Powering studio heads on location

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Im looking at getting some studio flash heads. Ideally i want a battery powered travel kit, as it will mostly be equestrian/rock climbing shoots im using it for.

However, i drive a 4x4 with split charge system and a big power inverter. Do you think i could get away with powering 2x600w heads from an extension lead from my inverter or even a genset? Its a 2000w modified sine wave inverter.

I ask simply because i can afford to buy a way better quality mains powered system than i could a battery system, and i will only be using it 3 or 4 times a year.

Thanks
Rich

Generator would be a better bet. Whilst you COULD do it off the inverter, it wont last long and won't be good for the battery.

Assuming the inverter is 80% efficient (will be pretty close to that):

Power from inverter = 1200W
Power into inverter = 1500W

Current into inverter = Power/Voltage = 1500/12 = 125A.

That's a LOT sustained from a battery. Assuming a large 120Ah battery, which is on the big side. You would technically get just under an hour of runtime, but more likely half that as batteries have less useful capacity the more heavily you drain them. That would also be completely full to completely flat, and even leisure batteries don't like full discharges.

Better bet would be a Safari or Atom.... Speak to Garry

I guess i better add more to this. Im actually an electrical engineer by trade/qualification, my main concern was wether the flashes would mind being ran from a modified/quasi sine wave inverter as opposed to a pure sine. Power capacity wise, the truck is running on two 110ah batteries, one being a deep cycle. The monitor has alarms and cut offs, if the alarm goes off i just have to turn the truck back on, it has a 140a alternator too which is handy.

Pete, the Safari is exactly what im after, but at twice the price of a good second hand mains powered bowens system, i couldnt justify it for twice a year use.

Thanks for the help guys
Rich

if you're nearish London, Birmingham or Edinburgh, just rent either a profoto or elinchrom battery system when you need it. Far cheaper and easier :)

I see from your post that you haven't got the flash heads yet.

I'm wondering whether the best solution for your very occasional use might be one of the cheap and very nast flask kits sold on ebay - just don't expect them to deliver on their performance claims.
Their electronics are primitive and they will probably work with your split charger system - as you're an electrical engineer you'll appreciate that modern, sophisticated flash heads need much cleaner power.
Or get some of the very old second hand good name units, for the same reason - but we're probably talking about at least 20 years old, and neither option will produce very high power.

Basically, what we're talking about here is getting flashes that will work with your MSWI instead of getting one of these to power modern heads.

The best option of course, based on performance, value and portability, is the Safari 2 but, as you say, it's expensive for very occasional use. How about the Atom instead? Still not cheap but very portable, and much more powerful than ordinary hotshoe flashguns.
And if that's too expensive, how about getting a few old hothoe flashguns from car boot sales or similar and cobbling them together?

You could consider the Bowens Travel Pak. Works as a dedicated battery for up to two of their mains powered heads (with some loss of functionality). Works well as well, but pushes price up well into portable lights territory

if you're nearish London, Birmingham or Edinburgh, just rent either a profoto or elinchrom battery system when you need it. Far cheaper and easier :)

Renting would be pefect to be honest, but im in Newcastle and there are very few rental places near to me!

I see from your post that you haven't got the flash heads yet.

I'm wondering whether the best solution for your very occasional use might be one of the cheap and very nast flask kits sold on ebay - just don't expect them to deliver on their performance claims.
Their electronics are primitive and they will probably work with your split charger system - as you're an electrical engineer you'll appreciate that modern, sophisticated flash heads need much cleaner power.
Or get some of the very old second hand good name units, for the same reason - but we're probably talking about at least 20 years old, and neither option will produce very high power.

Basically, what we're talking about here is getting flashes that will work with your MSWI instead of getting one of these to power modern heads.

The best option of course, based on performance, value and portability, is the Safari 2 but, as you say, it's expensive for very occasional use. How about the Atom instead? Still not cheap but very portable, and much more powerful than ordinary hotshoe flashguns.
And if that's too expensive, how about getting a few old hothoe flashguns from car boot sales or similar and cobbling them together?

Thanks for the reply Gary.

I had thought about the cheap kits, but to be honest i would rather have the reliability of a branded second hand system and a bit less inconvenience of working out a power supply for it!

My other option was to build my own battery power supply for them, however without knowing the fundamental components of an off the shelf system, it will be hard. Im assuming the travel flash systems use a lower voltage flash tube to avoid having to use quite a large inverter to step up battery voltage? And the control system is DC as opposed to AC?

I already have 2 430exii's. But my impression was that i would need a considerable about to be able to match the performance of a twin 600w head system.

If this gives you any help, the main style of photograph im looking to produce is this, from the equestrian thread;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manc_man/14345016150/in/photostream/

Rich

You could consider the Bowens Travel Pak. Works as a dedicated battery for up to two of their mains powered heads (with some loss of functionality). Works well as well, but pushes price up well into portable lights territory

At £500, plus £500 for a decent bowens second hand kit, i'd probably rather go with the brand new Safari kit for not much more. However this makes me think its perfectly possible for me to create something like this for a mains powered system, and perhaps there is actually very little difference between a travel and mains powered head.

Rich

Renting would be pefect to be honest, but im in Newcastle and there are very few rental places near to me!

Thanks for the reply Gary.

I had thought about the cheap kits, but to be honest i would rather have the reliability of a branded second hand system and a bit less inconvenience of working out a power supply for it!

My other option was to build my own battery power supply for them, however without knowing the fundamental components of an off the shelf system, it will be hard. Im assuming the travel flash systems use a lower voltage flash tube to avoid having to use quite a large inverter to step up battery voltage? And the control system is DC as opposed to AC?

I already have 2 430exii's. But my impression was that i would need a considerable about to be able to match the performance of a twin 600w head system.

If this gives you any help, the main style of photograph im looking to produce is this, from the equestrian thread;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manc_man/14345016150/in/photostream/

Rich
Yes, Units such as the Safari generally run at around 700v, which is considerably less than mains powered units, and the power supply is DC

Do you think i could get away with powering 2x600w heads from an extension lead from my inverter or even a genset? Its a 2000w modified sine wave inverter.

If you leave the engine running, yes.

Personally I'm not a fan of batteries, and if I ever shoot away from the studio with lamps and there's no power available, I use a suitcase generator with pure sine wave inverter.

Back