Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no it's not!

Did take some pics today but with my new (used) Olympus OM-2 35mm film camera. Not the same but i have never used 35mm film before so it's a bit of a test to see if i like it.

London pics to follow hopefully. :nuts:

Well the sun came out so it gave me the opportunity to try the 45-200 at the airport. I am a keen aviation photographer and was anxious to see if I'd blown my chances of getting decent photographs of aircraft by selling my Canon 100-400. I found that I have to set ' auto review' in the menu to off, otherwise, as you take a pic it remains in the EVF making it impossible to track a moving object

These are all taken at 200mm:

P1010083.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010096.jpg

P1010099.jpg

P1010111.jpg

On a different topic, I took delivery of this OpTech wrist strap today, I much prefer it to the default GF1 neck strap and it is easier to stuff into the small bag I use.

IMG_0128.jpg

Well they look very good quality to me. That lens is supposed to be very good!

Nice strap - I did have an Optech neck one which was good. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking as it looks like a good investment.

Well they look very good quality to me. That lens is supposed to be very good!

Thanks Andy, I thought I'd let people take their own view of the quality.

Nice strap - I did have an Optech neck one which was good. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking as it looks like a good investment.

The Optech neck strap is great for SLRs but is pretty much overkill for a GF1, I got this here (came in 2 days)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Op-Digital-...554IXDV0QPIK&s=generic&qid=1266596721&sr=1-23

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3rd party GF1 Battery which works with updated firmware 1.1?

I know there are many available on ebay but does anyone have any experience of them?

Great pictures Glen ....this GF1 is one hell of a camera isn't it, of course the lenses play a big part and they are superb.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3rd party GF1 Battery which works with updated firmware 1.1?

I know there are many available on ebay but does anyone have any experience of them?

I got this one:

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/...REMIUM_rechargeable_battery__WIN-PSBLB13V2B-D

Works fine, though I have noticed that once it reaches two bars on the capacity-o-meter on the lcd, it very soon runs out, but having said that, it takes quite a while for it to change from 3 to 2 bars in the first place. For £18 it's worth having.

I bought this one

Panasonic DMW-BLB13E (works with all firmwares) first in Europe by Jupio

From Amazon.co.uk

Works with all firmware

love those plane shots - the color of the sky on number 2 is superb
really like the slight vignette on number 4 - is this straight from the camera?

going to order a optech wrist strap right now - that is exactly what i was looking for

thanks (y)

love those plane shots - the color of the sky on number 2 is superb
really like the slight vignette on number 4 - is this straight from the camera?

going to order a optech wrist strap right now - that is exactly what i was looking for

thanks (y)

Thanks, the lens does seem to vignette slightly at 200mm, all I've done is tweak the levels and sharpen slightly. Glad you like the strap, they've only one left.....

Well I've just returned from a trip to France, 600 photos on the GF1 with the 20mm, 14-45 and 45-200 lenses. Mostly chateaus, street scenes, rural villages and plenty at Disneyland. Not once did I wish I had the 5D2 with me nor did I need a viewfinder. Shot everything in RAW + large JPEG.

I'll post several examples on here when I get a chance - I've been very impressed with it all week - perfect camera for the trip I've just done.

Well I've just returned from a trip to France, 600 photos on the GF1 with the 20mm, 14-45 and 45-200 lenses. Mostly chateaus, street scenes, rural villages and plenty at Disneyland. Not once did I wish I had the 5D2 with me nor did I need a viewfinder. Shot everything in RAW + large JPEG.

I'll post several examples on here when I get a chance - I've been very impressed with it all week - perfect camera for the trip I've just done.

Sounds great, looking forward to seeing some examples

Anything that moves salute it, anything indoors stationary photograph it.

WOW! I'm looking forward to those images! Get processing fella!(y)

I've a trip planned to Mathers today....wonder if I will return a member of this rapidly growing club....? ;-)

You will be more than welcome....sun is shining here this morning so may get a few shots around the shops if she lets me take the camera with me :LOL:

It's cold but quite clear here today and the last time I walked this route it was in the snow.

P1000955c.jpg

I spotted these trainers and here's a crop at 100% too.

P1000930c.jpg

P1000930cs.jpg

I suppose asking how or why would be pointless.

A quick one while parked outside paper shop this morning, sun was supposed to be shining but as usual it had vanished.

Here's few from my first proper photo outing with the GF1.

4372543451_a63c06c89f.jpg

4372554989_b8f0c11fca.jpg

4373304842_fca7b93397.jpg

4373312850_448749a0fb.jpg

The full set of photographs is up on my flickr

I really loved using the GF1 and 20mm, I loved the simplicity that it brought to my photography, it felt like a very pure experience. I even rather enjoyed using the lcd screen to compose, that surprised me a lot. I daresay that I may yet still but the EVF but after today I don't consider it the essential purchase that I did.

Last edited:
These images really prove what a versatile camera the GF1 is, great stuff.

As I have written before that I am not a believer in raw files. Yes I use raw + large Jpeg and keep the card ie as a digital film. Hence I still have the raw image untouched. I have been wondering about the difference between the two formats if it came down to printing. I try to nail the snap and get it right, wasting time sitting playing with PS isn't my idea of fun but a slight degree of "I wonder if"" remains

The only PS software I use is Elements 5 which is only used for re-sizing for the web. I use digital in other words like the slide film of the past where what you took is what you get. I don't even rotate I shoot everything in landscape 16-9 format , which matches my TV. This might sound crazy but it instills some discipline and a little thought.

But getting back to the raw files. I think the Silkypix thing is tosh, very difficult to read and it just stalls all the time. So being a tight fisted git, whats around to play with that supports the GF1, cheap?

I have the convertor thing for my Nikons but at the moments it seems to have gone walkabouts, probably not compatable anyway............possibly tossed them out.

Any advice other than stick to Jpegs?

Brian.

Last edited:
But getting back to the raw files. I think the Silkypix thing is tosh, very difficult to read and it just stalls all the time. So being a tight fisted git, whats around to play with that supports the GF1, cheap?

I have the convertor thing for my Nikons but at the moments it seems to have gone walkabouts, probably not compatable anyway............possibly tossed them out.

Any advice other than stick to Jpegs?

Brian.

Snap, silkypix just doesnt feel right.
I use Lightroom for tweaking RAW's and the odd jpg(since i shoot both RAW + jpg as well).
Could be worth looking at GIMP for a freebie image editor. Havent played with it for years though.

Hurrah - joined the club yesterday. Took an age waiting for the battery to come to life. Went for the 2 lens kit (20 and 14-45). Been playing mainly with the 20mm last night, to get my head round all the settings.

Time to have a read back through the thread now, and see what I missed!

Hurrah - joined the club yesterday. Took an age waiting for the battery to come to life. Went for the 2 lens kit (20 and 14-45). Been playing mainly with the 20mm last night, to get my head round all the settings.

Time to have a read back through the thread now, and see what I missed!

Welcome Mark, hurry up and lets see some pics(y)

here's a pic of a fiends little lad, its quite a crop (the full image is great but I love this crop)

rhyscrop.jpg

F1.7 250 iso100 20mm pancake

edit: oh christ, sorry mods, resizing immediately!!

Last edited:
Just back from a holiday in the Alps. I just took my new GF1 and 14-45 lens and left at home my big bag of 1D's and L lenses. The GF1 was excellent. Small and light, and that 14-45 lens is really beautifully sharp. Very impressive. I didn't try any action shots with it, but the GF1 was responsive and a delight to use, and coming from an LX3 very familiar too.

I really want a longer prime - I'm pondering a 50mm Voigtlander f/1.5 which should look fantastic. However I'm not sure how long I should hold off before Panasonic bring out their own set of primes to go with the 20mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back