Critique Portraits with a monopod

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
I've been watching the Damien Lovegrove DVDs bought second on hand on here and thought I'd crack out the monopod.

Have to say I'm a convert - I found it so much easier!

Question - I need to buy an 'L' plate - is there a specific type I need. I'm using a manfrotto with quick release plate.

Thanks for looking and happy for C&C, Mandy

Amanda Herbert Photography by M@ndy, on Flickr

I use one of these - Manfrotto MS050M4-Q2 L Shape Bracket for Camera

I have never used a monopod : how did one make things easier? Were you able to use lower shutter speeds and, therefore, a lower ISO?

Nice selection, I use eBay cguk for my 'L' plates (Sunwayphoto) ... excellent price and service

These are exceptionally good, except maybe the last one, which looks a little loose to me. I've used monopods before but in good lighting can't see too much of a benefit other than slowing you down a little which I guess has its pros and cons. Really like your processing of the model.

I have never used a monopod : how did one make things easier? Were you able to use lower shutter speeds and, therefore, a lower ISO?
Hi Amanda,

Really like all of those, especially the last - great work.

I haven't seen the DL DVD - what are the main advantages of using a monopod for portrait work? Purely for sharpness?
Might give it a go! :)

It all started when I doing the shoot below and my focus point was wavering all over the place. The lady was teasing saying my hands were shaking because I'd skipped tea time. The truth is I'm out of shape.

So I decided to give the monopod one more try before I sell it off.

The Exif is on flickr and I was surprised myself at the settings.

For me, the main advantage was that:
1. I could let the monopod take the weight of the camera.
2. I could swing the camera away from my face and interact with my subject.
3. I felt super confident I was getting the shots - which inspired confidence.

I was eager to use f1.4 etc and see how far I could push it. I would never go below f2.8 without worrying about losing focus.

These are exceptionally good, except maybe the last one, which looks a little loose to me. I've used monopods before but in good lighting can't see too much of a benefit other than slowing you down a little which I guess has its pros and cons. Really like your processing of the model.

I like this shot - but only because I was bumbling around so I'm fond of the memory.

Slowing down with the monopod seemed to work to my advantage. I'd take it steady, compose the shot and moved on quicker knowing I'd got at least 1 image tack sharp. I was trying to emulate Lovegrove - he'd take time to explain why the shot worked, tweaked the composition and pose and then nailed it. Once he had one successful shot, he moved on. I have a feeling I might cover more ground and exhaust the model less with this new approach? Although time will tell.

It all started when I doing the shoot below and my focus point was wavering all over the place. The lady was teasing saying my hands were shaking because I'd skipped tea time. The truth is I'm out of shape.

So I decided to give the monopod one more try before I sell it off.

The Exif is on flickr and I was surprised myself at the settings.

For me, the main advantage was that:
1. I could let the monopod take the weight of the camera.
2. I could swing the camera away from my face and interact with my subject.
3. I felt super confident I was getting the shots - which inspired confidence.

I was eager to use f1.4 etc and see how far I could push it. I would never go below f2.8 without worrying about losing focus.

All makes sense and it obviously works for you as these are fantastic! Gotta be worth a try :)

Thanks for your reply, Manda. In recent months I have begun to form the opinion that I am something of a "shaky" photographer and it looks like a monopod will help.

Nice set!

Just for clarity, I'm assuming the monopod was used as a boom arm for your light source?

S

Edit. Just seen the above post - ignore this!

Last edited:
Nice set!

Just for clarity, I'm assuming the monopod was used as a boom arm for your light source?

S

Edit. Just seen the above post - ignore this!
Thanks for popping by - I love your exploration into lighting and am often inspired by your work. I only have a polystyrene head to play with which isn't quite the same as your family shots! Mandy

Ah, that's very kind of you to say.

Often thought about having a polystyrene head to speed up changing lighting round - so that when I shoot the kids I can concentrate more on them and not the camera/lighting - that all eats away at time better spent interacting with my kids to get decent poses/expressions!

These are great, love em. Are they all natural light?

Did you do much pp wise?

Last edited:
These are great, love em. Are they all natural light?

Did you do much pp wise?

You can track my processing shared in this thread (post 7).

I have it set up to run as a batch action which I run on groups of images and tweak to taste.

#3 had the most - it was two stops over exposed, on similar images I cloned more trees in the background and reintroduced lens flare. All done for my own pleasure, you'd never take it take far for a paying client.

Thanks Mandy

Ah, that's very kind of you to say.

Often thought about having a polystyrene head to speed up changing lighting round - so that when I shoot the kids I can concentrate more on them and not the camera/lighting - that all eats away at time better spent interacting with my kids to get decent poses/expressions!

Mine's even got a floral headpiece on it! I'll try and find a throw away shot to share!

I have never used a monopod when there is sufficient light that I can get speed up double the lens. N2 looks overexposed to me and the big light contrast in forest background from too dark to extremely bright is out of my taste. Last photo my favorite, nice wide aperture shot.

Generally quite lovely. The only advice I would give is to prevent models from holding their arms tight to any other part of the body as it doesn't look elegant. It makes the limbs squash and look ungainly.

A beautiful set of images, have liked your Fb page and will be looking at your other threads, thanks for sharing...never used an L Plate but may give it a go.

Lovely shots (y)

Didn't really understand the use of the monopod initially but now you've explained it it does make sense... its maybe something I'll look into when I get my portrait lens as it may help with my disability (y)

Lovely shots (y)

Didn't really understand the use of the monopod initially but now you've explained it it does make sense... its maybe something I'll look into when I get my portrait lens as it may help with my disability (y)

It's certainly given me confidence - it also comes as a handy stick for beating off silly people - I've have had youths hanging out trying to chat up my models in the last two sessions, tiresome to say the least!

Back