Photoshop Elements 8 WARNING

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Warning about Photoshop Elements 8, this product is only licenced for 2 computers if purchased as a retail product. There is absolutely NO indication on the box about this.

Elements 7 is completely different and has no such limitation but can't be used on the new window7 version

Realspeed

Thats interesting as I have just ordered a copy of Elements 7 there was a price advantage rather than buying 8
This is to replace Elements 3 (I am always behind)
I also have CS2 so I am behind there as well

ive still got and use Elements 2, revisions after that did away with the browse feature, ive installed it on dozens of computers running XP

That seems fair enough to me, 2 computers is a lot more generous than a lot of other software...

ive got elements 6 only allowed to download three(3) times read the limitations on the t,s and c,s :cautious:

The point with this is (it was me that bought it) that there is absolutely NO way I can tell that it is to be used on 2 computers only. There is nothing at all that indicates that on the box. Yes it does say you can read T&C online, so do I have to go back home read the terms then come back to the shop STILL NOT knowing which "license" is contained within the box on the shelf? It doesnt say. Adobe said take it back and ask for one with a license for 4 computers! Oh yeah, PC World will say of course you can, you've used it on two and its useless now, have another one to use on 4!!! Llike hell! £80 for 2 computers is wrong!n If there is nothing on the box that says how many computers it can be used on, how can I know which one to buy?

That seems fair enough to me, 2 computers is a lot more generous than a lot of other software...

:plus1:

try doing more than one computer with windows :bonk: :bonk:

C.Baby

How many families now have more than 2 computers? most have a desktop and laptop, what about other family members? partner/children etc, they have computers as well.

Realspeed

Most other software I'd say, try buying windows and installing it on even two computers.

oops! :bonk:

I think an OS is a little different to a software program though.

depends on the EULA :)

Even then, if the box, which is the ONLY thing you have access to when you buy retail in a shop, how could you possibly know? thats my point, you cant.

Even then, if the box, which is the ONLY thing you have access to when you buy retail in a shop, how could you possibly know? thats my point, you cant.

Most people don't expect unlimited licences on software these days without paying for it.

2 installs is quite common although usually, you are only supposed to use 1 at a time, i.e. Desktop PC plus laptop when you are away from PC.

Warning about Photoshop Elements 8, this product is only licenced for 2 computers if purchased as a retail product. There is absolutely NO indication on the box about this.

Elements 7 is completely different and has no such limitation but can't be used on the new window7 version

Realspeed
is this one of those that also catch you out if you install it on one pc and then it dies and you have already installed it on your kids or wifes laptop - when you come to install it on yours it will not work and you have to make one of those stupid calls to someone like India and have to explain why and spell your name out like you do with Microsoft...???

is this one of those that also catch you out if you install it on one pc and then it dies and you have already installed it on your kids or wifes laptop - when you come to install it on yours it will not work and you have to make one of those stupid calls to someone like India and have to explain why and spell your name out like you do with Microsoft...???

Oh yes that the same type alright!:bang:

Most people don't expect unlimited licences on software these days without paying for it.

2 installs is quite common although usually, you are only supposed to use 1 at a time, i.e. Desktop PC plus laptop when you are away from PC.

I have no problem with that, but it should be clearly marked on the box. You have NO way of knowing what you are buying.

C.Baby

How many families now have more than 2 computers? most have a desktop and laptop, what about other family members? partner/children etc, they have computers as well.

Realspeed

As above, it's the same as Windows/OS X/Office if you want to install on more than one computer you buy a family pack, which costs more.

I do agree that it is wrong for it not to say on the box, but to be honest if it wasn't specified on the box I'd assume it's one, and be pleasantly surprised if I could install on more than one.

assume its one copy unless otherwise stated.

I "assumed" like with the previous edition, that it was for as many as I liked, there SHOULD of been notice of otherwise. Thats £40 per computer!! Bloody rip off! Only bought id cos Windows 7 wouldnt work with Elements 7, got you there havent they, Adobe!:thumbsdown:

Ahhh the beauty of freedom of choice.,,you see, no-one is forcing you to use Adobe's software. If you do not wish to pay their fee, use other software...which will also be licensed for one or maybe two systems...and it also might not say clearly on the box.

Or how about treating yourself to a really nice printer or scanner? In which case you get an absolutely free copy of Elements 6...dunno how many systems you can install it on...I assume one.

Remember that, in buying a box with an Adobe disc in it, you are not buying the software, merely a license to use it...from this it should flow naturally that you cannot do with it as you please.

Yes, I understand that you could not read Elements 8's EULA before you bought it but knowing the trends of certain brands of software will make you more informed.

I also still work very happily with CS2 (because I am stingy and do not wish to spend all that money if I am only using 30% of the software due to my own inability...) and it is also limited to two pc's BUT with a further proviso that both copies may not be used simultaneosly.

So it did not state a number on the box...ever read EULA's? Sure, no person with a life ever does but try it on occasion.

It might just prevent a repeat of this unfortunate incident

Ahhh the beauty of freedom of choice.,,you see, no-one is forcing you to use Adobe's software. If you do not wish to pay their fee, use other software...which will also be licensed for one or maybe two systems...and it also might not say clearly on the box.

Or how about treating yourself to a really nice printer or scanner? In which case you get an absolutely free copy of Elements 6...dunno how many systems you can install it on...I assume one.

Remember that, in buying a box with an Adobe disc in it, you are not buying the software, merely a license to use it...from this it should flow naturally that you cannot do with it as you please.

Yes, I understand that you could not read Elements 8's EULA before you bought it but knowing the trends of certain brands of software will make you more informed.

I also still work very happily with CS2 (because I am stingy and do not wish to spend all that money if I am only using 30% of the software due to my own inability...) and it is also limited to two pc's BUT with a further proviso that both copies may not be used simultaneosly.

So it did not state a number on the box...ever read EULA's? Sure, no person with a life ever does but try it on occasion.

It might just prevent a repeat of this unfortunate incident
You are not grasping the point. The point IS, if I wanted one to work on 2 computers I would buy one, if I wanted one to work on 4, Id buy one, the problem is there is NO way I can know!

Do you not realise that previous editions of Elements do not work on Windows 7? Well they dont, so what should I do? The packages should be clearly labelled so purchasers know what they are buying. Obviously Adobe do different amounts in their software, otherwise on the phone they wouldnt of suggested the ridiculous thing of returning it and asking for another for 4 computers, even though they said you cant tell how many its for from looking at the box! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Or how about treating yourself to a really nice printer or scanner? In which case you get an absolutely free copy of Elements 6...dunno how many systems you can install it on...I assume one
See above, doesnt work on Windows 7, DID say that to begin with!

Who said I wanted to, again you miss the point, please read the posts! I have no problem with their licenses, Id like to be aware of what Im buying though!

Previous versions of elements do work on windows7, what makes you think they don't?

I "assumed" like with the previous edition, that it was for as many as I liked, there SHOULD of been notice of otherwise. Thats £40 per computer!! Bloody rip off! Only bought id cos Windows 7 wouldnt work with Elements 7, got you there havent they, Adobe!:thumbsdown:

you buy 1 retail box, common sense dictates that you can only install it on 1 computer.. pretty much 100% of software works this way.

im not sure what the big issue is here.. :shrug:

regarding older versions not running in W7, has anyone tried compatibility modes?

Actually I think Dawn is being somewhat naive about licensing. What does it say in the EULA of the previous version of Elements about installing on multiple computers?

You can download and read the EULA's of all Adobes current and some past products on their website, so it is available to read prior to purchase.

Photoshop Elements 7 says "Primary User may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer, or a computer located at his or her home, provided the software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer." Section 2.4 refers.

Whilst you may be able to install on more computers, technically you are breaking the terms you agreed to abide by when purchasing permission to use the software.

They obviously have tightened up the regulations because of people like Dawn taking liberties, by introducing a stiffer license check.

Previous versions of elements do work on windows7, what makes you think they don't?
What makes me think that? Perhaps that when I tried to install it, Windows 7 said it couldnt continue due to Elements 7 not being compatible and it should be uninstalled first. On the Abobe website it says elements 8 is windows 7 compatible and 7 isnt, and also on the microsoft website which lists all compatible software from major companies it says the same.

you buy 1 retail box, common sense dictates that you can only install it on 1 computer.. pretty much 100% of software works this way.

im not sure what the big issue is here.. :shrug:

regarding older versions not running in W7, has anyone tried compatibility modes?
Yeah imagine that, no cmmon sense here. I just bought a CD and it said I could only listen to it twice!! :bonk::bonk: All I am saying, and it was Realspeed that found it out, is that CLEAR labelling should be on the boxes!

Actually I think Dawn is being somewhat naive about licensing. What does it say in the EULA of the previous version of Elements about installing on multiple computers?

You can download and read the EULA's of all Adobes current and some past products on their website, so it is available to read prior to purchase.

Photoshop Elements 7 says "Primary User may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer, or a computer located at his or her home, provided the software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer." Section 2.4 refers.

Whilst you may be able to install on more computers, technically you are breaking the terms you agreed to abide by when purchasing permission to use the software.

They obviously have tightened up the regulations because of people like Dawn taking liberties, by introducing a stiffer license check.
Dont assume I take liberties my friend, I do no such thing and to suggest it is very very rude. If I have no access to the net how could I read the terms, is that an "assumption" on Adobe's part? I think so!! How can I read something I cant access? The elements 7 I had was usable on ALL computers, it was bought from PC World the same as this one was, so please dont dictate to me. Ill say for the FINAL time, I have NO problem with the product or ANY of the terms, but in order to read those terms Adobe assumes you go home and do that on the net BEFORE buying the product. I am saying CLEAR labeling should be on their product boxes. They admit to doing different license numbers and admit there is no way of knowing which is in the box to the people buying the product off the shelf, thats my problem!

software and music are not the same though..

Neither are a myriad of things Neil, however if it said on the CD case, only suitable for listening to 10 times, Id know that.;):rules:

What makes me think that? Perhaps that when I tried to install it, Windows 7 said it couldnt continue due to Elements 7 not being compatible and it should be uninstalled first. On the Abobe website it says elements 8 is windows 7 compatible and 7 isnt, and also on the microsoft website which lists all compatible software from major companies it says the same.

Yeah imagine that, no cmmon sense here. I just bought a CD and it said I could only listen to it twice!! :bonk::bonk: All I am saying, and it was Realspeed that found it out, is that CLEAR labelling should be on the boxes!

Dont assume I take liberties my friend, I do no such thing and to suggest it is very very rude. If I have no access to the net how could I read the terms, is that an "assumption" on Adobe's part? I think so!! How can I read something I cant access? The elements 7 I had was usable on ALL computers, it was bought from PC World the same as this one was, so please dont dictate to me. Ill say for the FINAL time, I have NO problem with the product or ANY of the terms, but in order to read those terms Adobe assumes you go home and do that on the net BEFORE buying the product. I am saying CLEAR labeling should be on their product boxes. They admit to doing different license numbers and admit there is no way of knowing which is in the box to the people buying the product off the shelf, thats my problem!

I think you're getting you're knickers in a real twist here. Did you read the EULA which is flagged up during the install procedures of all major software titles of both Elements 7 and 8 saying how many computers you are allowed to install it on or did you just skip through it like most people and click next?

Bit of a difference between listening to a CD twice and installing an item of software on 1 PC, 2 PCs, 100PCs, where should the limit be drawn? Its not as if your copy of photoshop stops working after using it twice. Music companies get upset if you make lots of copies of their CDs, and by installing on more than the permitted number of computers is effectively software piracy.

This is one reason I quite like Apple. You can buy a single copy of Snow Leopard (Operating System) and iLife or iWork productivity packages for either a single user or a family pack for up to 5 computers within a household. The difference in cost is typically £ 20 per title.

Dawnb said:

That surprises me, I've been using Elements 7 on Windows 7 since I installed the OS and I didn't need to do anything to get it to run perfectly. :shrug:

I've got Elements 7.0 working fine on my Windows 7 PCs without any problems at all :shrug:

Your CD analogy is not quite correct. You can listen to a CD as many times as you like, but you should not make a copy and listen to it on another stereo. Just as you can use a piece of software unlimited times on one machine, but you can't install it on another machine and use it there as well.

I suppose it could be made clearer that when you buy a piece of software you get one license to use on one computer. This is what is most common these days, if you buy a piece of software with multiple licenses then this is usually easier to spot than something with a single license. In most cases you can uninstall the the software from the first machine and move it to another in order to keep a valid license.

Software licensing is a lot more strict than it has been in the past due to the ease and frequency of piracy and this even without softawre companies allowing you to install their software on multiple machines.

I think you're getting you're knickers in a real twist here. Did you read the EULA which is flagged up during the install procedures of all major software titles of both Elements 7 and 8 saying how many computers you are allowed to install it on or did you just skip through it like most people and click next?

Bit of a difference between listening to a CD twice and installing an item of software on 1 PC, 2 PCs, 100PCs, where should the limit be drawn? Its not as if your copy of photoshop stops working after using it twice. Music companies get upset if you make lots of copies of their CDs, and by installing on more than the permitted number of computers is effectively software piracy.

This is one reason I quite like Apple. You can buy a single copy of Snow Leopard (Operating System) and iLife or iWork productivity packages for either a single user or a family pack for up to 5 computers within a household. The difference in cost is typically £ 20 per title.
If you continue to be rude to me, I will report your posts, have I been rude to you? Id like to converse with you but not at the expense of having insults thrown my way, if you can speak to me properly, ill continue.

For your information, yes I did read the EULA in elements 7, as I said it was usable on all computers, I couldnt really read the other one (8) having gone halfway through the installation and then taken it back could I? See my point? If it had said, limited to 2 computers on the box, Id of bought one for 4 computers, as Adobe said they do. They also said nothing tells you on the box which is contained inside, THAT is my point! We also rang Adobe to buy a license, except they didnt know how much it was and we then rang the stores and companies listed on their sites as "lisence resellers" One was not in business, and we rang a further two, one didnt sell ANYTHING and the other had never been asked before and had no idea!! So whilst Adobe make great software it appears other parts of their company let them down miserably.

That surprises me, I've been using Elements 7 on Windows 7 since I installed the OS and I didn't need to do anything to get it to run perfectly. :shrug:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=adobe elements
This came up when I tried to continue with the 7 upgrade.

Along with a message saying unable to continue with installation due to 2 programs incompatible with windows 7, PSE was one of them, the other was the printer software which updated automatically after installation.

Your CD analogy is not quite correct. You can listen to a CD as many times as you like, but you should not make a copy and listen to it on another stereo. Just as you can use a piece of software unlimited times on one machine, but you can't install it on another machine and use it there as well.

I suppose it could be made clearer that when you buy a piece of software you get one license to use on one computer. This is what is most common these days, if you buy a piece of software with multiple licenses then this is usually easier to spot than something with a single license. In most cases you can uninstall the the software from the first machine and move it to another in order to keep a valid license.

Software licensing is a lot more strict than it has been in the past due to the ease and frequency of piracy and this even without softawre companies allowing you to install their software on multiple machines.
Thats exactly my point. Im not sure whether being a US product whether their rules are different as far as trade descriptions go?

I do take your point about clearer packaging, I don't think Adobe are alone in not making the terms of use easily accessible.

Audio CDs are similar though, you buy a CD and you can listen to it for your own personal enjoyment on any cd player, what you are not supposed to do is play it out loud in a public place and you're not supposed to lend it to anyone.

Back