Portraits critique please

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd be really happy with these. The processing is excellent. I really like this kind of look. The focus is good and I like the composition of all but #4. The gates are too distracting for. Others may disagree though.

Good work!

I actually love the one with the gate the most, above all the others. The processing and tones are lovely in the ones that are cropped in closer, but I don't feel the full length ones work as well with this treatment since they're not such an apparent shallow depth of field.

I am no expert by any means and only take photos as a hobby so please take my comments purely on face value but as the forum is encouraging people to say more than I like them, I will have a try :)
That said I will say I like your images and find them all pleasing to view exposed and focused well
1. I like pose and the composition within the frame like the how background as fallen to darkness.Feels a bit cold but I guess it was :)
2.Really liked the posing/idea but felt it needed some negative space to one side. My weakest of the set (sorry)
3.Like the eye contact and composition.
4.Really liked this one nice compositon with the gate out of focus and background blured too,opened gate looking back. (Favouite)
5.Again like the pose/setting also like the road winding out to the side gives a nice balance to the image.

Great little set in my eyes.

Gaz

Very nicely done #1 & 4 for me.(y)

Thank you all for the constructive critique I always like to here how others see my images I sometimes stare at them much I start to wonder,

Gaz: as regards number 2 now that you have mentioned it I see it too, it would look better with a negative space and shot in landscape, it was shot in portrait position tho, all the images have had very little cropping as I'm try to get right inn camera, all taken using a prime lens, thanks for the level if detail tho :)

No 4 for me. Unusual, great eye contact, nice creamy bokeh.

I really like 1 and 4. What does 4 look like cropped square so that the big gatepost on the left is out of the shot? As it is a bit bright I find it attracts attention away from the subject a bit too much.

I like the colour treatment on these. Very nice for wintery shots.

Liking the PP Nice set love the use of the gates to lead into the shot , I do have a slight issue with the 1st image a tad too much dead space to left of shot

I've added an edit to show what I mean - might be my own personal preference though- I think the crop suits the shot

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking the PP Nice set love the use of the gates to lead into the shot , I do have a slight issue with the 1st image a tad too much dead space to left of shot

I've added an edit to show what I mean - might be my own personal preference though- I think the crop suits the shot

Les ;)

I do like the crop you've done and agree it does look like a slight improvement, when I crop my images I always try and keep to the original ratio for printing purposes tho, made the mistake of doing Shoot for some friends and I'd cropped them all different sizes ( inexperienced at the time) and when they had the printed they were a right mess

These are great! 1 & 3 are my faves but I too would have liked less space on the left of the 1st image so really like the crop that Les has done.

A lovely set of images, really like the processing. There seems to be a trend of this type of processing on a few sets on here, the bold colours are there! but are ever so slightly toned down.

1. Love the pose and the completely obliterated creamy background, haven't got the foggiest what the background is. The bright green line to the left is slightly distracting and I must admit that I prefer idea of Lez325's crop, but like you said it needs to be the same ratio as originally took. So more dead space to the right to even the balance. It also appears to have a slight colour cast to it and tinge of bluey/green compared to No's 3,4 & 5.

2. Nice moment between your Mrs and your little lad. I like the closeness of the hand holding, makes me wonder what their thinking, looking out over the water.

3. Its all about the eyes. They are superb, look almost glass like and they really pop. The focus is spot on and dead sharp. The bright colour of her coat against the toned down muted background. Probably my favourite of the set.

4. I like how you've captured something so simple as a gate to lead you into the picture to the main focal point, very clever. I do however agree with an above comment that the big gate post to the left of the image is competing for space in the frame with your Mrs.

5. Nice, simple clean pose. Really causal looking. I'd like to have seen a bit more dead space to the right, I think that could have just added to the image.

Overall a nice set. What does the Mrs think of them? Is she a willing model for you?

They're all perfectly pleasing portraits. I like the framing and feel of all of them. The leaning against the tree is a bit of a cliché I'd have avoided, and out of all of them, looks the most posed/staged/forced. Other than that. not much to say. These are shots of your family, yes? As such, they're really strong images you'll treasure in years to come.

I'm not a fan of the processing. The highlights look a little crushed and it's affecting the tonal range of the skin a bit too much. Also, that raised curve toe that destroys the blacks is very overused these days. I suppose your opinion of this depends on your photographic history: This generation likes it because it looks "filmic" but anyone who actually shot film will probably think this is the look of a poorly processed RA4 print from an under-exposed negative. That's what I see: Prints from an under exposed C41 neg. So yeah... it looks like film... but it looks like badly exposed and poorly printed film to me. I just don't get the obsession with destroying your blacks these days.

Processing aside.... they're really nice images. Nice use of longer focal lengths too.

1 and 4 for me - they both make good eye contact and the face is the most pleasing shape.

I can see exactly what Pookeyhead means about the processing, although because it's such a long way in my past my reaction was "oh look, classic faded 1970s C41". Chances are, if you worked as a professional in those days this look is exactly what you tried to avoid, but now just like a warm B&W print it is charming.

Wow
Thank you all for all the constructive feedback lots to read through and take on board and I really appreciate it. I must admit the PP is all the rage at the moment and one im trying to get consistent. but do struggle as I don't know how to do I just use a action for photoshop then fine tune the layers but getting repeatability is difficult.

Love number one, what split tone is going on? Can you post the settings, love that one!

sorry Andy its all done in the action I use so wouldn't be able to say how if I wanted :confused:

They're all perfectly pleasing portraits. I like the framing and feel of all of them. The leaning against the tree is a bit of a cliché I'd have avoided, and out of all of them, looks the most posed/staged/forced. Other than that. not much to say. These are shots of your family, yes? As such, they're really strong images you'll treasure in years to come.

I'm not a fan of the processing. The highlights look a little crushed and it's affecting the tonal range of the skin a bit too much. Also, that raised curve toe that destroys the blacks is very overused these days. I suppose your opinion of this depends on your photographic history: This generation likes it because it looks "filmic" but anyone who actually shot film will probably think this is the look of a poorly processed RA4 print from an under-exposed negative. That's what I see: Prints from an under exposed C41 neg. So yeah... it looks like film... but it looks like badly exposed and poorly printed film to me. I just don't get the obsession with destroying your blacks these days.

Processing aside.... they're really nice images. Nice use of longer focal lengths too.

I appreciate the look and pp may not be appealing to every one but its one I like and more important the missus does and im from this generation :D lol..... Ive only been shooting 2 years so only know digital, thank for the feedback tho (y)
A lovely set of images, really like the processing. There seems to be a trend of this type of processing on a few sets on here, the bold colours are there! but are ever so slightly toned down.

1. Love the pose and the completely obliterated creamy background, haven't got the foggiest what the background is. The bright green line to the left is slightly distracting and I must admit that I prefer idea of Lez325's crop, but like you said it needs to be the same ratio as originally took. So more dead space to the right to even the balance. It also appears to have a slight colour cast to it and tinge of bluey/green compared to No's 3,4 & 5.

2. Nice moment between your Mrs and your little lad. I like the closeness of the hand holding, makes me wonder what their thinking, looking out over the water.

3. Its all about the eyes. They are superb, look almost glass like and they really pop. The focus is spot on and dead sharp. The bright colour of her coat against the toned down muted background. Probably my favourite of the set.

4. I like how you've captured something so simple as a gate to lead you into the picture to the main focal point, very clever. I do however agree with an above comment that the big gate post to the left of the image is competing for space in the frame with your Mrs.

5. Nice, simple clean pose. Really causal looking. I'd like to have seen a bit more dead space to the right, I think that could have just added to the image.

Overall a nice set. What does the Mrs think of them? Is she a willing model for you?

Thanks for taking the time to critique all taken board. the missus likes them but gets a little ticked off with me point the camera in her face all the time :D

Back