Portraits of local residents for magazine

Name
Briony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am currently working with Mile2, which is a project developed by my University to help residents within a square mile of Leicester city centre in various ways. Lots of my work has already been used on their website, which you can visit here for more info: www.dmu.ac.uk/about-dmu/the-mile2-project/the-square-mile-project.aspx

I've been working with them for a while, and they're in the process of bringing out a new community magazine, featuring lots of local residents. I have been going out to photograph some of these people for the magazine, which will be accompanying an article and interview.

Here are a few of my photographs. Jean is a lady who makes almost all of her own clothes. I can't remember the exact numbers but when we visited her, she had drawers full of tops she had made and two wardrobes packed with homemade dresses and coats. She was a fantastic character! Adrian, also known as "can man" is a resident who is actually doing a fantastic job for the environment - he has collected and recycled absolutely thousands of cans over the last few years - almost 60,000! He does it completely off his own back.

Thought I'd share a few images and get some feedback :)

8402392241_8921dd6e26_z.jpg

Jean 1

8403481780_9b7754942b_z.jpg

Jean 2

8413483305_36df5c61ee_z.jpg

"Can man" 1

8413482983_6df5144425_z.jpg

"Can man" 2

Nice stories :)

I am sure these will work well in the magazine, I'm not overly keen on the lighting in the first two; but you got the job done.

The 3rd image is really nice.

good job

Thanks Joe :)

There wasn't much I could do about the lighting to be honest. I couldn't take a lighting kit out from Uni (and there was literally no room to put it on the floor anyway in her house!) so all I had was a flashgun, and I don't own a diffuser or anything similar.

Nice enough- not too keen on the over exposed snow to be perfectly honest

If I had to choose the best one - it would be No1 for me :clap:

Les (y)

I think with the can man pictures you need to show some cans as it the the key part of what he does. With newspapers and magazines I always try and tell the story in pictures, so if the story had no words the person looking at the picture would understand what it could be all about.

I think with the can man pictures you need to show some cans as it the the key part of what he does. With newspapers and magazines I always try and tell the story in pictures, so if the story had no words the person looking at the picture would understand what it could be all about.

Thanks for your comments. The bag he is holding actually has cans in, but it was difficult to hold it in a way that I could see the cans in them. Also, the back of his bike/trolley says 'can man' and is what holds the cans that he collects :)

Thanks for your comments. The bag he is holding actually has cans in, but it was difficult to hold it in a way that I could see the cans in them. Also, the back of his bike/trolley says 'can man' and is what holds the cans that he collects :)

This is my point, you should not have to read it on the back of the bike the picture should show cans, he is the "Can Man" :) Ditch the orange bag and get him cradling a selection of cans in his arms whilst sat on the bike(y)

This is my point, you should not have to read it on the back of the bike the picture should show cans, he is the "Can Man" :) Ditch the orange bag and get him cradling a selection of cans in his arms whilst sat on the bike(y)

I see your point :) but I definitely couldn't have done that - the park was completely iced over and we all had trouble enough as it was standing up!

Hi Bri,

Looking at the first two I see some issues with the light. In the first it is badly balanced - the background is too dark - and needed a fill light (maybe off the ceiling).

The second one is worse as it looks like you've just blasted her with a bare speedlight just off camera. In these situations it is worth either bouncing on camera flash and balancing with the natural light or shooting in manual and killing all the ambient and bouncing light off the ceiling if you only have one, or using one off the ceiling for fill and another in a small brolly to sculpt the face. (my preference in the dark like this).

Hi Bri,

Looking at the first two I see some issues with the light. In the first it is badly balanced - the background is too dark - and needed a fill light (maybe off the ceiling).

The second one is worse as it looks like you've just blasted her with a bare speedlight just off camera. In these situations it is worth either bouncing on camera flash and balancing with the natural light or shooting in manual and killing all the ambient and bouncing light off the ceiling if you only have one, or using one off the ceiling for fill and another in a small brolly to sculpt the face. (my preference in the dark like this).

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your feedback on the lighting, it's helpful and I'll take it on board :) I tried to open the curtains to get some natural light in but it barely made a difference as the room was so dark and it was miserable outside. We can borrow two umbrellas from Uni but I had to walk to and from the location (not the nicest of areas) and it wasn't really practical, so all I had to use was the flashgun!

its a start, but for stuff like this its all about telling the story, as others have said, you can't assume people know whats happening or that they will read the text,

try bouncing flash, using flash triggers, there is plenty you can do here with a flash gun, its all i use daily, its practice tho.

get the cans out, get him doing his job, tell the story, my pic editor would say... wheres the cans, whats his job? go re shoot lol no use using the ice as an excuse, it won't work in the real world I'm afraid. get him on the grass, where its softer on foot, or off the ice all together, think about angles and view points, what about looking up, wide angle a the grabber coming at camera, tell the story,

the women, get low maybe have her eyes level with the needle the lens the other side looking through nice tight detailed shot, then how about showing all her cloths? have her surrounded by them maybe? so much is possible with her, use the window light, shoot about 2.8 bounce a tiny bit of flash in if needed, your flash is far too high!

hope this helps:)

Like your images and the replies.
Tom________________ I like how you have given us an insight of how we should be thinking. I find there is a lack of information on the web as regards to taking descent images in everyday homes with the clutter and tight spaces along with just using your camera and a speedlight.

Gaz

Back