Pocketwizard update to "e" version

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Just updated my Pocketwizards Plus iii to "e". I thought the promise of more range etc may be worth it for under £20 for the pair. If anyone else does it you need to wait for their database to be updated as it isn't instant on payment. My email got a quick reply and the issue was sorted in good time though and the update through the utility is very easy. The only change that is obvious to me is that the signal on the RX is solid when you press the test button rather than flickering. The lights are different when you switch them on too with red and green flashes.

I got my first use of a remote image on Saturday so hoping to build on that and will definitely be using them at swimming in a couple of weeks. I was using a foot peddle at the weekend but might move to shooting mechanical shutter on the 70-200mm so I can shoot without a cable straight from the hot shoe like DSLR user do. The peddle worked fine but between changing from the 400mm to the smaller lens and pressing a pedal it was just too many thing going on for me and I missed a couple of goals due to not hitting the peddle.

That would be a mistake, especially if you are using different bodies.
Keep the cable, even when it is on camera.
Is that due to the different FPS.
I just did a test and you are spot on. The difference is dramatic. Without a cable there was a 1/10th of a second delay and it was shooting around 5fps with the main body shooting mechanical at 10fps. With a cable on both cameras the remote matches the 20fps of the main camera and shooting a stopwatch with both cameras they are exactly the same to 1/1000th second.
Cheers for the tip. I'll give the cables a go but I need to look for 90 degree adapters as they are pretty much guaranteed to come out on the main camera. Possibly a job for Gaffa tape

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
It's the way that PW's handle the signal.

When it's in the hotshoe then signal pulses with the shutter release.

The signal from the N3 port is constant when the shutter release is pressed.

If you try both and watch the TX or RX you will see the difference as the signal indicator pulses from the shoe or stays constant from the cable.

With different FPS speeds it makes a huge difference and prevents dropped frames.

It's the way that PW's handle the signal.

When it's in the hotshoe then signal pulses with the shutter release.

The signal from the N3 port is constant when the shutter release is pressed.

If you try both and watch the TX or RX you will see the difference as the signal indicator pulses from the shoe or stays constant from the cable.

With different FPS speeds it makes a huge difference and prevents dropped frames.
Must be the same on Sony cameras too. I noticed the difference in the lights when I was testing. Thanks for your help as ever. Quite impressive that the two cameras were in sync to a 1/1000th of a second despite being different bodies(A9 and A9ii). I wonder if there is any sort of delay when the remote is 20 or 30 yards away.

Back