Portrait montage - trying some new software

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought the Gary Fong Digital Album and Collage Designer this morning, primarily for portraits and weddings etc. This is my first quick and rough attempt with a few images from the other day and the software is relatively easy to use (so far!) and I'm thinking of producing a couple of montages like this to show to prospective customers.

There are many options including adding text etc. What do you reckon as a first attempt? Do you think it would appeal to clients, personally I think it would, particularly with kids and animal protraits.

Zeus-Montage2.jpg

One word : Yes.

My first reaction was that it's a little bit cheesy - but if that was my kid, my horse, my wife or whatever in the shots, I think I'd rather like it. I think the sort of customers I serve for kids parties would love this, too. Following the same design you could replace the large one of Zeus with the birthday boy, have a big general party shot in the background, and have some "action" shots on the film strip - brill!

edit : it is quite pricey though. Is there a demo?

I think they look great. :clap:

Hoodi said:
One word : Yes.

My first reaction was that it's a little bit cheesy - but if that was my kid, my horse, my wife or whatever in the shots, I think I'd rather like it. I think the sort of customers I serve for kids parties would love this, too.

Exactly! What we see as photographers is completely different to what the customer sees, we always look with a critical eye at colour, composition etc but that is not what they see.

Anyway, nothing wrong with cheesy! :D

Hacker said:
Exactly! What we see as photographers is completely different to what the customer sees, we always look with a critical eye at colour, composition etc but that is not what they see.

Anyway, nothing wrong with cheesy! :D

I think you have hit the nail on the head. My wife often looks at some the horse shots I do and praises the ones I think are naff - she looks at it in a different way. I reckon this is pretty good for a first attempt on new software.

All the best,

Bob

My wife has just come in, seen this and fallen in love. She wants a big print and wants to show it to her mates, the same ones I'm doing a yard shoot for. The master plan is coming together. :D

Ace!
I'm getting mighty tempted to buy this... Although mebbe after the christening I'm shooting on Sunday :)

Hacker said:
My wife has just come in, seen this and fallen in love. She wants a big print and wants to show it to her mates, the same ones I'm doing a yard shoot for. The master plan is coming together. :D
Well done, :clap:
I can see this one being popular with the horsey crowd!

Montages can look great and be lots of fun, but there's nothing there that can't be done very easily in PS, PSP et al.

Montage.jpg

I suppose if it speeds up the process and you get some special effects, it could be worth it, but I'd be very loathe to spend money on this. :puke:

Keltic Ice Man said:
CT - how do you get the back picture to look fainter than the others? do you fancy doing a quick list of what you did or a tutorial for some of us beginners?

Good work CT, I can see a long tutorial appearing in this thread quite soon..:nuts:

Hacker, Another vote here.. Cheesy or not I like it..(y)

got my vote too, the punters will love it!

Keltic Ice Man said:
CT - how do you get the back picture to look fainter than the others? do you fancy doing a quick list of what you did or a tutorial for some of us beginners?

I used PSP but it's pretty much the same in CS2 I think.

I reduced the opacity of the picture. You can only apply opacity to a layer, so you can't just apply it to your original background shot. You need to make it into a layer. There's a few ways you can go about it but the easiest is probably:-

Open your chosen background pic. From the drop down Edit menu select Cut which copies the image to memory, (or to Clipboard depending how you prefer to think about it) leaving you with an empty picture. You need to select a suitable colour for this empty frame as you're going to paste your pic back in later and when you reduce the opacity you need a colour underneath which isn't going to affect the colours in your original shot. White is probably the safest colour unless you're after a particular effect.

So make this a pure white plain pic by using the white fill tool on 100% opacity or just by selecting white as the background colour.

Make sure the image is flattened by going to the Layers menu and selecting Merge All or Flatten depending on which software you're using.

Now go to Edit and select Paste As A New Layer (not a selection) This pastes your picture back over the top of the white background but as a floating layer which can be moved around, although you don't want to move it.

Go to The Layers menu and select Layer Properties. This brings up a box with a number of controls. You'll see one of them is Opacity. Reduce the opacity of your picture by using the slider or entering a numeric amount. (50% etc). When you're happy with the amount of opacity go up to the Layers menu again and flatten the picture. This merges your layer with the background.

Select the pics you want to post onto this background. The ones I used were initially all the same size as the background. I just reduced them to 30% of the original size. Copy these pics into memory one at a time by using Edit/Cut, and paste each one onto your background pic as a new layer You now have three floating layers which you can drag around, rotate and arrange as you wish. By going to the Layers menu and selecting Arrange Layers you can move these pics up or down (below or above) in relation to each other. Make sure the layer you want to move is selected as the active layer.

Once you're happy with the arrangement of your pics. Go to the Effects menu and select Drop Shadow with opens a control box where you can select the direction, size, opacity, colour etc, for your shadow. Black usually works best. Apply the drop shadow to each of the three smaller pics in turn, selecting each pic as the active layer before you do so.

Finally go to the Layer menu and flatten your pic. That's it... don't forget to save it and with a different file name if you don't want to overwrite your original background pic. You can add text if you wish using the Text menu.

It's a lot easier and quicker to do it than describe it, and you're only really limited by your imagination. ;)

Hacker said:

I reckon you can stop putting the lottery numbers on fairly soon the way your workload is increasing! :clap:

Back