Pointless kit

Edit My Images
Yes
What’s the most pointless piece of photography equipment you have bought? When I say pointless I don’t mean in the sense that its useless for what it was designed for, rather that it’s useless to your needs.

For me, I bought a cheap macro slide rail off ebay, it’s too much hassle and I never use it, thankfully it was cheap.

Second one has been a Lee filter holder and a couple of ND grads. I love walking and being outdoors and have always enjoyed landscape photography. Naturally the fantastic photographs associated with Filters and the Lee brand convinced me I needed them in my life. So far the odd occasion that I have had to use them has been disappointing, the weather is never right, I don’t get to good places at the right time and this year has seen me do next to no walking. That’s a few hundred quid sat on a shelf gathering dust.

What about you?

Similar for me... a filter holder and filters. I'm sure that they're lovely things but they take time to fit and use and as a result I hardly use them and in fact I probably haven't used them for ten years.

Another thing I don't use is my Lowepro backpack. I prefer to go out with just the camera and one lens and as a result it sits in a drawer in as new condition.

Bought a Canon 430 exII flash and never used it in anger

Doubly stupid seeing as I bought and sold an earlier 430 mkI for the very same reason

Must mean I am just not a flasher

Gary Fong light sphere, battery grip for camera, cheap tripod (the tripod was years ago).

Me too, Jessops own brand-load of CARP :nuts:

Les (y)

A pointy bit for the end of my monopod to stick in the ground.... bought last yr.. still in packet.

A third party battery for a canon 1dmkII that let moist into the chamber and took me weeks to understand why the camera cut out.. even when i put the canon battery in.. moist alrady in chamber by then... took ages to figure out the 3rd party battery wasn't sealing the camera..

I second the Gary Fong, but also the poundland NIMH rechargeable AA's, 3 blew up in the charger and that was on 120mah trickle charge! And a HAMA tripod that supposedly had a weight handling of 8KG's, tried that with a 1D2 and 300mm F4L and you can imagine what happened :( It's now used as a speedlight stand!

Similar for me... a filter holder and filters. I'm sure that they're lovely things but they take time to fit and use and as a result I hardly use them and in fact I probably haven't used them for ten years.

Another thing I don't use is my Lowepro backpack. I prefer to go out with just the camera and one lens and as a result it sits in a drawer in as new condition.

Yes, I find them to be a pain.:thumbsdown:

Mainly filters over the years never got round to using them much,havnt brought one in ages.
Used to have a big Cokin set :)

White Balance card. I bought it from 7dayshop, it's stayed firmly in my cupboard of doom. I shoot RAW anyway and it's just a faff to carry around and get out. I have one of those WB lens caps now for if I want to take a quick reading to get it close. Otherwise I just sort it out in PP.

a desktop tripod thing. was a bargain when dixons closed down. spend a while in my bag without ever been used, then was relegated to the drawer...

Battery grip. Used it once.

A couple of cheap diffusers that were just awful, ended up making better ones out of cardboard, tin-foil and some white cloth.

Battery grip, just made a big bulky camera bigger and bulkier. Used once at sisters wedding then ditched.

Umbrellas for indoor portrait shots that never happened

Lightweight cheap shop brand tripods for off camera flash holders and the above mentioned umbrellas.
I'm sure there have been lots of other gadgets that have ended up in the bin.

I've honestly used everything that I've got.

Im sooner or later going to get a colour checker passport. Mainly because I never can get the colours right and am partially lazy in post.

Maybe my old hama tripod is my most useless item. Falls over with a 7d + 50mm attached.
Upgraded to a 055xprob and just use the old one for a speedlight stand if needed.

About 25yrs ago - a Novoflex trigger-operated follow-focus shoulder stock with I think it was 400 & 600mm lens heads.

Think I used it for one photo.

Camera :D

I would say all things macro.....raynox 250....set of tubes....... had fun very briefly then hired a 100 ISL for a week and that made me realise if macro need the lens :D funds have always made me resist :)

Screw in grad filter now that was a waste of money and time :D

Last edited:
This thread could end up with its own classified section :naughty:;):LOL:

Lee big stopper and foundation kit, used once so sold it on and lost £50 :puke:

Mines probably the Gorilla pod.. got the heaviest duty one they did.. and it will would not hold my old D200 up :(
despite being told it would hold it up!

I dont even know where it got relegated to now!!!

That and a set of Cokin filters and holder and adapters (p series)
I dont want to get rid.. but dont use them, if you know what i mean!!

I bought a Monopod many years ago and may have used it once or twice. :bonk: I can't remember. :LOL:

Me too - prefer to find something to lean on.

Flanged M42 adaptors for using M42 lenses on my EOS DSLRs. An itch scratched but I never use them.

Last edited:
Samyang 8mm fisheye - used it once, haven't touched it since

My flash gels are still in the sealed packet and my second flashgun has been used maybe 3 times.

The 70-200 F4 hardly ever makes an appearance anymore too. With the lens hood attached its like having another arm, I hate how long it is. This thread may well be the push that sees it going in the classifieds.

Another monopod here, bought it 4 years ago and have never used it. I bought a reversing ring for my nifty fifty off eBay about a week before I moved to Nikon, never used it although for £2 I'm not really complaining. I have a waterproof camera cover that cost about £60 and whenever I have it in the bag it stays dry so it never gets used, it's very effective!!

Back