Please help! A complete newbie.. need advice on Canon EOS 450D. First time buyer!

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

This is my first real post, so please be kind:)

Right, first of all, the body. Now after reading endless reviews, and comparing many brand named SLR's, (mostly Nikon and Canon) i have come to the conclusion i will mostly likely go towards the Canon EOS route and purchase the 450D model. Reasons being; has various features, suitable for beginner, affordable and can add an additional lens pretty much straight away. As i have read through a various number of threads on the forum, i have noticed alot of members with this model SLR, and would like your opinions on it.

Would you recommend it for a beginner?
Could i hold on to it say for 2 years without feeling i need to upgrade straight away?
Should i just purchase just the body or is the kit lens worth the extra money? (18-55mm kit lens that is)
Is the Live View really that slow?
In the live view mode, if i was to blur the background, is it clearly visible?
Am i able to take professional looking pictures using this camera within the fields im interested in? (stated below)

If it helps giving your answers, i am interested in the following types of photography. Macro/Panoramic/Portraits/Some Landscapes/Weddings.

Please excuse any blonde questions guys. And i have searched for relating threads on the forum and cleared up some other questions i had, but the questions i am asking now, either i couldnt find, needed more reassurance or havent been asked.

Greatly appreciate any help recieved!!!!!

Hi,

This is my first real post, so please be kind:)

Right, first of all, the body. Now after reading endless reviews, and comparing many brand named SLR's, (mostly Nikon and Canon) i have come to the conclusion i will mostly likely go towards the Canon EOS route and purchase the 450D model. Reasons being; has various features, suitable for beginner, affordable and can add an additional lens pretty much straight away. As i have read through a various number of threads on the forum, i have noticed alot of members with this model SLR, and would like your opinions on it.

Yes, it's excellent value.

Could i hold on to it say for 2 years without feeling i need to upgrade straight away?

Yes. Who knows what's coming in the next two years but whatever it is, it will not make your current camera any worse, and anything you buy meanwhile will be fully compatible.

Should i just purchase just the body or is the kit lens worth the extra money? (18-55mm kit lens that is)

Get the kit lens. Again, it is unbeatable value and very capable. If you can stretch another £200, the 55-250 IS is another great buy. Then maybe think about a decent flash, or a wide-angle, or a macro, or a 50 1.8, tripod... But TBH I would start with the minimum you need to get you going, then upgrade one thing at a time and get to learn it thoroughly.

Slow at what? What do you want to use live view for? IMO it's great when using a tripod, but not much help otherwise.

Yes. Assuming you mean a shallow depth of field effect, but you'll need a lens with a low f/number like f/1.8 to really make the most of that.

Am i able to take professional looking pictures using this camera within the fields im interested in? (stated below)

If it helps giving your answers, i am interested in the following types of photography. Macro/Panoramic/Portraits/Some Landscapes/Weddings.

The camera is perfectly capable, but that's no guarantee of 'professional looking pictures' which has a lot more to do with who's using it.

Please excuse any blonde questions guys. And i have searched for relating threads on the forum and cleared up some other questions i had, but the questions i am asking now, either i couldnt find, needed more reassurance or havent been asked.

Greatly appreciate any help recieved!!!!!

Just get the 450D and kit lens (you can't really go wrong there) and see how you get on with that. Don't buy anything else until you have got that nailed.

Relating to you other thread about choosing lenses, that will become easy and obvious as soon as you start exploring the kit lens - you can have a go at most things with that. When you find that it won't do something that you can't get around any other way, eg zooming with your feet, then that's the area to look in to.

Welcome to TP :)

I think most people start off with something similar to a 450d, it's a great camera to learn with but one that can still deliver very good results.

I tried both Canon and Nikon before going with Canon as i found i got on better with their menu system, i know some people prefer Nikon so i'd advise trying both a 450d and Nikons equivalent before you part with your money and go with what you feel most comfortable with.

As for lenses, i'd advise a starter to go with a kit lens, or if not then an affordable zoom, and learn how to get the most from that before spending megabucks on L quality glass.

I know of a woman on another forum that uses a 400d and a 50mm 1.8 and takes newborn portraits and she gets comments from pros using 10k plus of gear that love her work, so great results are achievable, just better equipment can make it easier, that said I know some people with pro bodies that can't take them out of auto.

Go with what you're happy with and ignore the oh no you can't get good results unless you spend tons of money people, and have fun with it when you get it.

Yes its a great camera, you wont regret it, I love my lil 450d.

It will last you two years, the only thing that might want you to upgrade is if you take a specific route in your work...e.g. sports, and you might want a fast frame per second for example. But even then the 450d will still get you great pics.

Go with what you're happy with and ignore the oh no you can't get good results unless you spend tons of money people, and have fun with it when you get it.

:agree:
Here is a sarcastic moody post I left the other day, you dont need to read it I was just ranting lol you can see some picture I took with my 450d on the first post.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224372

Live view, slow at AF I take it you mean? tried it once and yes its pants....live view is only good for tripod work, especially tripod macro stuff as you can zoom in 5x and 10x to fine tweak that focus.

All in all, its really east to use once you get used to the settings etc, quality is great, really cant fault any of it.....also I would get the kit lens too as for the price its spot on

Go for it with the kit lens, there is a post in the bargains section listing the 55-250 for £161 if you want a value for money telephoto.

Love mine had it 3 years and has given me some great photos, I am upgrading in the near future purely because I want a faster camera as I am interested in wildlife and sports.

Go for it you won't look back and you will never get rid of it and enjoy.

Welcome to TP by the way we are a friendly bunch (well some of us:LOL:)

Hi & Welcome :wave:

It's a very good camera and I wouldn't have thought you would out grow it soon. The 18-55IS kit lens is good, yes there are better lenses out there, but also with a price to match !

The 55-250 IS lens (despite it's cheap price) is a belter, esp for the price and will give you a nice range of zoom. As you enjoy your camera and maybe move to a specific area of photography, you can then look towards upgrades / new purchases in that area, for examle Macro photo.

Hope this is of some help (y)

Yes. Had mine a year and a half, no plans to upgrade yet. I guess that depends how severely you come down with gear-itis though.

The kit lens is ok. Not great, I used mine for a fair while but did ditch it in favour of a younger and prettier model. Depends how much you're wanting to spend but you wouldn't go wrong with a tamon 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) or a sigma 18-50 2.8 if you want something a little fancier.

There's a quick mode that flips the mirror down and focusses that way. Usually I just use manual focus in live view though.

Yes. There's a depth of field preview if you want to narrow your aperture down to see what the effect will be on the picture.

I would say so, but judge for yourself, plenty of material on flickr to show you what its capable of.

For weddings you might want a higher maximum iso and better performance at 800 and 1600. I'm reluctant to use above 400 on mine, but the pricier models perform much better at 1600 and beyond.

I bought the 450D as my first SLR, I had used one previosly as my DH has the same model, I had only owned a P & S previously and I was frustrated with the limitations although I did get some good pctures I knew I wanted more.

I bought the body with the kit lens and I also invested in a 10-20 mm wide angle because I am into landscapes, I have also bought a 55-250mm IS which I have used probably more than any other lens in the bag.

I have bought a couple of tripods, we like travelling and walking and getting a sturdy but light without spending megabucks was a challange.

The one thing that money can't buy is experience and I have spent hours trying out different settings on the same shot.

I hope you are happy with your choice.

I've got a 450D and it is a great little camera, I bought the 55-250 IS to go with it and also a Manfrotto tripod, so far I've taken it to Glen Nevis shooting landscapes, work shooting advertising shots, all sorts.

Coming most recently from digital compacts I thought I would use Liveview a lot, to be honest the first time I used it was yesterday when doing some static shots of our new bodyshop at work from a tripod.

Yes, it's excellent value.

Yes. Who knows what's coming in the next two years but whatever it is, it will not make your current camera any worse, and anything you buy meanwhile will be fully compatible.

Get the kit lens. Again, it is unbeatable value and very capable. If you can stretch another £200, the 55-250 IS is another great buy. Then maybe think about a decent flash, or a wide-angle, or a macro, or a 50 1.8, tripod... But TBH I would start with the minimum you need to get you going, then upgrade one thing at a time and get to learn it thoroughly.

Slow at what? What do you want to use live view for? IMO it's great when using a tripod, but not much help otherwise.

Yes. Assuming you mean a shallow depth of field effect, but you'll need a lens with a low f/number like f/1.8 to really make the most of that.

The camera is perfectly capable, but that's no guarantee of 'professional looking pictures' which has a lot more to do with who's using it.

Just get the 450D and kit lens (you can't really go wrong there) and see how you get on with that. Don't buy anything else until you have got that nailed.

Relating to you other thread about choosing lenses, that will become easy and obvious as soon as you start exploring the kit lens - you can have a go at most things with that. When you find that it won't do something that you can't get around any other way, eg zooming with your feet, then that's the area to look in to.

Welcome to TP :)

Thanks for your reply! Greatly appreciated, great advice there! Seriously considering the kit lens..

I want to build up my knowledge and skill slowly without hurting the wallet; especially when i dont understand it.

(y)

I think most people start off with something similar to a 450d, it's a great camera to learn with but one that can still deliver very good results.

I tried both Canon and Nikon before going with Canon as i found i got on better with their menu system, i know some people prefer Nikon so i'd advise trying both a 450d and Nikons equivalent before you part with your money and go with what you feel most comfortable with.

As for lenses, i'd advise a starter to go with a kit lens, or if not then an affordable zoom, and learn how to get the most from that before spending megabucks on L quality glass.

I know of a woman on another forum that uses a 400d and a 50mm 1.8 and takes newborn portraits and she gets comments from pros using 10k plus of gear that love her work, so great results are achievable, just better equipment can make it easier, that said I know some people with pro bodies that can't take them out of auto.

Cheers mark for the advice..(y)

It is easy to think you need to spend loads in order to get 'amazing' images, especially when your a beginner like myself, however when i do eventually get my camera, im confident i can take atleast a few capable pics :p

Yes its a great camera, you wont regret it, I love my lil 450d.

It will last you two years, the only thing that might want you to upgrade is if you take a specific route in your work...e.g. sports, and you might want a fast frame per second for example. But even then the 450d will still get you great pics.

:agree:
Here is a sarcastic moody post I left the other day, you dont need to read it I was just ranting lol you can see some picture I took with my 450d on the first post.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224372

Live view, slow at AF I take it you mean? tried it once and yes its pants....live view is only good for tripod work, especially tripod macro stuff as you can zoom in 5x and 10x to fine tweak that focus.

All in all, its really east to use once you get used to the settings etc, quality is great, really cant fault any of it.....also I would get the kit lens too as for the price its spot on

Cheers robbo mate, your pictures look cool and even better as its taken with a kit lens!! Definately has given me some sorta inspiration on how you dont have to spend loads in order to get amazing pictures!!

(y)

I totally agree, it's Canon's best camera for the cash. We got one with kit lens last week from digigood on ebay for £370 with kit lens and 4gb card, supposedly a recon but appears new and Canon boxed.

Love mine had it 3 years and has given me some great photos, I am upgrading in the near future purely because I want a faster camera as I am interested in wildlife and sports.

Go for it you won't look back and you will never get rid of it and enjoy.

Welcome to TP by the way we are a friendly bunch (well some of us:LOL:)

Thanks for your response! Hopefully looking to upgrade when i get more knowledge and know-how.

Yes 'so far' :p, TP has been great! Helped me a great deal already.. without this forum, id be lost!

I totally agree, it's Canon's best camera for the cash. We got one with kit lens last week from digigood on ebay for £370 with kit lens and 4gb card, supposedly a recon but appears new and Canon boxed.

Hi,

I was going to ask that next. I am too looking to purchase of eBay, however im not sure whether to buy brand new or on there. Whats the major difference of buying brand new and second hand? Except for warranty?

I was going to buy the body new, and lenses second hand :shrug:

Hi & Welcome :wave:

It's a very good camera and I wouldn't have thought you would out grow it soon. The 18-55IS kit lens is good, yes there are better lenses out there, but also with a price to match !

The 55-250 IS lens (despite it's cheap price) is a belter, esp for the price and will give you a nice range of zoom. As you enjoy your camera and maybe move to a specific area of photography, you can then look towards upgrades / new purchases in that area, for examle Macro photo.

Hope this is of some help (y)

Has helped andy mate, cheers (y)

By the way, would a 55-250 IS lens, be any good for shooting wedding shots because of the fast shutter speed?

Yes. Had mine a year and a half, no plans to upgrade yet. I guess that depends how severely you come down with gear-itis though.

The kit lens is ok. Not great, I used mine for a fair while but did ditch it in favour of a younger and prettier model. Depends how much you're wanting to spend but you wouldn't go wrong with a tamon 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) or a sigma 18-50 2.8 if you want something a little fancier.

There's a quick mode that flips the mirror down and focusses that way. Usually I just use manual focus in live view though.

Yes. There's a depth of field preview if you want to narrow your aperture down to see what the effect will be on the picture.

I would say so, but judge for yourself, plenty of material on flickr to show you what its capable of.

For weddings you might want a higher maximum iso and better performance at 800 and 1600. I'm reluctant to use above 400 on mine, but the pricier models perform much better at 1600 and beyond.

Yeah, in the fututre i do hope to create my own little part time business shooting weddings but then, i will definately get something better as knowledge,experience and money in the pocket increases :p

But at 400 ISO, assuming your saying if i shoot a wedding using the EOS 450D, hows the noise? Is it noticible when your print?

I bought the 450D as my first SLR, I had used one previosly as my DH has the same model, I had only owned a P & S previously and I was frustrated with the limitations although I did get some good pctures I knew I wanted more.

I bought the body with the kit lens and I also invested in a 10-20 mm wide angle because I am into landscapes, I have also bought a 55-250mm IS which I have used probably more than any other lens in the bag.

I have bought a couple of tripods, we like travelling and walking and getting a sturdy but light without spending megabucks was a challange.

The one thing that money can't buy is experience and I have spent hours trying out different settings on the same shot.

I hope you are happy with your choice.

I hope so to Digikat!

I've got a 450D and it is a great little camera, I bought the 55-250 IS to go with it and also a Manfrotto tripod, so far I've taken it to Glen Nevis shooting landscapes, work shooting advertising shots, all sorts.

Coming most recently from digital compacts I thought I would use Liveview a lot, to be honest the first time I used it was yesterday when doing some static shots of our new bodyshop at work from a tripod.

Hey mark!

The 55-250 IS is propving popular and is getting recommended alot! Will read more into it tonight..

Just had a quick glance on what a Manfrotto tripod is and from what i have gathered, it looks really complex. Whats the difference buying a Manfrotto tripod and a tripod for £11 on eBay?

Sorry to be blonde :bonk:

Hey mark!

The 55-250 IS is propving popular and is getting recommended alot! Will read more into it tonight..

Just had a quick glance on what a Manfrotto tripod is and from what i have gathered, it looks really complex. Whats the difference buying a Manfrotto tripod and a tripod for £11 on eBay?

Sorry to be blonde :bonk:

I'm getting the impression that you haven't actually used much photo equipment. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that.

You need to get some real life practise. Just get the 450D and kit zoom - nothing else for now. See how you get on, you'll learn a lot and the next step/upgrade will be clear once you've got the hang of it.

BTW there is nothing complicated about a tripod, Manfrotto or otherwise ;)

An £11 tripod will do what it is supposed to, hold your camera still.

I started off with one from asda and suited me fine.

I realised I had to change when I reached my limitations, there was certain positions I needed the tripod to be able to go into when doing my maco or low angle shots etc, so I went for a tripod with more'functions' in a way.

The cheaper ones are generally ok for general stuff, but the heads can some times be a bit un smooth to control and don't glide as easy.

Like I say, mine was fine for what I needed it for and it was about a tenner, no money waster as I keep it now for when I am doing off camera remote flash etc

I'm no expert but I bought my first DSLR around this time last year - and I went for the 450D. I still love it - I've invested in new lenses (I now have the kit lens, a Canon 50mm 1.8, a Sigma 10-20mm and a Sigma 70-300 macro).

I find myself lusting after new lenses, but am more than happy still with my 450D - there's still so much that I need to learn about it in order to get the best I can out of it...

I don't think you'd regret buying one. The kit lens is a great lens to start off with... I can't really answer your live view questions as I've only used it once so far if I'm honest!

Back