tbh - I love my 4.

Brothers got the BB torch, apparently a competitor, and it's absolute garbage - freezes, 'sticky' transitions, cumbersome, and already feeling rather loose and he's only had it a couple of of months and is paying more for it over 2 years than I am!

Or you could save a fortune by not buying into Apples marketing hype and get an LG Optimus 2x dual core Android phone. Best phone I've ever owned.

I've had a Galaxy S since December and it's a fantastic piece of kit so I'd go for the S2 without hesitation :)

I'm glad I went to an Android device as its a fresh OS to get into. horses for courses though, they both do what they do very well.
QUOTE]

I like my Android phone and have also used my sons Iphone. Don't have any particular issues with either.

From some testing I am doing for my current job I can see what smart phones customers are using to connect to a new service we are providing.

It is approx 70% Apple and the remaning 30% is a mixture of other makes. Suprisingly HTC were only 10%.

Thank you all for your input. I guess the best advice I can take is go look at them for a play!

Thank you all for your input. I guess the best advice I can take is go look at them for a play!

That's often the best thing to do but it's not always a reliable guide; it can take a time to get the best from a phone. In the beginning, I really missed the keypad on my E71, not I find it so slow as I need to press every key harder.

Either an iPhone 4 or any of the recent Androids will be very good to use. Which to get depends on how much you like to fiddle under the bonnet as it were!

That's often the best thing to do but it's not always a reliable guide; it can take a time to get the best from a phone. In the beginning, I really missed the keypad on my E71, not I find it so slow as I need to press every key harder.

Either an iPhone 4 or any of the recent Androids will be very good to use. Which to get depends on how much you like to fiddle under the bonnet as it were!

This is true, its good to hear how people are getting on with there phones a few months down the line, as normally thats when the issues start to arise. So I do appreciate peoples comments.

A lot of people have had a good thing to say about the Samsung Galaxy S2, I do like the look of the HTC Sensation too and had a few friends praise them.

I not really bothered about fiddling if i'm honest, I just want something to work well. I want it browse the web, check my emails, text and make calls. Oh and for it not to spaz out on itself when it likes :LOL:

Have you ever used gsm arena thats a great site and you can compare 2 phones side by side too.

Thank you very much for that. I will take a look now :D

It depends on what you want to do with it. Nowadays, phones are gadgets which also happen to be able to make calls. They all make phone calls, it just depends on the other stuff you want to be able to do.

I have an iPhone 4. It's great but I hate iTunes and the whole syncing process. If you are thinking about getting an iPhone, I would wait for the iPhone 5. It's rumoured to be released in September.

I've used an iPhone 3gs before but tried the android on an HTC desire and never looked back. The iPhone is overrated in ky opinion. My HTC does everything the iPhone does and costs less. The iPhone is just too restrictive in my opinion.

ziggy©;3830776 said:
I've used an iPhone 3gs before but tried the android on an HTC desire and never looked back. The iPhone is overrated in ky opinion. My HTC does everything the iPhone does and costs less. The iPhone is just too restrictive in my opinion.

Flash.....ah haaaaaaaa

I've had a couple of HTC phones (Hero and Desire HD) before my iPhone 4.

I agree, Apple do restrict alot but I still prefer the iPhone. Its simple but brilliant. The app store also has far superior app's compared to the android Market but android is slowly catching up. The iPhone is also compatible with my car stereo and HiFi at home. It just suits my needs more than any other phone available.

My dad went from a Desire to a SGS2, amazing phone. But yeah, you won't know until you see them all in the flesh.

I've been using an Orange San Francisco since last September. It's a budget Android phone - cost me £80 on PAYG - and it's superb for the money. Unlocked and running it on GiffGaff I have actually made money over the past year, with referral income far outstripping my outlay for credit.

I have no real reason to replace it, especially with a negative annual running cost, but I keep checking out deals for the Samsung Galaxy S2. That's where my money would go if I had to make a decision today. Consider that Google chose Samsung over HTC, LG, Motorola etc. to make the Nexus S, and the Galaxy S2 is a step or two up from the Nexus S. If you want to get an indication of a phone from more than a spec sheet and written reviews then you'll find plenty of YouTube reviews.

HTC Desire is a great phone, just battery life is an issue at 12 months old.

Back