PLEASE HELP WITH DECISION!!

Name
Bethia
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I have always been a fan of photography and even more so since having my son (now 2yrs). My 30th Birthday is coming up (AGH) and I have asked my husband for an SLR camera. I borrowed a Canon 400d from a work colleague last week and really enjoyed taking photos with it, and I am very pleased with what I achieved for a "beginner to slr's".

Now the question......I have a budget, so am looking at the Canon 500d twin lens kit etc. However, I have also been put in the direction of the new Panasonic Lumix LZ48. Basically - HELP - I am struggling to decide what would be best to see me through my new found "serious" hobby!! :shrug:

I have began to realise that everyone has their "favourite" so with all the advice I have been given I am now very confused. My main interest is portrait photography/families etc.

Much appreciated!

Bep

Hi All,

I have always been a fan of photography and even more so since having my son (now 2yrs). My 30th Birthday is coming up (AGH) and I have asked my husband for an SLR camera. I borrowed a Canon 400d from a work colleague last week and really enjoyed taking photos with it, and I am very pleased with what I achieved for a "beginner to slr's".

Now the question......I have a budget, so am looking at the Canon 500d twin lens kit etc. However, I have also been put in the direction of the new Panasonic Lumix LZ48. Basically - HELP - I am struggling to decide

Bep

Hi Bep & Welcome :wave:

If you have tried the 400D and really enjoyed it, then I would suggest going down this route.

Check out the other makes as well to make sure that Canon (or another make) is what you would like, you are starting off your hobby and generally people don't swap makes once they begin...

With regards to the twin lens kit - I'd be careful re what the 2nd lens is, it could be better to buy a different lens or even cheaper to buy the same lens seperately.

This is a good site to look at regarding prices http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat5.html

What was the lens kit ?

Last edited:
HI - thanks for your reply. Part of me would like to stick with a Canon as I have been able to have a "hands on" experience with the same for a week or so - but then, of course, there is the changing of the lens, creating dust on the sensor, carrying it around etc. (comments from people I have spoken to including professional photographers, one of whom suggested the Lumix FZ48!! So you can appreciate my confusion when someone who has been in photography for a while completely puts a spanner in the works and suggests something completely different! :bang:

The kit I have see in budget is with Jessops - http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80640/show.html?cm_vc=PPZ3

Bep

HI - thanks for your reply. Part of me would like to stick with a Canon as I have been able to have a "hands on" experience with the same for a week or so - but then, of course, there is the changing of the lens, creating dust on the sensor, carrying it around etc.

Bep

Hi

If you were happy with your hands on experience with the Canon, then stick with it - I've had Canon for many years now and am very pleased with them.

Changing the lenses etc is part of the what a DSLR is about, don't let it worry you and the sensor is easy to clean / have cleaned if it requires it - if you are careful when / where you change a lens, then you should be fine.

Everyone is different and what suits one, does not suit another - go with what you want to go with...

With regards to this kit, personally I wouldn't go for the 75-300 lens...

The Canon 55-250IS is a belter of a lens and IMO a much better lens than the old 75-300 lens, and can be got brand new for around £140-150

If you do want the extra reach of a 300, the Canon 70-300IS is worth a look at, but does increase your budget...

Hope this is of some help...

That's a great help! Thanks so much (y) I think I shall be sticking with the canon ;)

That's a great help! Thanks so much (y) I think I shall be sticking with the canon ;)

Yes, stick with the Canon if that's what you're happy with. Pound for pound most DSLRs are very much the same, unless you want particular features like a fold-out screen or video.

If you're serious, you don't want a compact, which is what the Lumix is (glorified or otherwise). They have very small sensors that present various disadvantages when you want to get creative, plus the loss of image quality.

Echo comments about the 75-300mm. 55-250 is the better choice, but also, if you're new to all this, the basic kit lens can do a lot and will keep you busy for a while. When you've got used to that, you'll know more about what to get next - could be 55-250, or maybe a 50/1.8 (perfect for shallow- depth of field portraits of the little one, and cheap), or a flash gun, or a super-wide, or a macro. Lots of choices and you perhaps won't know which way to go at first.

Edit: check that the 18-55mm lens is the IS version, it's not clear from the ad. It's very little more money and better optically, plus it has IS of course.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy, from what I've read keep away form the 75-300, but I used to own a 55-250 and its a sterling lens for the money and I understand that the new 70-300 is very good.

As suggested watch http://www.camerapricebuster.com/.

Another good reason to go canon is if you ever get into macro they do simply the best lens - but that is a big if and if macro is of no interest then the field's wide open again :)

Oh, and don't overlook second hand - ebay can come up with some good deals if you're careful, or theres always MPB or Misfuds - but they will be body only, you'd need the lens too. MPB has a 550D at £339 which looks okay at first glance, the 18-55mm's are from £39, but most £59-69

Last edited:
This is all really helpful and appreciate all your comments. I think I shall stick with my initial thoughts and stay with teh Canon - the 550d at £339 from MPB is looking like a good deal and then perhaps buying the lens separate :eek:) Brilliant...thanks

Just to put another spanner in the works and with budget in mind - I assume I am correct in going for a 500d-550d rather than the 1100d????

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that if your friend has a Canon, you may be able to borrow lenses from time to time perhaps if you also get a Canon body? That's what I did when I first started out and it saved me from a few duff purchases.(y)

Gareth

My daughter has a 550D and 55-250mm IS (amongst others) must say I have been impressed with the photos she takes with it.

On the other hand my wife has a FZ45 which is very similar to the FZ48 and that also turns out great photos plus it has many features found on a DSLR

Depends how serious you want to get and also how much money you are willing to spend, lens buying addiction has no easy cure

Often see the comment about friends with the same make of camera lending lenses, to be honest i wouldn't be lending any of mine out and not sure many other people would either

Last edited:
...lens buying addiction has no easy cure

Often see the comment about friends with the same make of camera lending lenses, to be honest i wouldn't be lending any of mine out and not sure many other people would either

That is so true, I started with a 550D and 18-55, now look at my kit!!

As to lending, I do, but only the cheaper bits and I don't think anyone I know who has a Canon would want to play with any of my expensive bits for more than ten mins anyway, something about the price make people worried.

tijuana taxi said:

I'd agree with this and John above. I do "lend" or rather I would phrase it "let them try" my lenses with me there, might be at a race meeting for example. I don't think I'd lend out an expensive lens, but don't have any problem letting mate have a go with it.

It certainly is a big help, I've been on the other end of this, borrowed a lens - whilst the other person was there and it helped me decide to get one.

Bep82 said:
Just to put another spanner in the works and with budget in mind - I assume I am correct in going for a 500d-550d rather than the 1100d????

Personally I would say yes, I'd opt for the 500-550D over the 1000-1100D, especially as you've played / tried the 400D

You guys have been such a help! I am definitely going to stick with the canon idea - now to find the best deal either with the body and separate lens or kit!! Many thanks :eek:)

Bep82 said:
You guys have been such a help! I am definitely going to stick with the canon idea - now to find the best deal either with the body and separate lens or kit!! Many thanks :eek:)

I'd buy the body with standard kit lens (18-55IS) and compare price of the 55-250IS as part of a 2 lens kit / separately.

Good luck

Echoing what the others have said - I'd go for the 500D/550D/600D and examine the option body only + both, 1 lens kit + other & kit with both.

Camerapricebuster should help sniff out the lowest price for each alternative from UK dealers... there may be some mileage in a parallel import but that's up to you to weigh up possible savings against possible warranty arguments.

The first thing to note is that if its a "kiss" then its probably an import, in which case take a closer look at delivery, import duty etc. I did notice they give a 1 yr warrant though

gblades said:
I wouldn't buy from them. Any site which buries the fact that you are liable for the vat and customs duty in the terms and conditions small print is not worth dealing with.

Have a look at http://panamoz.com/index.php/digital-cameras/canon/canon-eos-600d-with-canon-ef-s-18-55-is-ii-canon-ef-s-55-250-is-ii-twin-lens-kit.html
Customs taxes etc... Are included so will work out cheaper than the price you found.

Another thumbs for panamoz I just bought a 60d body and siggy 150-500 ordered it fri evening arrived Wednesday only extra expense was delivery charge but they knocked a tenner off that!! Best price I found!!!

I have found this deal?! Although notice is says "kiss" X4 550d!

http://digidealsdirect.com/uk/dslr-...-x4-550d-twin-kit-18-55mm-is-55-250mm-is.html

It's the same camera, but Canon calls them Kiss in Asia, and Rebel in the US. Quite a few manufacturers change the model names in different countries, intended to discourage buying from outside your area.

It gives them an instant ID if the camera is sent for warranty work, and in practise, it will reduce the used value considerably (though the products are identical).

Found a second hand Canon 450d on Ebay with lens, battery, original box, hood, filter etc. Reason for selling is due to an upgrade. Stated to be in excellent condition - would accept £275.00 cash. Would you buy from an Ebay seller without warranties? It seems like a good deal?

Hi Bep,

You can find great deals on ebay, but I believe it would be better if you looked at TP Classifieds, because you can find even better deals since there are no fees involved. ;)

Good luck to your search.

Last edited:
It's that 25 post and 60 day rule that is stopping me!! AGH

You seem like you've made your mind up regarding Canon and its probably an excellent decision, however I'd still be tempted to go and have a look and feel at other makes just in case they feel better to hold/use etc

the other main make is Nikon but then there's others to consider Sony, panasonic, fujifilm etc

Also what about the 4/3 system ?

whatever you choose have fun

You will have to bear with me....I have no idea what the 4/3 system is?!

Whatever make you buy, I think it is worth keeping in miund that you are buying into a system. Unlike with a compact the story ends there, with a SLR the body is just the start. Think about the sort of photography you do and may want to do in the future. Check to see if suitable lenses etc are available for your chosen make.

Sony for instance uses the smaller minolta hotshoe mount for it flash. You would need an adapter to use 'standard' flash triggers in a studio.

4/3 uses a sensor that is 4/3rds the size of a full frame (36mm x 24mm) sensor. This means that your megapixels are all squished into a smaller area so leading to potentially poorer quality images.

4/3 uses a sensor that is 4/3rds the size of a full frame (36mm x 24mm) sensor. This means that your megapixels are all squished into a smaller area

4/3 = 1.33 (ie. bigger than a whole one)

In reality a 4/3 sensor is 17.3x13mm (call it 225sqmm for cash) compared to an APS-C (22.2x14.8 - 329sqmm) and "full frame" (36x24mm - 864sqmm)

The 4/3 refers to the aspect ratio (4 wide, 3 high) as opposed to most of the others that are 3:2 (3 wide, 2 high)

Go into Jessops or Curry's and handle them. If you like Canon gear then find one cheaper elsewhere, you may find that you prefer Nikon or Sony however. There's no great differences feature wise but only you know what feels right in your hands, as mentioned earlier you will probably be buying into a manufacturers system so make sure it's the right one.

Alan

4/3 = 1.33 (ie. bigger than a whole one)

In reality a 4/3 sensor is 17.3x13mm (call it 225sqmm for cash) compared to an APS-C (22.2x14.8 - 329sqmm) and "full frame" (36x24mm - 864sqmm)

The 4/3 refers to the aspect ratio (4 wide, 3 high) as opposed to most of the others that are 3:2 (3 wide, 2 high)

Spot the dozy moment. :bonk::bonk:Thanks for setting that straight. Shows how much misinformation can be innocently dished out on these forums.

So - I have had my Canon 450d with kit lens for a month now and it has not left my hands! I am wanting to purchase another lens and I know in this thread it was suggested I get the 55-250IS MKII. I am really into portrait photography in and outdoors - is this still the lens that I should be looking to get?

Thanks all ;)

Also, a 50mm 1.8 is a superb lens. Great in low light and really lovely bokeh and shots with it.

So - I have had my Canon 450d with kit lens for a month now and it has not left my hands! I am wanting to purchase another lens and I know in this thread it was suggested I get the 55-250IS MKII. I am really into portrait photography in and outdoors - is this still the lens that I should be looking to get?

Thanks all ;)

There are no rules, but most folks would go for something around 50-80mm or so for portraits, on a crop format camera. Your kit lens is quite capable, as would be the 55-250.

Suggestion of the 50 1.8 is a good one, as it's around the right focal length and a) very cheap, and b) has a very low f/number for shallow depth of field effects that are popular with portraits. You won't get that with any zoom.

That's great - I think I will definitely look into getting the 50 1.8 as it sounds like a good one for my interest! Would it be silly of me to get the 55-250 as well?

Bep82 said:
That's great - I think I will definitely look into getting the 50 1.8 as it sounds like a good one for my interest! Would it be silly of me to get the 55-250 as well?

No not silly at all, go for it :)

What a great thread this is! I will be sure to came back here and read up again on the advice!

Back