weekly Pitkin2020's Week 52: Week 3, 8, 11, 13, 23, 24, 25

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So i'm a bit late joining as I only just got my D90 but will do my best to keep up after failing this a year or two ago when I had my D40. I may go back over the previous weeks over the coming weeks but I want to try and focus primarily on the next themes to ensure I follow this through from now till the end,

I welcome all criticism as it will definitely help me improve.

Week 17: Twisted
Well the first thing that popped into my head was CAT5 twisted pairs lol, being an electrical student it just sort of seemed to first.
I took this with my D90 - 28-80mm using natural light with a pass of a torch just to highlight it a little, not sure if it really worked but its a gloomy day.
week17-1_zpsbcea990f.jpg

Welcome in - never too late to start, you;ve missed the busyness of the first weeks so it's easier to get round everyone else threads now/

I welcome all criticism as it will definitely help me improve.

I prefer critique. (and I suspect you would to) :)

As far as this goes, it's nicely on theme, had same subject as an idea myself., the pass of the torch has brought out the colours nicely, (has also given a less nice shadow), focus and exposure are good.

Its the ends that are the interesting bit for me, with the twists and the 4 pairs. Which I don;t feel you've made the most of.

Neatly stripped ends, with the conductors also neatly twisted, all the same length, or possibly better all creating a straight diagonal.

Good start though, gets easier as time goes on. (y)

Thanks for the critique I thought I had worded it badly lol.
I did think about stripping the ends back but you don't really do that with cat5 only electrical cable which I wish I had of used instead tbh and focused more on the twisted copper but I get your point.

Thanks for the input.

The shadow I was in two minds about myself but the more I looked at it the more I liked it lol not sure why though really.

Cropped this one a little closer
week17-1-1_zpsbcbd314b.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Richard, prefer the crop, good idea and colours,(y) not a lover of the shadow in the first. A different amount of twits on each of the four pairs of wire for a bit of interest maybe? :thinking:........ also, for me, I'd prefer it flipped 180 degs. :) Edit- sorry, meant rotated not flipped :)

Last edited:
Hi Richard, nicely lit subject with some good colours. I quite like the crop on the first one, but as mentioned not too keen on the shadow. maybe could be cloned out? also im not sure if theres some dust spots around the shadow on the left hand side too? good clean bright background though (y)

:wave: Richard, prefer the crop, good idea and colours,(y) not a lover of the shadow in the first. A different amount of twits on each of the four pairs of wire for a bit of interest maybe? :thinking:........ also, for me, I'd prefer it flipped 180 degs. :) Edit- sorry, meant rotated not flipped :)
Thanks for the feedback, you mean coming up from the bottom left instead of down from the top right as currently?

Hi Richard, nicely lit subject with some good colours. I quite like the crop on the first one, but as mentioned not too keen on the shadow. maybe could be cloned out? also im not sure if theres some dust spots around the shadow on the left hand side too? good clean bright background though (y)

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about the dust spots i'll have to take a closer look at that and double check

Hi Richard & welcome aboard :welcome:

I much prefer the cropped version of twisted...nice n sharp with the different colors adding a bit of interest (y)
thank you

Welcome! Good take on the theme! What sparks course are you doing? 2357? Anyway, you beat me to it, I was going to do the same bit I have the purple FTP stuff but decided not to repeat your idea. You did it well, I like the angle you chose and the length of the twisted pairs. If you had lost the shadow I would prefer it, but I can't advise how to do that as I am still learning, but I think it must be something to do with lighting.

Thanks for the feedback.
The shadow was from the torch light and I could of removed it in PP but it's gone with the crop, just a little vignette (sp) around the edges.

I'm on an EAL level 2 course not C&G ( college has moved over to EAL from c&g)

I am trying to go back over and do some of the previous weeks so they may show up randomly from time to time as I get to them

Week 1 Linear/Line, a bit abstract but nice lines
Week 1 Linear by pitkin2020, on Flickr

Week 15 Action - not great TBH, wasn't quite what I was hoping for
Week 15 Action by pitkin2020, on Flickr

Week 16 Mono bit of an alternative to Fresh
Week 16 Mono by pitkin2020, on Flickr

Week 18 Fresh Fresh onshore wind, was hoping for a bit wave action on the rocks but the tide wasn't quite there
Week 18 Fresh by pitkin2020, on Flickr

Hi. Catch up...

Twisted, on theme,good detail and colours, just RHS shadow in the BG needs work on. Edit is better, but just a hind of shadow upper left.

Curve, b&w works well. Closer for me, mainly because of the bland sky. Lifting the shadows on the roof would work, I feel.

Action. Well frozen motion but you're at wrong side, adding a bit of oomph with added contrast and colours would help.

Mono, well spotted but not keen on the masts.

Fresh, potential and decent frozen waves. Some sunset colour would be good.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
Colours weren't great as it was a pretty gloomy day typically after getting home the sun came out lol.

The action shot was a candid one lol no idea who it is but I see your point

NSFW - Week 19 Shape - In the human form. Found this really hard to get it how I pictured it but reasonably happy with the results. Getting the light right wasn't as easy I thought it would be. I don't really have the right kit either but this was achieved using a floodlight to give a lot of back light.

Two of the shots im quite happy with but welcome all comments

Week19 Shape by devonD90, on Flickr

Week 19 Shape by devonD90, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, Bubbles, on theme, but a little under exposed and not enough detail, ie get closer.

Mineral, again on theme, and some interesting detail. Parts see OOF, upper left ah and side.

Shape, I'm intrigued....go on show us then ;)

Cheers.

Hi, Bubbles, on theme, but a little under exposed and not enough detail, ie get closer.

Mineral, again on theme, and some interesting detail. Parts see OOF, upper left ah and side.

Shape, I'm intrigued....go on show us then ;)

Cheers.

Bubbles I hold my hand up was really lazy lol but I really struggled to think outside the box on that one

Mineral I see what you mean, is this one any better?? I used f6.3 hoping it would all be in focus
EDIT left side sstill doesn't look all that sharp
Week 6 mineral by devonD90, on Flickr

Shape is up

Cheers.
been thinking about this today and I think the camera may have been just too close to the quartz to get everything in focus, thats all i can think it is as the closest part is OOF like you say but the rest seems ok to me, would you think thats about right??

been thinking about this today and I think the camera may have been just too close to the quartz to get everything in focus, thats all i can think it is as the closest part is OOF like you say but the rest seems ok to me, would you think thats about right??

It could have been that or f6.3 may have been a factor. Try f8.

Cheers.

Ill have to work on that and give it a play to see what happens.

Guessing people don't think much of week 19 lol

Ill have to work on that and give it a play to see what happens.

Guessing people don't think much of week 19 lol

Shape wasn't showing when I last looked. Obviously on theme. There is potential there but I'm not keen on the lighting. I'd like more even BG lighting.

I think I'd like a little less....let me explain. It's on theme, but I'd like to see a bit closer with more emphasis on the curves. Minimal if you like.

Cheers and quite a daring photograph. I'm glad I'm not the only on to submit a nude (y)

Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated and I agree with your comments. I really struggled on the lighting and it was either too much or not enough lol.
My aim was really for a silhouette but when I got that like in the first one light was still too low.
Anyway it was fun doing these and an excuse to do more practice lol

Great catch up from you I like mineral but I am not so sure on the green background, shape fits the theme nicely great work the second image is my fav.

Bubble - certainly plenty there but the image does not excite me.

Fresh - fits the theme, looks very fresh and cold out love the composition nice work.

Mono - lovely image no crit required.

Action - fits the theme, my only crit would be I would of liked to have seen the chaps face rather than a behind shot.

Great catch up from you I like mineral but I am not so sure on the green background, shape fits the theme nicely great work the second image is my fav.

Bubble - certainly plenty there but the image does not excite me.

Fresh - fits the theme, looks very fresh and cold out love the composition nice work.

Mono - lovely image no crit required.

Action - fits the theme, my only crit would be I would of liked to have seen the chaps face rather than a behind shot.

Thanks pinkbikerbabe appreciate the feedback and have take your suggestions on board.

Action I did have a shot of the skater facing me more and looking back I can see it would have been the better image of the two.

Lines works really well, just enough interest in the sky to complement the lines without detracting from them

shadow for shape is great, second for me as the first is a bit too dark, second with the shape of the head more visible works well.

Good job too using the lights you have to hand (y)

Lines works really well, just enough interest in the sky to complement the lines without detracting from them

shadow for shape is great, second for me as the first is a bit too dark, second with the shape of the head more visible works well.

Good job too using the lights you have to hand (y)

thank you, 2nd is my fave of the 2 aswell. I think one the first one would have worked with more light but it was a struggle.
As for lighting I used a £3 floodlight from screwfix (bulb included!!!) added a plug job done. Not the best and would have been better probably focused on just a smaller area I think

I find natural light for these types of photographs works really well :naughty:

Cheers.
she wasn't up for going out in the garden lol and kids were n bed so no forest or beach to go to but i know what you mean

A good set of images you're kicking out. I wondered if anyone would do *that* for "shape". I think it works.
For your bubble shot, I wondered if that was an attempt at pointing your camera in the direction of the Bubble Nebula, but I guess not.
Mineral - nice reflection.

Thanks, the shape idea was nearly how I pictured it lol defiantly harder to do in practice then in my head.

Bubbles was an attempt at pointing at the bubble bath after giving up after an hour of try into blow bubbles an photograph them. Now that was hard lol

I like to think of it as abstract lol, it was a lazy attempt to fill a week tbh but I am trying to catch ip

Hi there ...someone has been busy...well done to you for catching up so well.

Linear I like the black and white and think it's excellent for the theme...maybe a tighter to crop to give more impact.

Action...great idea and good on the feet but the head disappears into the bush which is a shame.

Mono and Fresh...the black and white captures a bleak look, fresh ...the waves and rocks are captured well, I like the angle on that one.

Bubble and mineral...bubble ...needs to be closer to the bubbles to get some impact...mineral...a nice piece of quartz bang on theme.

Shape ... I much prefer shot number one..the pose is so much more flattering. I don't think it needs any more lighting than that ...the silhouette makes the shot for me.

thank you for your positive feedback susie and pointers its much appreciated.

I am trying to catch up and hopefully another week or two and i'll be there its a bit harder than i thought it would be but i am actually enjoying 52 this year just need to keep the momentum going!!

Hi Richard... you have been busy :)

linear...lots of lines I love the curves :)
Action.... I agree a forward facing shot might have been better, but a good one well caught :)
Mono and Fresh... great seascapes, well shot :)
Bubble... looking at your other work, not quite up to your standard :(
Mineral... A nice find, fits the theme, not too sure about the bright green :)
Shape... No 1 for me, beautiful work, specially having read your comments about lighting, well done brave lady (y)(y)

Plenty of good images there Richard (y) Fresh caught mi eye, plenty of detail and colour in the f/g in the rocks, nicely breaking waves, certainly looks fresh (y)

Shape, great idea, 1st as a silhouette works for me, prefer the pose, lighting works well (y) and a big :clap: to your model, well done :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Getting a bit behind as under the weather at the moment but will have a few more to post shortly

Back