Photography Copyright Infringement

Good result and hopefully a lesson learned!

great result - well done - ALWAYS worth invoicing! :clap:

Fantastic news. Congrats on getting a great result! I'm going to start browsing random university websites just in case... :)

Wow congrats on getting what was rightfully yours!
Issue remains that they/someone stole it in the first place. No wonder so many people watermark.
Don't know your situation but make sure you register that sum with the taxman :)

Well Done. Good result.
Any chance you can post details of the letter you used (with obvious details removed/blanked). obviously works, and may be ueful to others

Guys what can i say but a big thank you for all the comments :)

I'm the leaving to go to the pub now lol (I was going to lie and say the bank or something but thought nahhhh :D)

Ill drop the letter for others to see what i wrote, of course cutting out the names etc, so you can see what has been wrote.

But i think the definite idea is be very firm and don't choose a cheep price, choose a realistic commercial price, but the most expensive you can find, then they have nothing that they can complain about and only pay up :)

Many thanks again
Ian

It is nice they have handled it so promptly and professionally. It's a great shot - enjoy the money. :)

Result !

and remember in the invoice to say that it only covers up until now, offer them another fee for a licence to use it on their site from now on? For more cash? :p

unless its been taken off the site already.

wow, what a result!! bet you are pleased about that!

(as an aside, how did you achieve the result of the picture? I can't figure it out!)

Nice result for you, but I note they're using version control on their website (which is a good idea). If they're following procedures correctly they can tell who added the picture. Assuming they still work there, I have visions of SAS pointing the finger "You're Fired!" The only response they'd have would be "fair cop guv". Oops.

So sorry for disappearing guys, but my telephone and Internet died, but as I was going to be working away for 2 weeks, I thought i would just get BT to fix it when i got back, which they did the same afternoon i called them, very impressive.
Well Done. Good result.

Any chance you can post details of the letter you used (with obvious details removed/blanked). obviously works, and may be useful to others

I have put a link below to the PDF that i emailed and sent through the post recorded delivery. I also included an invoice for the same amount.

http://www.newworlddesigns.co.uk/temp/copyright-infingement/Tyne_bridge_image_violation.pdf

They replied a few days later
Dear Mr Wright
I acknowledge receipt of your communication and invoice, and apologise for using the photograph without your permission. However, the photograph was not used until 27th November 2006 when the web page was created, and was made live through subversion on 2007-01-26 10:50:58 +0100 Ref r515.

If you would please revise your invoice to show useage of 131 weeks @ £19.230 per week (£2,519.13) we will arrange for this to be processed through the University finance system to be paid immediately.

Yours sincerely

Mr XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Institute Manager
I agreed and amended the invoice accordingly, as I'm trying to be realistic with them.

But just to make things better, today is my birthday, and i received in amongst the birthday cards, a letter from Newcastle University with a remittance advise slip, dated 3 days ago saying it was transferred that day. So i called my bank and there it was, it went in last night

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! is all i can say :D.

Also
I have no problem in now showing who it was that took my image, as i have had 4 people contact me from this forum (without knowing who it was i was dealing with) saying that the same university used thier images without permission.

There is no difference in the media reporting that Mr X has been questioned or arrested for a said crime, and this, I'm just reporting facts, not giving my opinion.

I hope this will help other photographers get what they deserve.

Good result

How did you find out they had your photo in the first place?

http://tineye.com/ ;)

Regards
Ian

What a jolly good outcome :D

I do fear that someone at that Uni is going to get a severe bottyspanking for nicking your image (and the others)

What a jolly good outcome :D

I do fear that someone at that Uni is going to get a severe bottyspanking for nicking your image (and the others)

Yep about a 2.5k worth of bottyspanking! (and thats a LOT)

Good outcome and Happy Birthday!

My Uncle had retired from the staff there, and died last year, but I would've liked to have got him to stir things up.

Woohoo!!!! How can I get them to illegally use one of my pictures :)

That is a seriously good result, well done absolutely well done !!!

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Excellent result, well done.

I'm always last to know on resources such as this (and it may already have been mentioned), but this site can give you an outline on how long a certain web page or photograph as been used for. Its called waybackmachine: http://www.archive.org/index.php

Well done on the result.
I currently have a TV company using my images on their website. Offered with my permission, provided they acknowledged the source.
Nothing to credit us so far and I'm hoping a nudge with an invoice will do the trick. :)

Back