Portable storage

- I was looking earlier this year for a portable storage system and concluded the Hyperdrive Colorspace was the best value, with the idea of using it to store the large video / raw / photo files generated by the Canon 5D II - well it will back up practically anything as it is file format independent able to backup all kinds of files from 18 different card types with no card adapters required. Its high resolution 2.2" colour LCD can display a full screen image (raw as well).

This thread reminded me that due to a continuing arm injury I am not using the 5D II and so have only used the Hyperdrive once to test out its transfer speed and it has remained stored in its box. I have just put it up for sale..... Thanks for the reminder.

When I did my test, as it says on the box it transfers about 1gb in a minute, so is ideal as I intended to use it to backup or transfer data from cards out on location – it says you can transfer up to 120gb on a single battery charge. It also comes with a car battery charger adapter which gives you greater flexibility.

Another vote for the Hyperdrive.

I like to take two forms of portable backup with me on trips - A netbook and a Hyperdrive Colorspace. There's a Hyperdrive in the Buy and Sell Forum now.

Using multiple cards really isn't an economic solution. 250GB of cards is going to cost around £2500!!! Cards are only economically viable if you're talking about less than 40GB

I have an Epson P2000. Great screen, but intolerably slow. Really, it takes forever to download, and scrolling through images to view/edit drives you mad.

I do my quick editing/deleting on the camera LCD, and only use the P2000 for storage. However, I believe the newer versions are much faster, but very expensive.

Edit: sorry Johnny.

Is it a good idea storing all your data on a single HD on a trip?

If it were me I'd need dual HD for backup

that being the case cf cards still make a lot of sense cost wise, you spread your pics over lots of different cards

guess it depends how many GB u need, extreme III are £4/GB approx

anyways, beware using single HD, they DO go bang now and again :)

Is it a good idea storing all your data on a single HD on a trip?

If it were me I'd need dual HD for backup

That's why I use a Hyperdrive and a netbook.

extreme III are £4/GB approx

Well, £5 is a bit more realistic. Even at £4 per GB, the 60GB I shot on holiday would cost me £240 - not much less than a Hyperdrive or a netbook. And that means I've got to use slow cards.

Back