Photo Challenge 30 "Winter where I Live" Discusion Thread

Jao

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Dear fellow film shooters,

Given the time of year and wanting to maximise the opportunities for as many as folk as possible to take part in the challenge the theme this month is:
"Winter where I live"
We all know this is a fickle season so take and post an image that says something about winter in your location in the next month.

As usual the only rules are for the photo has to be taken on any format of film (it would be great to see some rarer format 110, 10x8) and it must be taken during the period that this challenge is open.

The challenge will run from today 30th January until Saturday the 1st March.Saturday the 15th March

So fire up your shutter assemblies, load your favourite emulsion in a format of your choosing, get your wellies, snow boots or espadrilles on (depending on your location) and capture an image that says something about the weather and your location!

Good luck, don't freeze, keep your fluids topped up and most of all have some honest to goodness film based fun!

Adrian
AKA Jao

Last edited:
Mannn I'm struggling to get the winter landscape for the POTY let alone trying to find two intersting, dreich, slate grey, tipping rain images!!

Having said that, one just this moment poped in to my head...

Reactions: Jao
Well it is 'winter where you live' so realism is the key I think. Mmm now which cameras have film in them?

Probably.

threads stickied, and I'm really, really, really going to try and shoot something for this one...

(warning... it may be somewhat "out of the box" rather than a straight landscape shot)

Last edited:
People living in Somerset should have some great shots, mind you newspaper camera men have covered nearly every angle ;)

I am glad the theme has sparked some interest! From my perspective the challenge is:

Do I shoot some frames this weekend of deep mud and vaste pools of water in the Norfolk widreness or do I wait a little longer and see if an icy grip arrives presenting frost and icicle shots in the the East Anglian landscace I call home? The better part of valour suggests I am to do both and pick the best by the time the end date arrives!

Emulsion, Format and camera are selected though!

Definitely shoot something now just in case we get a month of greyness. I know it's unlikely and we should get some Icy mornings but it's worth erring on the side of caution and getting a shot or two in the bag now.

Wise words Nick

Well @Andysnap has set the bar high with his "Winter where I live" challenge entry. Andy you have certainly hit the ground running with the Bronica GS1

Will a shot of an 18% grey card do or do I have to point the camera out of the window.

Might want to underexpose your card by at least a stop for that authentic British Winter.

Do we need to have posted the picture by the 1st March, or just have taken it by that date?

Ive got a couple of films with Peak at the moment, and shoud have them back by the weekend. Just wanted to check.

Cheers

Nick

In other words, can we have an extension mister? I hope so, I’ve got a roll to finish in the folder which should have the shot I'm looking for.

Mine are due back from t'darkroom tomorrow so I'll get mine up at the weekend.

I think given the absence of winter weather I am suggesting an extension of 14 days with the new submission date of 15th a March. Hope that's OK with folks:)

Last edited:
Can we change it to 'Weather' where I live? As winter hasn't made an appearance down here.

I'm not sure that I've seen a frost this year.

OK folks, challenge nearing its end, winter ( or weather) where you live. Get your entries in and I will put the poll up on Sunday. Assuming I can work out how to do it!

I have an entry for this challenge somewhere..................A roll that was shot and devd at the beginning of february.

Due to "life", I haven't had a second to get it scanned.

If I can find the negs, i'll scan and get an entry up before midnight saturday.

Finding them is gunna be a challenge in itself..............:help: :D

I have an entry for this challenge somewhere..................A roll that was shot and devd at the beginning of february.

Due to "life", I haven't had a second to get it scanned.

If I can find the negs, i'll scan and get an entry up before midnight saturday.

Finding them is gunna be a challenge in itself..............:help: :D
Make sure you do Asha, a challenge isn't complete without one of your slightly out of focus, wonky horizon beautiful shots from the south of France (y)

Make sure you do Asha, a challenge isn't complete without one of your slightly out of focus, wonky horizon beautiful shots from the south of France (y)

What do you mean, OOF and wonky ...I'll have you know that my entry is not cropped or levelled ...gotta be a first for me!! lol

Sharpened a tad ...yeah ok but hey I can't get level and sharp in the same image! :D

OK Folks, the poll is up (I think!!) , so cast your votes

No sign of a poll here Adrian, perhaps it takes a while to travel this far! :D

Duh, OK it's sunday morning....I've found the poll, now that i've woke up a bit!!! :sleep::confused:

Well we have a winner!

Well done @RaglanSurf , a beautiful shot and well deserved. The images submitted really do illustrate the strange and varied winter we have all had I think!

Over to you Nick for Photo Challenge 31

Thanks Adrian and also to the TP'ers that voted for my shot (y) In case anyone is interested this would have been my POTY entry if it hadn't been for my administrative cock-up.

I have an idea for the next challenge, give me a couple of minutes and I'll try and get it posted before I go out today,

Well done Nick.

In case anyone is interested this would have been my POTY entry if it hadn't been for my administrative cock-up.

I did wonder why this wasn't your POTY entry.

Well done mate, a really lovely shot

Well done, Nick, excellent shot and the one I was going to vote for if I'd been able to find the polling thread (sorry about that :oops: :$).

Well done Nick, lovely colours in your shot. .......coming in as runner up saved me having to think up the next theme! :D

Thanks folks, much appreciated (y)

Back