postal insurance not needed ?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I am sending my lens off for a service and slight calibration...its costing £36 by UPS lancashire to canon RCC ... They wanted an extra £122 insurance as i value the lens at £5k (its a canon 400m f2.8L)

So i double checked with my insurers cliik who say I am already covered with them

Point of my post being.. dont pay extra for insurance when posting your camera gear before checking if already covered :)

I am sending my lens off for a service and slight calibration...its costing £36 by UPS lancashire to canon RCC ... They wanted an extra £122 insurance as i value the lens at £5k (its a canon 400m f2.8L)

So i double checked with my insurers cliik who say I am already covered with them

Point of my post being.. dont pay extra for insurance when posting your camera gear before checking if already covered :)
You could have dropped it off yourself at Calumet in Manchester and they post it on to Elstree FOC

You could have dropped it off yourself at Calumet in Manchester and they post it on to Elstree FOC

I know I got in touch asking if they did lens calibration as it seems they do from there website.. it would seem all repairs they do..they dont.. they send them to elstree. which is a bit of a con in my book.... i doubt they do anything out of the goodness of there heart.. also i need back before weekend so I decided to cut out the third party :)

That's interesting, when I rang Cliik last year when I was sending my 500 f4 off to Nikon they told me I wasn't covered by them when sending kit away. I was told the only postal losses I'd be covered for would be if I had a customer order go missing in the post. Not sure if they have different policies with different levels of cover but at £30 a month mine isn't exactly cheap.

Well I am glad I didnt phone to ask.. got it in writing albiet electronic :)

PS I explained exactly what i was sending, who to and why.... so no missunderstanding..

Oh well, you should be fine then. Next time I won't bother asking a voice on the end of the phone. ;)

That's interesting, when I rang Cliik last year when I was sending my 500 f4 off to Nikon they told me I wasn't covered by them when sending kit away. I was told the only postal losses I'd be covered for would be if I had a customer order go missing in the post. Not sure if they have different policies with different levels of cover but at £30 a month mine isn't exactly cheap.

You were told wrong then, it's covered in the Goods In Transit cover they give you which is up to £5k. Covers items being sent in connection with your business. I had same as Kipax, sending stuff to Canon and courier wanted £80 to insure it as was worth £3k. Rang Cliik and spoke to Steve and he confirmed that's were the cover is. Don't pay couriers a penny now I know that I have up to £5k in cover as part of my policy.

That's more than a little irritating given that I paid through the nose to send it insured.

That's more than a little irritating given that I paid through the nose to send it insured.

erk :(

the first time.. quite a few yrs ago.. I didnt even ask.. i decided a 500 mile round trip in the car was cheaper than a courier..... had a nice day out :)

Nice? Five hundred miles in one day in a car is my idea of hell!

Steve.

Over 40 yrs of driving..... Love it...novelty has never worn off :)

Back