Photo added to dodgey flickr group

well I thought the chap doing the catching was serving the public well actually - he isn't hampered by stupid, liberal, tree-hugging namby-pambyism political correctness of the authorities. More power to his elbow - and if you need the trigger pulling I will happily do it....bleeding hearts and worms, pink and orange trouser wearers, the lot of them. I have no sympathy with them. Once you cross that line, you lose any rights you once had - so I am with you on the hard labour. Whether it is for JV or no, I like his programs - he manages to stir up the people who phone in. I liked JY before him too. :)

:agree:

If it's the same fella `catching` out the kiddy fiddlers, there was a TV programme on a couple of weeks ago about him (& his mates)
He probably doesn't have the lifestyle most of us would want, or even agree with, but he's doing the public and the authorities a favour......good on him!

The bloke on that program is an utter arse. Both of them (the bloke who's doing entrapment and Jezza Vine). People who think entrapment is a perfectly valid way of catching 'criminals' should be put to hard labour, because they're of no use in a job that requires a functioning brain.

And Jeremy Vine is the worst kind of tabloid journalist, any issue that demands any kind of reasoning is diminished to a strapline. I'd happily have him shot.

I've had a Flickr account years, but can't decide if there's any point in it at all.

Anyone that helps to catch these sicko's is not in my book an utter arse.

All these links now bring up a page saying he's no longer a member of Flickr, so looks like whatever you did worked.

Never saw the links.. not sure I want to.

None of the links worked for me, either, so it looks like he's been banned.

I had a similar incident a couple of weeks ago. I added a couple of photos to a group, then scrolled down and saw a picture of a girl of about 12 or 13 in the bath. Writing these words is bringing back the sickening feeling I felt. I reported it to the admins, (but I can't remember the sicko's name now, so can't tell if he's been banned), but the photo is not in the group any more. Needless to say, I removed my photos from that group, as it was obvious it wasn't watched by any of the groups admin, or not watched appropriately.
I feel ill, again. I also wish I could unsee, although I am sort-of glad I did, as it might not have been reported if I hadn't.
Glad I got to talk about it, though. :(

Because he's not getting them locked up. He's just 'catching' them using a method that's in admissible in court.

That's not true. After passing on all the info to the authorities (inc recorded phone calls, social media & private messages + filming them turning up for a `meeting`) prosecutions have followed.
(Also, sad as it is, one of these sicko's topped himself)
The authorities should offer the guy a job doing this!

Some years ago, I use to upload a lot of images of my dogs to Flickr. Some guy added me - then faved a photo. I might not have thought anything, only I looked at his faves and they were all dog's a.... rear ends. Blocked him, removed the photo, moved on.

That's not true. After passing on all the info to the authorities (inc recorded phone calls, social media & private messages + filming them turning up for a `meeting`) prosecutions have followed.
(Also, sad as it is, one of these sicko's topped himself)
The authorities should offer the guy a job doing this!
I'm rather dubious, entrapment is about the best 'get out of jail' defence there is.

I heard some if it on Jeremy vine (as posted earlier).
I watched it, and all but 2 got charged and convicted. As said earlier, one of them topped himself before it got to that stage.
So I don't see it as a waste of time.

I'm rather dubious, entrapment is about the best 'get out of jail' defence there is.

You are right to be dubious Phil. There have been cases where vigilantes have looked through the suspects phone and ruined the integrity of any potential evidence. Its cases like this that get thrown out of court as the prosecution team has no evidence to offer. CEOP and ACPO take a very dim view of it.

Mr Davies is legal advisor to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre (CEOP) and works with the Association of Chief Police Officers. He said the film gave an indication of the sheer scale of potential child sex offending. “The numbers are pretty terrifying,” he said. But a vigilante like Hunter “is not going to preserve evidence as well as the police”. - Source Independent.

Senior British police officer Jim Gamble, former chioef executive of CEOP, tells the film: “Some people with very low training have proven just how easy it is to go out there and catch individuals. Very quickly they are shooting fish in a barrel. The fact of the matter is this – that needs to be done by law enforcement.” - Source Independent.

That said, all police forces are woefully understaffed and underfunded to deal with the amount of report abuse which is a travesty.

PhilV, entrapment isn't a get out of Jail card and there are many circumstances where Police provide criminals with the opportunity to commit offences and secure a conviction. It is only entrapment if the Police encourage somebody to commit a criminal Act where ordinarily that person wouldnt do so.
Where a person is known to be regularly committing offences it is a well used method to use (with the appropriate authority) methods that the public may think of as entrapment but which are actually just providing the offender with the opportunity to offend.
For example when I was in the job we used trained 'Buyers' to purchase drugs from criminals and then take them off the street. We would also buy property from criminals and arrest them having done so.
Encouraging a criminal to commit another crime is not taken lightly though and is done under strict authority and process which is then put before the court.
Entrapment cannot be used as a defence in court proceedings. This is because the act of entrapment does not take away the intent to commit a guilty act from the accused. In this sense the entrapment has served its purpose in that a prohibited act was observed, the guilty party arrested and the guilty intent supposedly not manipulated, just the circumstances surrounding the guilty act.
It would be taken into account however if the actions of the police or other government agents acted contrary to the integrity of the criminal justice system, in which sense it is not for a defence lawyer to use but for a judge to ascertain and act accordingly.

Last edited:
Is there any known way to 'unsee' something :(

My old granny used to say, “Where do you go to throw a picture away.”

Rhodese.

ps, I think its the title of an old ballad.

I have to say that I was pleased to see that after this thread, the user was 'no longer a member'. I felt sickened at what to most people is a totally innocent photograph, he thought of it in another way. For me, the damage is done. I suppose it was a slap of reality for me now as to what I post online. I really thought better of people.

I loved that shot. And I loved to be able to share it with people. And now, I have to remove it.

Back