'Photoshoot' - 14th March 2009.

Edit My Images
Yes
Today I managed to get out and shoot some natural light portraits with a model named Charlotte. First up, so as to not shock you too much, these were taken on my newly aquired 5D Mark 2. After much deliberation I have decided that the Mark II is the right camera for me and am delighted to own one again. Enough about that.

Todays shoot was an absolute joy. The model, charlotte has been described as bohemian in the least and is as far removed from glamour as one could imagine. Her stark beauty is incredible and her wispy hair coupled with lovely blue eyes could only really offer me up decent images. By her own admittance, her skin is far from perfect, but as a photographer I think that kind of makes her look unique. She has a real Sissy Spacek feel and all of the Carrie jokes were despensed of rather quickly. My first shoot was in room with two large corner windows acting as soft boxes. I shot these at 50mm (the nifty fifty) a borrowed lens and had to get in tight and ideally an 85mm lens would have been ideal as this is my favourite portrait length by a long chalk. Still, the pictures look great. Usual routine applied, shooting slightly from above for flattering shapes and perspective. A reflector was used to add some fill. All of these images were processed in Canons wonderful DPP software and cut to size in CS4 - a potent combo if you ask me!

3353799145_cef9ce9c22.jpg

3354610804_aaa85d4a57.jpg

We then shot a few frames outside where I over exposed the highlights by a large amount, knowing that I could dial in the shadows later and give the images a nice pop without over egging the pudding. The wind helped create some drama with her hair here which was nice.

3354614024_9cb0c61c0e.jpg

3354615048_7c759dd68d.jpg

After this I then positioned the model in the apex of a room so that I had two windows at the front/side, with a door way behind her left shoulder and again over exposed a lot to loose the highlights, but create and ethereal glow for the image and light the hair/side of the head. I may re-edit this and add a diffuse glow for a test as I think the current images looks a tad harsh.

3354612384_1f95f0b094.jpg

Once the natural work was 'wrapped' I then shot a couple of studio type frames and went for low key to add drama and bring out the lovely tone in the hair. Note on the sq. crop that I left the bra strap in. I like it, it works. It is not high fashion and is in keeping with the days shoot which was a complete success. Second shot has a snooted back drop which I lost as did not like it.

3353809905_15f34c6a96.jpg

3353805823_a8f3c6652f.jpg

I enjoyed every second of todays photoshoot and reminds me that the photos we seek are everywhere around us - after all, natural light does not cost a penny!

As Ferris Buller once wisely said "If we don't stop and look around once in a while, we might miss it..."

Thanks for taking time out to read this, it means a lot. Hope someone can take something from this. I am starting to feel back on form after my early 2009 dip and look forward to many more shoots over the coming months. Another thing to note, I was out watching Damien Lovegrove work the other day and you know what? The one thing he said that really made me think about photography and subjective opinions is that if you like it, it works. Simple as that....

Last edited:
Hi, it looks as though you are getting your Mojo back :LOL:

Really liking these and enjoyed the narrative as well. You were lucky to have such an interesting and natural model to work with (y)

I particularly like the natural lighting in #1

Keep 'em coming!!!

Cheers,

Alan

Hi, it looks as though you are getting your Mojo back :LOL:

Really liking these and enjoyed the narrative as well. You were lucky to have such an interesting and natural model to work with (y)

I particularly like the natural lighting in #1

Keep 'em coming!!!

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan, it comes and goes but usually comes back!!! :LOL::wacky:

glad to see the urge return..nice work i particularly like natural lightshots but also the one with the cup is fab.

Great to see more of your work & read your enlightening comments. New camera is an intersting choice. (just bought a D200 which should arrive monday - look forward to experimenting with it!).
The outdoor shots (3 & 4) are far and away the best of this selection in my humble opinion... although I'm no expert ('novice' would be more accurate!!).
Your model looks so attractive on the last photo though - must've been a joy to work with.

Glad you're posting again DG - a break for whatever reason often leads to us coming back with renewed enthusiasm.

Steve.

Last edited:
Canon - Nikon - Canon - Nikon - Canon...

Its so confusing !

I really like the second photo, although if I could alter one think it would be to rotate the cup so the handle is vertical. Your model has great eyes.

As you said in a round about kind of way, she is not what you might think of a classical beauty and certainly the fashion industry would indulge in a lot of 'shoppin on her basic looks, but I think you have got something there Pete. I have to be totally honest and say that I don't think the shots are as flattering as they could be even 'au natural', as you say one is a tad harsh, and the second outdoor shot for me loses something by her hair across her face, but definately getting there, very much so, but whoa...oh those eyes! Every shot just pulls you into her incredible eyes [I am a woman, I would kill for eyes like those]. Keep at it Pete, your mojo is definately clambering back into the limelght (y)

oh, can I make one small crit.... on the second last shot she seems to have a spot on her right [left as you lok at it] cheek, towards here chin, that doesnt appear on any of the others - always edit spos from all of them :LOL: ;)

As you said in a round about kind of way, she is not what you might think of a classical beauty and certainly the fashion industry would indulge in a lot of 'shoppin on her basic looks, but I think you have got something there Pete. I have to be totally honest and say that I don't think the shots are as flattering as they could be even 'au natural', as you say one is a tad harsh, and the second outdoor shot for me loses something by her hair across her face, but definately getting there, very much so, but whoa...oh those eyes! Every shot just pulls you into her incredible eyes [I am a woman, I would kill for eyes like those]. Keep at it Pete, your mojo is definately clambering back into the limelght (y)

oh, can I make one small crit.... on the second last shot she seems to have a spot on her right [left as you lok at it] cheek, towards here chin, that doesnt appear on any of the others - always edit spos from all of them :LOL: ;)

Yeah well spotted - I am one lazy PP'er. I think she looks great and it is probably the DSLR that has altered her if that makes sense? The core beauty is there and I would presume that if she persued a career as model then she would learn - assuming that it is like Next Top model on TV ?

I whacked this one through LR....which I have begun to hate.

3354068753_8fcb63fdf0.jpg

I dont mind the hair, but after coming back to these ( 3 & 4) after a coffee break, they look a tad undersaturated now so may PP them again. Oh the beauty of raw eh?

Last edited:
Hi Pete: What aren't you happy with in LR? These look good by the way...Pale skin, blue eyes, red hair, lovely smile....great. The outside ones do it for me.

Hi Pete: What aren't you happy with in LR? These look good by the way...Pale skin, blue eyes, red hair, lovely smile....great. The outside ones do it for me.

Hi mate, well, as my photography was always vanilla (sport) I find that LR can allow me and of course others to over cook the images though I do realise it is a potent tool and it seems to create massive amounts of duplicates all over the place!

Thanks for the comment.(y)

Hi mate, well, as my photography was always vanilla (sport) I find that LR can allow me and of course others to over cook the images though I do realise it is a potent tool and it seems to create massive amounts of duplicates all over the place!

Thanks for the comment.(y)

Only if you let it Pete. Don't allow it to create new copies for catalogs. It's no worse or better than Aperture in this regard.

If you've got any number of raw images to work through DPP and Capture NX are a nightmare.

That said, I'm not keen on the LR processed one there.

Hi m8

Canon again eh? :LOL:

For me, the one holding the cup has a massive intense connection with her gorgeous eyes, so that's my fav

The last square one is what I see as a common problem with vest-type clothing or long hair. Effectively you've got 3 images there. 2 are shots of shoulders, the 3rd is a great 'portrait' mode shot of a face framed by flowing locks. All the shoulders are doing is adding 'weight' to both the image and the model, making her look much wider than is ideal. Just 'cropping' the shoulders off with my hands onscreen really improves that shot for me

But as DL says - each to their own eh

Always nice to see your work, keep it up (y)

DD

Hi m8

Canon again eh? :LOL:

For me, the one holding the cup has a massive intense connection with her gorgeous eyes, so that's my fav

The last square one is what I see as a common problem with vest-type clothing or long hair. Effectively you've got 3 images there. 2 are shots of shoulders, the 3rd is a great 'portrait' mode shot of a face framed by flowing locks. All the shoulders are doing is adding 'weight' to both the image and the model, making her look much wider than is ideal. Just 'cropping' the shoulders off with my hands onscreen really improves that shot for me

But as DL says - each to their own eh

Always nice to see your work, keep it up (y)

DD

Yes, the fruits of stopping anti depressant medication on a whim. Feel better now and back on track really.

Thanks for the tip, will think about that next time. Nice one. (y)

Yes, the fruits of stopping anti depressant medication on a whim. Feel better now and back on track really.

Thanks for the tip, will think about that next time. Nice one. (y)

There was a long and very frank thread about depression and how it affected so many on here (you included), I read it all but didn't really know how to respond at all :(

I've had some incredibly rough times over the years (close personal death, near bankruptcy, 'friends' playing dirty tricks, health issues), but never suffered clinical depression so couldn't really even empathise properly

Glad you're on the up then, long may it continue (y)

DD

There was a long and very frank thread about depression and how it affected so many on here (you included), I read it all but didn't really know how to respond at all :(

I've had some incredibly rough times over the years (close personal death, near bankruptcy, 'friends' playing dirty tricks, health issues), but never suffered clinical depression so couldn't really even empathise properly

Glad you're on the up then, long may it continue (y)

DD

Thanks Dave. Its tough, but my good looks get me through it :D

Just re-edited that shot. Any thoughts. Pushed it through LR - added the punch preset, lifted the exposure a tad. Just looks a great photo -

3357545408_170151178b.jpg

Great shots, love the second one, the model has fantastic colouring,and striking looks, I love the light in the natural shots.

Your very last edit is brilliant, you are very talented :)

Black and white suits that far better. Generally I like them but larger versions wouldn't go amiss, they look as if you need to see the detail in the eyes and the cheeks.

Reprocessed this one and went for a duotone feel. Happy now and going for the A3 print!

3356873433_b6837bb0c3.jpg

I like this edit, to be honest im not overly keen on the rest. I think its because you are one of my favourite photographers on here and these are a bit boring for me :(

In a few I can see too much detail in the skin, just reduce the clarity a bit and it will make things alot smoother, just not too much because it will start to look fake. Maybe -20-30.

Back