Polish SU-22

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Polish SU-22
Poland are the only European Country to still fly the SU-22, they are stationed at Swidwin the 21st Tactical Air Base. The last time a "Fitter" (nickname) flew at the Royal International Air Tattoo was back in 1995 when the Czech Air Force displayed their craft. The SU-22 is a veteran of the Cold War and its great to see that some have survived the times and are still flying.

su-22 by Nivvy2010, on Flickr

I enjoyed seeing them at RIAT this year, my first visit. I couldn't believe the noise, they were epic! Lovely shot, super sharp.

I particularly enjoyed the bits of commentary I heard during the display. The commentator made a slightly 'sniffy' comment to the Polish Air Force chap he had with him to talk about the aircraft, suggesting they were rather old, dirty, outdated aircraft in this modern world. The Polish chap's response was that they are capable of carrying 4 tonnes of explosives each and however you look at it, that's going to make a big hole somewhere.

Last edited:
Good shot Kevin (y) I'm another fan of these two old Polish jets, enjoyed watching them at Fairford miself last year :)

Nice.
(Fitter is a NATO reporting name, not a nickname. All Soviet Aircraft had them the first letter donating what sort of aircraft they are. F = Fighter, as in Fitter, Foxbat. B=Bomber, eg Bear, Blinder. C= Communication/transport eg Cooker, Cock)

Back