Portrait Equipment?

Name
Kira
Edit My Images
No
Hey everyone.

Ive been looking at some stuff to buy to get my own little white background type thing for portrait photos. Has anyone got any advice on what stuff to get? Like Ive seen a photovinal backdrop for £100, is that any good? And Any tips on lighting?

:shrug:

Have you got some decent studio lighting? This would be my first port of call

No I haven't, I wanted some advice on what to get. Im only just about to start working again next week after being made redundant 2 months ago so I have very little money at the moment. But keep being asked by people to take photos of them. Im only just starting out so Im not very good and don't charge anything as I just think its all good practice. So far Ive only done 3 people and they were all outside as I love the natural light. But I really want some stuff to set up like a little studio and have a go at that. I'm looking at a backdrop stand at the moment but just wanted some advice/tips/suggestions for anything I can use, and what equipment to get?

Thanks =)

A backdrop and stands are pretty much useless if you dont have the right light to shine on them, especially if you are going for the white background look.
If money is tight and you can cope with the natural light/outdoors look then stick to that until you do have some spare cash but I really wouldnt expect great results just by buying a background with no light.
Even if you have a couple of speedguns then this would be a start

I completely agree that a background is no use without the lights, especially trying to do white background stuff. Doing outside stuff with natural light or even with a single flash would probably be the way to go. If you have a few people interested in studio shots then have a look at hiring a studio for a couple of hours - it will give you a feel for what you'd need to buy to make it work and also allow you to get some nice studio shots for the portfolio.

depending on the type of portrait work you want to do... but if you can accept coloured/blurred/sets (around the house, anywhere really) then 2 or 3 speedguns would be perfect. Just add a couple of adjustable stands and diffusers so you move and soften the light.

You would get a really good shot with 1 light as long as you use it well.
Garry Edwards really is your man for lighting, he has posted some good advice on here in the past so look at some of his previous posts for starters (and his website too)

Back