Photoshop CC - Do I need the full version?

Name
Jayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, a little advice needed please....! I'm a student, in my first year of a Photography Degree so qualify for the full package at 60% discount, but I'm trying to work out whether it's worth paying the extra from the basic monthly package they're offering. I've previously had CS6 installed, but not kosher :oops: :$, and I've lost that now :(. I'm currently using an ancient desktop, and a decent laptop, both on Windows 7, but am considering upgrading the desktop to a Mac, as that's what we're using in Uni. I'm a technophobe, so don't use iphones, ipads etc - but that could change if necessary....!

Basically, I don't understand the terminology that Adobe are using to sell the full package, so don't know if I'll get the use out of the package to justify it. Or maybe I will need the Cloud storage to be able to work on images from both home and Uni?

Any input really appreciated because just now I'm going round and round in circles :runaway:

I have the monthly package which includes photoshop and lightroom. Costs about £9 a month. I don't use photoshop on all my images but its nice to have. I would have thought it was pretty critical if you were studying photography, but I never studied it so could be wrong. High pass sharpening and spot healing are worth £9 a month by themselves if you ask me :)

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

Thanks both! I agree, I need photoshop..... but do I 'need' the full package, which I can get at 60% discount for about £15 a month, or will the lower cost package suit my needs? If it was just faffing about, as I've been doing 'til now I know the cheaper package would suffice, but I really don't understand the terminology of the 'benefits' for the upgraded version, so can't make an informed decision :thinking:

I would suggest just getting the photography package at under £9 per month. You get LR and PS - you shouldn't need anything else for photography. Don't know if they do a student discount on that, but even if they don't it's still cheaper than the full package discounted.

Thanks both! I agree, I need photoshop..... but do I 'need' the full package, which I can get at 60% discount for about £15 a month, or will the lower cost package suit my needs? If it was just faffing about, as I've been doing 'til now I know the cheaper package would suffice, but I really don't understand the terminology of the 'benefits' for the upgraded version, so can't make an informed decision :thinking:

I'd say just the lightroom / Photoshop package at £8.XX a month. Anything else would be overkill in my opinion.

The full package would be an overkill. Many of the applications included are for design, web design and that sort of thing.
You only need photoshop and Lightroom for photography, so best to go for the £9/month package. You also won't have to worry about that jumping up to £50 when you stop being a student.

If you don't do a lot of editing and you can't afford the monthly payments then you can get away with photoshop elements, which is a cheap one-off payment.
Elements Plus adds back a fair bit of the missing PS functionality.

Alternatively Lightroom is still available for a one-off fee, and it integrates well with PSE.

You'll probably find that you upgrade to the £9/month package eventually, though.

I distinctly remember writing 'Decision made. thanks everyone!' , it seems it hadn't posted :oops: :$ How rude of me, Sorry!

Back