Pontsticill Reservoir

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
So me and my buddy went here Pontsticill reservoir yesterday to see if we could get a sunrise image. Arrived at the end of dawn but a hill and cloud cover meant no sunrise but managed to grab these. We later skirted off to Brecon where I put the new 18-135mm through its paces (pics later) and it's a great lens!

Sigma 10-20mm
Pontsticill Reservoir by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Pentax 18-135mm

Far too many to expect any meaningful critique on, but my favourite is the zoomed in shot of the building at the end of the walkway. That is a perfect example of how the right light is needed to transform a landscape from pretty to magical.

Great set of images Gareth, all very nice and well composed with #1 and the mono image being my fav's.(y)

George.

Great set Gareth. No2 is my favourite. Colours and Tone look spot on for that type of image.

Good Work

For me the Mono is the stand out picture, it brings far more drama to the scene,--that said I feel there is more in there that could be bought out that could take it it to another level.

Geoff

Thanks all :)

@LongLensPhotography - It's taken me a while to reply to your comment. Yes, I did add some clarity and contrast, mainly to the water, the other areas of the images didn't get a lot of processing done to them, although 1 and 5 I did brighten the greens in the field. Bit unsportsmanlike to say they were pushed too far, you don't like them I get it but comments like that don't really help. Appreciate they may not be to everyone's likes but hey, that's photography I suppose and we agree to disagree.

I thought my no.2 image had a similar look to your 'Still Clevedon?

Having said that your Flickr photostream is lovely and I'm now following your work

I do feel Long Lens has a point about the clarity and contrast. It depends on your style though, you may like that appearance and that's ok, but I doubt it would find success if you entered the prestigious competitions which prefer a more natural approach

A lot of experts say never use an effect at or close to 100%. Clarity sliders are best between -5 - +25% range in Lightroom and almost certainly all other suites. You can get away with a little more tweaking in mono conversions which is why I have to agree with Geoff that is the best one.

Back