Tutorial Photography Guide: Star Trails

Excellent, thanks Matt. I'm on holiday this week so fingers crossed for clear skies.

Simon

Here we are, first try at it and I'm glad I have something to show after an eventful night.

9497631893_7cb83a8368_z.jpg

You should really put a disclaimer in the tutorial Matt, I became adamant in my mind that zombies existed and were lurking in the fields around East Midlands, dark country lanes by yourself in the middle of the night can lead to bouts of madness. :wacky:

Here we are, first try at it and I'm glad I have something to show after an eventful night.

You should really put a disclaimer in the tutorial Matt, I became adamant in my mind that zombies existed and were lurking in the fields around East Midlands, dark country lanes by yourself in the middle of the night can lead to bouts of madness. :wacky:

That's a fine first effort mate, looks like there was a little bit of a knock to the camera mid was through but other than that a fine effort (y) might just add that disclaimer :D

I plan to try this next week when I'm camping in a sheep feild outside Bideford in Devon. May have a practice before in the garden to make sure I know what I'm doing

I plan to try this next week when I'm camping in a sheep feild outside Bideford in Devon. May have a practice before in the garden to make sure I know what I'm doing

Wonderful...be sure to give me a shout if you've any questions or problems (y)

That's a fine first effort mate, looks like there was a little bit of a knock to the camera mid was through but other than that a fine effort (y) might just add that disclaimer :D

I did knock the tripod slightly when I got startled by Fred the horse making a noise, I didn't realise he was a few meters away despite already being there for a while.

I did knock the tripod slightly when I got startled by Fred the horse making a noise, I didn't realise he was a few meters away despite already being there for a while.

Oh Fred was playing tricks on you :)

Oh Fred was playing tricks on you :)

It's a bit worrying when you've already persuaded yourself that zombies exist when you think you're alone, to then hear a noise and see something large moving in the shadows behind a tree.

Is there any way to combat condensation on a lens? I noticed quite a build up once my shots were finished.

It's a bit worrying when you've already persuaded yourself that zombies exist when you think you're alone, to then hear a noise and see something large moving in the shadows behind a tree.

Is there any way to combat condensation on a lens? I noticed quite a build up once my shots were finished.

It's a real PITA there are various theory's I try and get my camera and lens acclimatised, try and have a breeze over it and stay down wind of the camera...but sometimes nothing I do seems to do anything for the situation :( others have rigged up little fans even hand warmers round the lens

It's a real PITA there are various theory's I try and get my camera and lens acclimatised, try and have a breeze over it and stay down wind of the camera...but sometimes nothing I do seems to do anything for the situation :( others have rigged up little fans even hand warmers round the lens

Looks like ill need to do some googling and experimenting, luckily the condensation didn't affect any shots as far as I can tell, there again I didn't notice it till I was packing up so for all I know my breath could of caused it whilst I was packing up.

Found this website whilst rummaging around the net, is this equipment any good for someone starting out, bearing in mind already have the camera, tripod and long lens.

http://www.astrotrac.com/Default.aspx?p=tt320x-ag

It does look good but I suspect that there would be a serious amount of trial and error I'm getting it set up as it says its unguided....I'll be honest and say its not an area of photography that I have enough experience to give an accurate and honest answer so you would probably be better off starting a thread asking about its suitability (y)

this is my second attemp next time it will be up the mountain where there very little light pollution.

this is 51 shots 30sec exposures iso1250 f/5.0

this was a spur of the moment shot just to test the lens

Startrails1 (2) by bledd125, on Flickr

bleddyn

cheers matt and thanks for a great tutorial on this subject its realy helpfull hopefully we will have a clear sky tonight.

bleddyn

cheers matt and thanks for a great tutorial on this subject its realy helpfull hopefully we will have a clear sky tonight.

bleddyn

Your more than welcome it was being unable to find a easy to understand guide that caused me to write this up after learning myself :), I hope you get clear skies :)

this reply is brill had a good old chuckle to myself:)

excellent
this is the type of photography that made me go buy a camera and i cant wait to actually get out and try it

excellent
this is the type of photography that made me go buy a camera and i cant wait to actually get out and try it

Fantastic, it's a wonderful genre hence why I do so much of it, if your in need of any help please don't hesitate to ask (y)

thanks matthew

no doubt once i am able to get out and have a go i will have plenty of questions to keep you busy :)

mat

some awesome stuff here, really makes me want to go out and try. Ideally need to find some company to take with me, not particularly fond of standing out for hours at a time on my own.

some awesome stuff here, really makes me want to go out and try. Ideally need to find some company to take with me, not particularly fond of standing out for hours at a time on my own.

This is the core non photography issue, I always recommend company as otherwise you go mad :eek: plus it will make the time pass so much quicker having someone to talk to

You could always put a post up in the subsection of the forum for meeting up with others, just don't forget to add a location!

You could always put a post up in the subsection of the forum for meeting up with others, just don't forget to add a location!

Indeed this is always an option, I have in the past organised a star trail meet but I'll be honest it really was stressful as you cannot set a date, it's a case of watching the weather and sending emails and texts to alert people of a meet realistically with a maximum of 48hrs notice :(

this is simply brilliant !!! I am really hoping for clear skies this weekend so I can use this advices !!!

Well be sure to post your results (y) I'm glad you found the guide useful (y)

sure I will - of course if skies is clear (in Aberdeen very rarely !)

Ah but up that way you even get to see the northern lights occasionally :) I'm sure you'll get a nice clear night soon enough

Great guide will have to give it ago soon :) Out of interest what software/process do you recommend for stacking the images together :)?

Well by and far and away the easiest way to do the stacking is to download the freeware StarStaX is a brilliant piece of software, which is exceptionally easy to use...plus is cross platform where as the original Startrails was and I believe still is a windows only software...also frankly StarStaX processes the stacking faster and renders a much nicer image

Well by and far and away the easiest way to do the stacking is to download the freeware StarStaX is a brilliant piece of software, which is exceptionally easy to use...plus is cross platform where as the original Startrails was and I believe still is a windows only software...also frankly StarStaX processes the stacking faster and renders a much nicer image

Thanks for that :) Just downloaded the software and looks really good, will have to get out and get some shots to test it soon (y)

Thanks for that :) Just downloaded the software and looks really good, will have to get out and get some shots to test it soon (y)

Great (y) be sure to post your results up (y) FYI if perchance it's clear in your part of the world there supposed to be a spectacular meteor show over this weekend, the same settings for star trails will also work for catching them (y) naturally though as this celestial fireworks display is supposed to be stunning its absolutely hissing it down here :thumbsdown:

@MWHCVT matt do you ever stack in photoshop? I've a tarted stacking mine manually and the results are nicer than starstax :)

I have, but not in a long time, I don't particularly enjoy editing in photoshop as its still a bit of a brain ache to me, plus it was always on my old computer that truth be told couldn't really cope, I've been meaning to have another play with it since building my computer but not really had the inclination...honestly thought at least for those just starting out StarStaX is IMO the best solution (y)

Great (y) be sure to post your results up (y) FYI if perchance it's clear in your part of the world there supposed to be a spectacular meteor show over this weekend, the same settings for star trails will also work for catching them (y) naturally though as this celestial fireworks display is supposed to be stunning its absolutely hissing it down here (n)

Looking at the weather It looks to be a clear night tomorrow so I shall head out, I have in mind a old rusty tractor on a field to use as a foreground so will have to give it ago tomorrow and will share my results (y)

Back