photos relating to my "how long have you all been into photography" thread

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No

rectified now :)

I can see em, Looking through the shots I think that many of them could have been improved by using a different viewing angle, certainly the ones of the burnt out car, maybe lie on the ground shooting up with a wideangle lens. or some close up of detail, Just my thoughts on it.

Just add the IMG tags Tel as in my PM to you. I've done the first one. :)

:wave: so does anyone else have any opinions on these photos,ie what would you have done different, how could i improve these, and what would be the best way forward, i would really like some feedback please guys.

cheers (y)

Technically there's not a great deal wrong with any of those Tel, in fact they're well exposed in the main. No 5 is a bit light, and there seem to be variances in white balance between some of your shots of the burned out car?

As for the burned out skies you mentioned elsewhere, that appears to be due to the grey featureless skies which we get far too many of in this country. You can't put detail into a sky which isn't there in the first instance. All you can really do is use a neutral denser graduated filter which prevents the sky over-exposing, although another option is to take two exposures,one metered for the sky, one metered for the foreground, and combine the two shots in editing. Shooting in RAW format will give you the greatest control over the luminance range in your shots.

I like the last shot of the horses. Didn't you see those plastic bottles which are marring the shot? ;)

Generally agree technically the photos are OK.
What I personally feel is that the photos lack any sort of real oomph primarily becasue they tend to lack any real focal point. The one of the tall tree has a really strong vertical structure which unfortunatly has not been brought out. Again the two geese is potentially a very good composition, but lost becasue of the distractions around it.
I often feel that photos that work best are those where your eye is drawn to one point and then compelled to move across the picture due to the pictures composition. I feel in many of your pictures there is too much going on and causing distraction. The burnt out car is potentially a really good subject, but there is poor differentiation between the main subject and the background. As noted already careful thought to veiwing angle is needed. (I actually work in B&W and its tends to be a lot easier to achieve these things without the distraction of colour!)
You might want to give a bit of thought to the "Golden Sections" -those wonderful rules of compostion that do actually work. In landscapes this is primarily the rule of thirds.
Lighting in the majority of the shots is also not good -personally again myself I doubt very much if my camera would have come out in such over cast conditions. Remeber the best times to take pictures is quite often first thing in the morning!
Hope this helps. (y)

Think I'd agree with most of the above comments, particularly the one from CT about the plastic bottles. For my part what I'm slowly teaching myself to do is not just take a picture but to stop, look at the viewfinder and think about the framing and whats in it. I will even put the camera down and look at the scene again before picking the camera up again. I find this a far more deliberate way of taking a picture, forcing myself to 'think' about framing, lighting, focus and the dozen other variables that can contribute towards a good shot :)

Only pics 3-4 have potential, just needed a bit more thought in their composition. The rest are just snaps. Sorry if thats a bit short.

Back