Portrait Lighting Tutorial (Video)

Name
Keith Fuller
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone. I've learned a ton about photography on the internet - mostly from forums and YouTube, so I thought I'd help contribute to the wealth of knowledge out there with a tutorial -

It starts by using one light for a portrait and then slowly buildings up until there are four lights and two reflectors. It's a very versatile progression of lighting setups that can be used in a great deal of situations.

This is my first video like this, so I know there is plenty of room for improvement (including audio). Any constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks.​

I'm a complete beginner so thank you for doing the video!

I think because I'm a beginner I'd need to watch it a few times as it moves quite quickly for me. I'd love to see an explanation on different lighting like Rembrandt ie how you can easily tell which is which on the model - maybe even with you in the video pointing out what to look for and how you move the light around to achieve different effects. Your lighting diagrams are great - I'd still like a pull back of the real life set up - I think it would explain things to me easier.

Everyone has different levels of knowledge. This comes from someone with none! Your images are beautiful. I'm feeling inspired to get the kit out and try again tonight :). Thanks, Keith.

Nice one Keith. Didn't get to watch it all but I'll have a look later.

I'm a complete beginner so thank you for doing the video!

I think because I'm a beginner I'd need to watch it a few times as it moves quite quickly for me. I'd love to see an explanation on different lighting like Rembrandt ie how you can easily tell which is which on the model - maybe even with you in the video pointing out what to look for and how you move the light around to achieve different effects. Your lighting diagrams are great - I'd still like a pull back of the real life set up - I think it would explain things to me easier.

Everyone has different levels of knowledge. This comes from someone with none! Your images are beautiful. I'm feeling inspired to get the kit out and try again tonight :). Thanks, Keith.

Thanks for the kind words. I actually just saw a video today on YouTube from SLR Lounge that goes through some of the basic lighting positions. Rembrandt is just when you have the light at roughly 45 degree from the face and titled 45 degrees down. It lights one side of the face and puts a triangle of light on the other cheek. It typically adds a little more drama to a shot, but you can lessen it by filling in the shadow on the other side.

Hi Keith

Just thought i'd say thank you for the video. You have a good clear way of delivering the info. I was pointed to the video as I had posted in another section on here looking for advice.

Gaz

Cracking video Keith. It really helps that you've included the diagram as you explain. Some videos don't show it so obviously so we have to guess.

Nice job, enjoyed the video. Thought it was pretty informative, got the points across in a short time frame without being boring. Good comparisons to highlight the changes each time you added a light or reflector.

Super video I really enjoyed it and learned a lot, many thanks for taking the time to create it.

Back