Critique Powderham Deer

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
*Updated photos in new thread*

Hi all,

I got a couple of shots of the Deer at Powderham Castle this weekend, however I didn't notice the VR was off until I got home.
I was a little disappointed with the image quality, so obviously I got something wrong...
Short of ensuring VR was on, or using a tripod, how could I have got a better shot with my existing equipment? (D7000 & Tamron 70-300 f/4-56 Di VC USD)
I want to go back and try again so any tips appreciated!
These have a little PP to make them pop as they were flat.
Many thanks!

Powderham Deer by Steve B, on Flickr
300mm
f/5.6
ISO 400
1/320 sec

300mm
f/5.6
ISO 400
1/400 sec

300mm
f/5.6
ISO 400
1/1000 sec

Last edited:
Steve, what is you're not happy with?

The shots look sharp enough, I would have said your biggest problem with the first 2 is they're sat in shade with bright sunlight behind.

Being an ex D7000 user and still having it, as long as exposure on the subject was bang on, I was never scared to push the ISO up to 3200, happily 1600, so you certainly had the opportunity for faster shutter speeds

They also look to be suffering a wb issues caused by them being laid in shade.

Tbh , apart from the wb, there's not a lot wrong with the first two, here's a quick edit.

All I've done is selectively warmed just the stag and added a bit of vibrance, then reduced the blue channel, edited with Elements 14.

If you'd like to know what I've done in more detail, I'll try explain :)

37329738440_7623da5d46_c edit.jpg

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your feedback. I think what is bothering me is if you look around the antlers in the large version of the image, it looks quite soft. I guess I'm just looking for some extra sharpness but need to accept at 300mm that may not be possible.
Thank you for the ISO tip - I'm going to give that a try.
I overlaid your image against mine by opening in new tabs and quickly flicking between them. It wasn't until I did this I realised how much more blue tint there was in mine! Thanks for pointing this out. I've got Lightroom so I'll give it a tweak in there. :)

Thanks again!

P.S. I've just seen the images on your Flickr and now I want a 600mm lens!

Last edited:
Steve by pushing the iso not only to your grab the chance of more SS but also dof,Increasing the f will give you greater dof hence more of the buck will be sharp. ,In this case you could have backed off just slightly to give a bit more room to the base and maybe fs you so desired shift the buck right a bit give him a bit more to look into via your focal points,try to frame rather than crop mate,if we crop we loose detail.. Bro this is all very much your choice Phil's got you going,I just wanted to be sure you have got your head around the dof side really mate

Steve I'm learning too,but I'm really being schooled to push iso,this mindset is starting to get me images I wouldn't have otherwise all the luck mate fallow are wonderful deer I like your first image the most lovely to see a pale buck,we don't have many in the wild herd we try to see

stu

Back