Plymouth Alternative Convention -- A few Steam Punkers

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
The Alternative Convention at Plymouth Guildhall. The lighting was atrocious so the ISO has been pushed and things are not as sharp as they could be but I hate using flash if I can possibly avoid it.

For people like me, who are a little reticent about asking people for photographs, I suggest you attend functions like this as folk are more than happy to stop and pose for you, no questions asked.

Father and daughter, I think...

AltConvention by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

...and this, I believe, is mother -- the woman, not the dragon. The background has been blurred using Lightroom's new Early- Access Blur Feature.

AltConvention-2 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Don't know if you can see but the girl has vampire teeth.

AltConvention-3 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

A set of steam punk goggles.

AltConvention-4 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

A very buxom young lady, there were a lot of them about.

AltConvention-5 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Man on stilts.

AltConvention-6 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

She was a lovely lady. Her costume was all made with a design of maps, even her bag on the right. The man behind is her husband, as you can see, he didn't exactly join in with the fun, but at least, I suppose, he was there.

AltConvention-7 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice Martin.
These steam punks can certainly be inventive.

I don't really get steam punk. But it's certainly colourful.

I don't really get steam punk. But it's certainly colourful.

Not sure I do but they are a very friendly bunch of people and very photogenic.

Thats a very nice set.

There is an interesting wider debate to be had there as some in these communities are getting bored of it : https://www.whitbygothweekend.co.uk/faq/

I’m a hobby photographer who’s looking to take some interesting photos of visitors to the town. Is there anything I need to know?
Many Goths are becoming increasingly despondent at the sheer number of photographers visiting the event, and it sometimes seems that there are more photographers than attendees. Here are a few pointers to ensure everyone has a more positive experience:
1. St Mary’s Church have installed a sign requesting that people do not use the graves or gravestones for photographic purposes. As well as finding it incredibly disrespectful both WGW and the Church are very mindful of the Health and Safety implications of these 200 year old grave sites which are subject to subsidence and are consequently cracked and broken.
2. Please don’t assume all Goths are attention seeking exhibitionists. Despite what you may assume from their appearance many don’t wish to have their photograph taken. Please ask the subject before taking the shot

I also have got the impression Comic-Cons NEC weekend being moved to a different weekend from the photography show wasn’t an accident.

A very nice set Martin.

Thank you, I enjoyed taking them.
There is an interesting wider debate to be had there as some in these communities are getting bored of it : https://www.whitbygothweekend.co.uk/faq/

I’m a hobby photographer who’s looking to take some interesting photos of visitors to the town. Is there anything I need to know?
Many Goths are becoming increasingly despondent at the sheer number of photographers visiting the event, and it sometimes seems that there are more photographers than attendees. Here are a few pointers to ensure everyone has a more positive experience:
1. St Mary’s Church have installed a sign requesting that people do not use the graves or gravestones for photographic purposes. As well as finding it incredibly disrespectful both WGW and the Church are very mindful of the Health and Safety implications of these 200 year old grave sites which are subject to subsidence and are consequently cracked and broken.
2. Please don’t assume all Goths are attention seeking exhibitionists. Despite what you may assume from their appearance many don’t wish to have their photograph taken. Please ask the subject before taking the shot

I also have got the impression Comic-Cons NEC weekend being moved to a different weekend from the photography show wasn’t an accident.

When I went to the Convention yesterday, I made an effort to dress a little differently too so as not to alarm the natives, not on the scale that the above characters did, but I did wear shorts, a waistcoat, pocket watch and chain, I have odd socks and a blue beard too (although these last two are full-time lifestyle choices). I asked everyone of them if it was OK to take their photograph and no one refused or seemed remotely annoyed. Perhaps it's just at Goth meetings that there are a lot of photographers because yesterday I was the only one with a 'real' camera. I felt very comfortable amongst these people and am kind of considering getting a bit more into it, both for photographic and for personal interest purposes; we'll see. One thing I did note is that there appear to be no age barriers to steam punk, there are both young and very old people involved.

Back