Portrait PP help

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Right a friend of mine has asked me to do some photos of her for her boyfriend, she's making him a birthday card and wants her pic on the front.

The guitar was his so has sentimental value, here are a few 'test shots' I asked if she wanted me to do some test shots to see if she liked the way I took her picture and she came back dolled up with props :D

We are planning on shooting her with a sunset (again sentimental that's how he taught her to play) either tomorrow (wed) or Thursday, we are also going out tomorrow morning to take some photo's as she liked what I was taking but decided the background was a problem, we were using a halls room and corridor.

Here's a selection of images, criticise the posing and composition as well as the photo generally.
Also I think they may look a bit orange, and yes the white background is a bedsheet ;)

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

Also any tips for shooting this kinda thing outside? I guess I will need fill flash, I have a speedlight and radio triggers but no brollies, the only light modifiers I have are diff kinds of bounce card, I shot most of the above with either a featherlight or straight wall bounce.

Last edited:
bump, comeon guys less than 40 views in 18 hours, and its kinda time sensitive, with new developments I may have to go with one of these with more PP not sure.

You've pointed out the main problem - the background. And that's not going to be an issue. The poses look nice and unforced to me - she looks really comfortable. I guess you should just do the same again and have some fun. Better qualified portrait folk than me could advise on the rest.

I presume you're going outside for the sunset -- what's the forecast like and do you have a plan B?

There's always a lot more views then comments - people dont have anything to say some of the time...

I think it would work better as silhouetted images if you're using the sunset, you'll get a nice mix of oranges/reds/yellows and black. It'll be more effective and probably a more romantic setting.

Last edited:
Try outside, near a tree or something, shoot RAW and warm it up a bit to give a nice autumn effect, i think that could look quite good with the guitar.

It might be just the resizing of the shots, but to my eyes they all look like the focus is out. They all look focused on the girls chest and not her face. :shrug:

Hi

Very pretty girl, to add the the replies, I think the white balance is out too.

Lisa

today was the day we were going, had checked the weather and had plan B. Went with plan B see piccies below.
The pics I have shown are her faveroutes from everything we shot and I would like specific advice on how to edit them. I have changed the crops on some of the more troublesome backgrounds to hopefully bring her to the fore.
All the editing I have done is in RAW editor so no proper PS - but I have a hate-hate relationship with PS

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

6 is her favorite (though that changes pretty often) I prefer 1 and 2.
These are to be printed on a card so I think the composition and pose are probably more important than the fine details, but I still want to deliver the best photo's I can.

Cheers for all your help guys

@ icecavern, I was focusing on the eyes the whole time, hopefully its the resizing, I don't want to give the wrong impression to her :confused:

@lisa, yeah whitebalance is miles out, not sure how i missed that much

@Jayeshpp and blue eagle, the original plan was a grassy slightly hilly bit with the sunset behind her and a fill flash off to the side with a featherlight, clouds scuppered it ***, so went out in dark and found trees and steps and stuff to use instead - also didn't mean to sound petulant about replies, was surprised at the lack of views, my fault for choosing a dull title I suppose

No 6 is the one all the way - fills the frame well, nicely posed and she looks more relaxed there than any of the others. Tidy up that bg and lose some of the creases and the job's done.

brilliant, I shall probably go for 6 then, how would you advise sorting out the bg? It was VERY short notice, about half an hour from her mentioning it at dinner to that shot and it is my bedsheet taped to the wall :confused:

Give her a bit of flattering soft focus - she'll love you for it. ;)

3291090893_23b965e5d3_o.jpg

I'd just try for a uniform grey bg - so just get rid of the folds. If you're really struggling I'll sort it for you tomorrow, but you can do it.

pretty sure I know how to do the background (someone in the PP forum told me) how did you do that soft focus it looks nice?
I shall hit PS and see is there is a sensible looking filter that does it

Download Virtual Photographer - it's a freebie plugin. Yoiu just need to install it into the plugins folder in your editing programme. It has lots of effects you can try.

If you're stuffed for time you can use this file. As long as you don't print any larger than this for it should be fine for a card.

3292658790_24eafcc4b8_o.jpg

Great work David, enhanced by the very talented CT. Love the Soft Focus edit.

The outdoor shots work better for me. I think the poses in the others work, but it's just the colouring for me, seems too dark I think x

tbh it was more her work and CT's than mine, though I do think that soft focus end result is very nice, just trying to emulate it using either built it filters or the ones in virtual photographer.
Got the background as i like it is just the soft focus thing i'm working on atm

Thanks all (especially CT) I sorted the print out (it came out v nicely) and she loved it, couldn't have done it without you, much appreciated

If you're going for number 6, then I would get rid of the little hanging strap on her top. It's not something she'll notice now, but it's something you'll both notice in the future and it'll niggle you!

Some good shots there, but I would've tried to make sure her hair wasn't hanging over her eyes in so many of them. And I would've been inclined to get more of the guitar in shot.

EDIT - Just noticed you've printed it already, so too late! Never mind!

I have done a rough edit. I was a bit limited by not having the full size original but you get the idea. If you want me to work on the original just pm me and I will give you my email so you can email it to me.

girl_with_guitar.jpg

DAM I just saw that strap, on the print it didn't notice (its half A4 made into a card)
Thanks for the edit and the looks both of you
PS dam you Aimee :D

Back