Playing with new Lencarta lights

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a kit with the new Elite pro 2 heads today so dragged the Daughter into the living room erm Studio :woot: First time I've ever used studio flash so be gentle :)

I like the photographs Chris. The quality and feel of number 3 and number 5 are the way to go in my opinion. Watch out for small details, the arm and face are about 1/3 a stop different so even that up in post production, the necklace is clearly visible in some and disappears in other, and hanging cords are visible in the last one. The model and background are complementing and nicely separated, hopefully your daughter is pleased with them, She has an individual look and loads of personality which comes through in the images. the lights look like a good investment !! Kind regards Gary

These are great, and I love the colour of her hair. I think I like #1 the best, purely for the way her eyes stand out. Great shots though.

I like those chris, as gary said your daughter is carrying her personality into the images.

I like the poses and the light is really nice and soft. Only just acquiring my own set of strobes, I am envious that you have achieved this on your first go :)

Any chance of telling us your setup, I notice you were shooting at F11, I guess that is how you have managed to underexpose the background, but did you PP that (i.e. some detail did come through but you've cleaned it up) and what sort of power setting did you use on your lighting setup (1 light i presume?, from a couple of foot of the floor?)

Thanks! and great pics :)

First go... You did great, well done
2 and 3 for me

H

Last edited:
Thanks Guys :). Carlh 1,3 and 5 is a 36" translucent brolly and reflector 'clamshell' and 2 and 4 is a 4ft gridded Octabox and reflector. 5 is the only one at f11 just because it metered that way and I thought what the hell !! The only PP on the background was graduated and or radial filter in LR5 to clean up a bit of light spill - one of the downsides of working in a small space although with the gridded Octa you can pretty much control most if not all of the light on the background even in such a small space. Didn't take much notice of the power settings generally just metered for f8 with the light meter.

cheers chris :) thats most helpful. I have yet to try my light meter with my strobes, it does have a mode for it so will have to see what happens with that :) cheers again

For a first time user of studio flash, I think these are great, I also think using a dark background has help you immensely, as quite often people starting off tend to use white, and then the problems start, it's obvious you will only get better, also helps having a nice looking resident model to help you :)

I think these are excellent,the lighting looks fantastic & i really like the background.:):clap:

Thanks all the background is just black seamless and easy enough to keep virtually black even in a small space as the boxes are gridded. The hat shot has light on the background because the light was more to the front but the more I play with black backgrounds the more I'm liking them various gradients of grey to black across the frame.

Fatheadedlizard if memory serves:

1 and 2 where a 36" translucent brolly on camera axis angled down at 45 degrees with silver reflector fill underneath. Clam shell style - think beauty dish without the dish. 4 was a gridded octabox to models left pointing down 45 deg and fill from models left was a silver reflector. I think 5 was a 4ft gridded softbox on camera axis, 45 degrees down and silver reflector fill from underneath.

6 was the 4ft gridded octabox 45 deg off camera axis and pointing 45 deg down silver reflector to the left, models right, for fill. Hair light was a snoot with honeycomb grid 180 deg side of the model pointing down.

The last black and white shot was a 36" silver reflective umbrella 3/4 closed to narrow down the light - a bit of gaffa tape helps keep the brolly open partially without collapsing on itself and coming into contact with any modelling lamps. This was 90 deg from camera with model facing and looking up. Brolly was pointing down 45 deg.

Back